Medical School with Schizoaffective Disorder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ellatha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I began developing schizoaffective disorder at 19 and the disease gradually grew worse over time. Eventually I developed full-blown psychosis and couldn't study or really do anything, causing me to flunk out of dental school.

Now I take a monthly injection and all of my symptoms have disappeared. As long as I take this injection, my symptoms are under control. What are your thoughts about me potentially applying to medical school? Also, would I be able to get licensed even if I did graduate from medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Very sorry to hear about this.

A long stretch of academic excellence during rigorous coursework, such as in an SNP, will allay Adcoms concerns.

But make sure that your disease is under 100% control. Medical school is a furnace, and I've seen it break even healthy students. The #1 reason my school loses students to withdrawal, dismissal or LOA is to unresolved mental health issues.

Reactions: 3 users
I began developing schizoaffective disorder at 19 and the disease gradually grew worse over time. Eventually I developed full-blown psychosis and couldn't study or really do anything, causing me to flunk out of dental school.

Now I take a monthly injection and all of my symptoms have disappeared. As long as I take this injection, my symptoms are under control. What are your thoughts about me potentially applying to medical school? Also, would I be able to get licensed even if I did graduate from medical school?
It's understandable that you want back into the health professions after getting your symptoms under control. But the fact of the matter is that you flunked out of dental school due to psychosis. Even if you do not disclose the gory details in the admissions process it's going to raise many questions. The journey from premed to licensed, board-certified physician is a long and arduous one, and healthcare is the most heavily regulated industry in the country. If I were in your shoes I would find another path. Good luck.

Reactions: 4 users