Medical schools that emphasize human rights, humanities, or service to disadvantaged populations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ramona Flowers

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new here, this is pretty self explanatory by the title, but here it goes.

I'm looking to apply for the 2021 entering class, mostly likely to MD. I want to eventually be an OBGYN for disadvantaged populations. The dream is to be accepted into the National Health Service Corps Program.
A lot of my work in undergrad has focused on social justice, community service, and reproductive healthcare. I work a lot with sexual assault prevention, homeless pregnant women, and rural clinics in Mexico.

I think my experiences would cater toward programs also emphasizing community service, work with disadvantaged populations, and human rights. I am very politically engaged and want to continue this focus in my medical school career.

Any programs/medical schools that particularly emphasize these kinds of work, or holistic medical care?

Thanks all!!

Members don't see this ad.

Creighton
Rush
Tulane
Morehouse
Meharry
Howard
UCLA-Drew

to name but a few

Members don't see this ad :)
[
I’d add Long in San Antonio to that list.

QUOTE="Ramona Flowers, post: 20553563, member: 962783"]Hi! I'm new here, this is pretty self explanatory by the title, but here it goes.

I'm looking to apply for the 2021 entering class, mostly likely to MD. I want to eventually be an OBGYN for disadvantaged populations. The dream is to be accepted into the National Health Service Corps Program.
A lot of my work in undergrad has focused on social justice, community service, and reproductive healthcare. I work a lot with sexual assault prevention, homeless pregnant women, and rural clinics in Mexico.

I think my experiences would cater toward programs also emphasizing community service, work with disadvantaged populations, and human rights. I am very politically engaged and want to continue this focus in my medical school career.

Any programs/medical schools that particularly emphasize these kinds of work, or holistic medical care?

Thanks all!![/QUOTE]
Creighton
Rush
Tulane
Morehouse
Meharry
Howard
UCLA-Drew

to name but a few

Georgetown seems like a great fit for you.

I would add USC to the list. Their main teaching hospital is LA County and they definitely had a focus on social justice based on my interview day and conversations with current student.
If you're from California, I would add UCR too.

UCSF seems really into the LGBTQ+ rights thing.

MSU-CHM seemed very LGBTQ+ friendly and focuses heavily on serving disadvantaged populations, although they tend to focus more on disadvantage in MI. Also very humanities focused.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I'm new here, this is pretty self explanatory by the title, but here it goes.

Thanks all!!

I would consider Florida International University if you have any connection to Hispanic populations. They are very, very “save the world” types. And their dean is an OBGyn from Johns Hopkins. Despite being a new state school their match list regularly places people at some of the best OB programs around.

Also if you want to do public health type stuff, I’ve gotta shamelessly plug UMiami’s MD-MPH dual degree program (my school). Population level health care for those in need is what we do here. And we work with largely underserved Hispanic populations, and have a student run reproductive health advocacy clinic where you can have your own patients starting first year. Seems like it’d be right up your alley!

If you are strongly oriented toward reproductive rights including abortion and contraception, I would not recommend G'town, Loyola, Creighton (or St. Louis U, which has not otherwise been mentioned in this thread). They are Jesuit schools which are big on "treating the whole person" but hamstrung by rules based on Catholic moral teaching.

Reactions: 6 users
If you are strongly oriented toward reproductive rights including abortion and contraception, I would not recommend G'town, Loyola, Creighton (or St. Louis U, which has not otherwise been mentioned in this thread). They are Jesuit schools which are big on "treating the whole person" but hamstrung by rules based on Catholic moral teaching.

I second this.

As a (happy) graduate of one of these school, I agree. Mostly.

I had a classmate who was into the exact same thing as the OP-she sought out opportunities at the local free clinics (tons of service opportunities in Chicago/DC/STL-less in Omaha but still there). She did service trips NOT affiliated/sponsored by the school. She had mentors at the school and opted for residency elsewhere, as that is where Catholic teaching limited her interest/experience significantly more.

I will say this-some of the Jesuit schools really attract the service-type of student and that in itself can be a reason to attend one.

There is at least one that is more Jesuit in name only and seems to chase after numbers and money... At least from what I’ve gathered from others and SDN-I did not personally apply or interview at he school.

Reactions: 1 users
While not all schools will focus as heavily on service in the application process, I think most schools will have opportunities to pursue service, it just depends what you're interested in!

I'll shamelessly second @The Knife & Gun Club 's plug for UM's MD/MPH program. Aside from being super cool people (who me, biased?), everyone here seems to have something they are really passionate about (or finds it once they get here). There are a lot of really cool opportunities here: TONS of opportunities to work with medically underserved populations (predominantly spanish and haitian creole speaking, but many others as well), people who use injection drugs and/or experience homelessness, asylum seekers, and more. You can participate in these from either the MD or MD/MPH programs, but I feel like there's definitely a much stronger overall focus on it in the combined program.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say Medical College of Wisconsin too! The work they do in Milwaukee is incredible given Milwaukee doesn't really have the best reputation

Medical College of Georgia
Student run low income clinics (for Latinos, LGBTQ, Women, Homeless, and other general low income people in the area) to volunteer in and/or lead
Plenty of opportunity for rotations in rural areas and can rotate specifically in a local low income clinic.
Study abroad opportunities - some specifically focused on women's health

asylum seekers, and more. You can participate in these from either the MD or MD/MPH programs, but I feel like there's definitely a much stronger overall focus on it in the combined program.

Oh yea speaking of which we have a super active human trafficking clinic here too. There’s quite a big population of people recovering from human trafficking/slavery in Miami - that’s a population you could really make a difference with.

Dr. Symes, who runs the clinic, is an amazing person to work with.

Reactions: 2 users
UChicago is huge on social justice. The dean literally walked into our interview day and said "if healthcare disparities aren't what get you up in the morning and make you fired up to become a physician, then this is not the school for you."

NYU, although the administration didn't emphasize it a ton, also seems to attract a ton of social justice oriented folks because they have Bellevue Hospital, the oldest, coolest, and most famous public hospital there ever was.

I also have a strong interest in medical humanities and interviewed at several that I think would be great for you. A lot of schools give opportunities for service or to be involved in medical humanities.

Second UChicago. They have a whole course/block dedicated to Health disparities and social determinants of health and a large chunk of their class are minorities and/or politically active. Several free clinics that specifically cater to disadvantaged groups throughout South Side. Don't know how much your service interests also blends into research but they also have a dedicated research block in which you can choose a Service Learning/Community Health project.

I'd also consider UMich. Their new curriculum gives student basically their entire third year to work on whatever projects they want and gives opportunities in medical humanities and service both locally and internationally.

McGovern/Houston and, as someone else already mentioned, Long/San Antonio also seemed to have some strong programs in the Medical Humanities.

I'm from Florida, so if you have any ties there, I'd consider FIU, FAU, USF, and give another plug for UM. FIU literally mentions community involvement and developing socially conscious physicians in their mission statement/philosophy. They don't have their own hospital system so all there rotations are community focused as well as having this travel health clinic bus that goes into the community. FAU is similar in its community focus. USF has concentrations related to health disparities/medical humanities. At UM, I had my interview with Dr. Symes who threw many plugs for the MPH program and it really is top notch. I wasn't really considering an MPH and on interview day talking to Dr. Symes and seeing their presentation made me realize that was something that aligned with my interests.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Echoing the recommendation for UCSF - commitment to social justice in many facets, including underserved & uninsured populations at SFGH & Fresno, LGBT+ populations, Hispanic/Latino populations, homeless populations, and more.

Reactions: 2 users