Medical Schools in China and CUCAS Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jowo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey forum,

I am looking to apply for medical school in China that are taught in English. I already have a bachelor's degree and completed my premed reqs.

So my question is whether medical schools in China can make any accommodations to have my premed courses transferred and cut down on the number of years from the typical 6 to 4 like in the states.

I would also like to know if CUCAS can help with things like this and which schools should I be considering.

Thanks all in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey forum,

I am looking to apply for medical school in China that are taught in English. I already have a bachelor's degree and completed my premed reqs.

So my question is whether medical schools in China can make any accommodations to have my premed courses transferred and cut down on the number of years from the typical 6 to 4 like in the states.

I would also like to know if CUCAS can help with things like this and which schools should I be considering.

Thanks all in advance.
Yes, most of the medical schools in China can provide accomodation and whether you have premed courses or not, you have to start from the first year, which is regulated by the MOE, China. But the duration of MBBS programs in some universities like Tongji University and Central South University is 5 years.

Yes, CUCAS can provide accommodaton booking service. In addition, there're consultant service, and free express delivery of admission package service etc.

For MBBS programs in China you can visit: http://mbbs.cucas.edu.cn/
and for other medical programs you can find at: http://www.cucas.edu.cn/BachelorsDegree_new.shtml

Well my question was whether I can shorten the period of study by transferring some classes over to them.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the length reply, I am actually from USA but I am Chinese.
Do you know anything about China medical university in Shenyang?

I am looking into their English program as well.

Thank again

thank you very much, I will await your response

I want to go to China frankly because medical schools here in the states is too competitive and I want a change of scenery.

btw I am from Beijing

I tried emailing and calling the cucas website, no one answered.
Are you a representative for them?

Yes, most of the medical schools in China can provide accomodation and whether you have premed courses or not, you have to start from the first year, which is regulated by the MOE, China. But the duration of MBBS programs in some universities like Tongji University and Central South University is 5 years.

Yes, CUCAS can provide accommodaton booking service. In addition, there're consultant service, and free express delivery of admission package service etc.

For MBBS programs in China you can visit: http://mbbs.cucas.edu.cn/
and for other medical programs you can find at: http://www.cucas.edu.cn/BachelorsDegree_new.shtml

I tried to email and call the cucas office but got no answer.

I tried to email and call the cucas office but got no answer.
Hi, you can call CUCAS at 86-10-82865135 on work days, or send an email to [email protected] anytime . And you can not shorten the period of study for the medical universities in China do not accept credit transfer. China Medical University is a good and reputed university. You can view the details about its MBBS program at:http://mbbs.cucas.edu.cn/HomePage/Univ_9.shtml or its official website.

To the last two posters,

The thing is I am looking at this program with China Medical University, here is their website.

www.bethhealth.com

Since its a new program I just want to find out as much as I can.

And can you tell me a bit about a master degree in medicine from China?

What does that translate into in the US?

In terms of the USMLE I was thinking about taking it in China and then do one year of internship here in the states at the end of my studies in China.

I have not looked too much into MBBS programs in the UK can you recommend one?

Thanks

No, you can't. The biggest thing you need to be careful with are the school rankings there. They are actually tailored and government controlled. I lived in China for 3 years and worked with Zhejiang University in Hangzhou and the dean there is actually a family friend. (wife is from china)

Zhejiang's Medical school is actually a lot better than both of Shanghai's but you'll see it appears that Shanghai is better...trust me...it is not! Wenzhou is even worse but it appears as a pretty good school. The doctors that come out of Wenzhou actually tell patients who have cyst, depending on the location (ie: ovaries, abdomen) to wait until it pops, they can save money that way instead of having surgery....WHAT!

Good schools would be the Beijing's Schools, mainly because they have foreign teachers teaching in the University but Zhejiang is great too because it has the international clinic. These are doctors that come in from the US, they are on rotation so come over and stay anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months, teach the doctors there, deal with foreigners and teach the mbbs students hands on. So you can get classroom foreign doctors or clinic/hands on foreign doctors...I'd take Zhejiang. And they are doing a lot of research atm with stem cells. There Chinese doctors that work in the international clinic are pretty good as well. My wifes OBGYN when she got pregnant there graduated from Zhejiang and then did an 8 year residency at Georgetown, so some of them are quite qualified. An Hui is also not so bad, I met a great doctor from An Hui but there Surgical area is deeply lacking. It takes them 2 hours longer to do a knee replacement than in the states.

The biggest issue with going to one of these MBBS programs is that they aren't worth much when you return to the US. You are still required to pass the USMLE to practice in the states and even when you do, are still not granted the title of MD. Also, the laws dealing with medication are quite different. Some of the doctors from the US at the international clinic had trouble prescribing medications to patients because the Chinese government had outlawed them in the country. And even drugs that are similar get prescribed and different times and doses. When my brother-in-law got TB, the way they administered the medication was different and the US doctor told him to do 1 thing, the Chinese doctor had him on 6 different medications, 3 times a day for the next year. I was amazed. Also, the outlawed medications, ultimately meaning, those medicines never get taught to those in Chinese schools because they will never be using them anyway. Most schools claim they have USMLE preparation but they actually don't. They just hand you over to Kaplan and you have to purchase everything yourself, self study it and pass the exam. Most Chinese Dr.'s I've talked to find the USMLE extremely difficult to pass, so don't bother.

It's not that they are idiots, it's just that the classes are taught differently. When you get into Med School in the states, the teachers want you to succeed and teach you in a way to cover that information, it isn't quite the same overseas and with good reason. Why everything needed in the USMLE if they don't need everything in it to be doctors and the government excludes certain drugs from it anyways. So make sure you take the time to go over there before you take that step. Most of the MBBS students are from India and Africa, only 3 US students in the program last year, not sure if they stayed.

A direct quote from a very good Chinese friend of mine who is a Dr. there that graduated from Anhui, "American Residents are Chinese Attending".

Damn......you really changed my outlook of Chinese medical universities.
I would just like to ask you a few questions:
1) Does that mean it would be VERY hard for me to pass the USMLE test if i study in china?
2)even If i did good they won't give MD? i dint get that part....please elaborate.

Here is my blog about ZJU, http://usufshakeel.blogspot.com as you are a current student I would like your opinion about my blog and whether I should edit anything here, add or delete anything else.
I am mainly going to Zhejiang as it is cheap and recognized. is there any other University in the world you would like to suggest to me?
I would really appreciate it.

Hey forum,

Thanks all in advance.

China has real academic programs which cost less than $2,000 USD per year.

As I can see that your initial question wasn't answered, let me try and elaborate a little based on what I've come to know.

Almost all Chinese schools (medical) want you to start from the first year because they're unfamiliar with the courses offered by universities in other countries. However, you might be able to negotiate with some universities (depending on what and how long you've studied for) about which year you're able to continue studying from (at your new medical university in China).

The key is to recognize that you need to get in touch with the right people at the university, who are able to make decisions regarding which year you may continue studying from - this is the difficult part because representatives on behalf of Chinese medical universities don't primarily speak great English all the time.
If you're not able to arrange anything when you initially apply to a certain school, then maybe try negotiating with them once you've been accepted and start attending the school in China (if this is an option).

Hope you've found a good university.

Regards,
The guys over at http://www.studymedicineinchina.co.za