Medical student questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I appreciate the input everyone on this thread posts. It has been very helpful to read peoples advice and opinions. I'm a third year about to start my forth and have scheduled 3 rad onc rotations at my 'home' programs (3 different programs that my school does 3rd and 4th year rotations at that don’t count as away. All middle of the road programs). Should I attempt to get into some sort of research at each of these institutions or will that spread myself too thin? During my first rad onc rotation should I attempt to get involved with research or will I be too overwhelmed with studying and working on my presentation? I was also curious to know how competitive my situation is. I'm a 3rd year at a non top 25 school step 1- 242. Average student probably exactly at the 50% mostly passes third year with 2H and 1 HP. 1 cancer related 4th author publication, radiology first author case report submitted, rad onc abstract submitted, and currently trying to get involved in new projects. Can I match this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps a slight bit of elaboration would be in order. :D

Though I think your application is quite competitive as it stands, it doesn't hurt to get involved in more research. The problem is if you rotate at a place for a month then it may be difficult (or impossible) to follow-up to complete a clinical project you started. One option would try to contribute to an existing body of work and being a co-author (not first).

You can definitely match this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I appreciate the input everyone on this thread posts. It has been very helpful to read peoples advice and opinions. I'm a third year about to start my forth and have scheduled 3 rad onc rotations at my 'home' programs (3 different programs that my school does 3rd and 4th year rotations at that don’t count as away. All middle of the road programs). Should I attempt to get into some sort of research at each of these institutions or will that spread myself too thin? During my first rad onc rotation should I attempt to get involved with research or will I be too overwhelmed with studying and working on my presentation? I was also curious to know how competitive my situation is. I'm a 3rd year at a non top 25 school step 1- 242. Average student probably exactly at the 50% mostly passes third year with 2H and 1 HP. 1 cancer related 4th author publication, radiology first author case report submitted, rad onc abstract submitted, and currently trying to get involved in new projects. Can I match this year?

Your school has 3 home programs? That's pretty unusual. Good for you!

I think attempting too many projects is going to be rough. What I'd probably do is take the first rotation to get your bearings (clinically) and shoot for a good LOR. Then start a project during your second rotation. Make sure it's something that you can feasibly get submitted for presentation/publication before applications go out (~Sept 1).

If you get a bit more radonc research under your belt, you're probably in good shape. Nothing is guaranteed, but your step 1 is fine. Clerkship scores may be a bit inhibiting, but I doubt that will push you one way or the other with a strong performance on your radonc rotations. Good luck!

I'm willing to bet that you answered the "can I match" question before you took the initiative to schedule three rad onc rotations. Your application looks great! More rad onc research definitely wouldn't hurt, but you should be focused on your performance on your rotations.

When I read your post, Wayne State came to my mind as well. Although I wouldn't characterize Beaumont as "middle of the road"...perhaps you're not at WSU. Be sure to contact the student(s) from your school who matched this year. If you are indeed at WSU, you have at least one matched student. Try to get as much info about these programs from students in your school who have rotated through. They can be of help in regards to where it would be more feasible/fruitful to complete a project while on rotation.

Have fun, be enthusiastic on rotations and try not to worry. 'Best of luck to you!

Oh, sorry.

Yes ... you will match.

-S

Perhaps a slight bit of elaboration would be in order. :D

Though I think your application is quite competitive as it stands, it doesn't hurt to get involved in more research. The problem is if you rotate at a place for a month then it may be difficult (or impossible) to follow-up to complete a clinical project you started. One option would try to contribute to an existing body of work and being a co-author (not first).

You can definitely match this year.