Medical student with couple questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted564496

Hey guys, I'm just a lowly first year medical student and I apologize in advance if this topic doesn't belong in this forum, but I genuinely just had a couple questions for any cardiology fellows or residents applying to cardiology.

I know I'm only an MS-1, but due to some "personal experiences" I have been drawn to cardiology since I decided I wanted to be a doctor. Shadowing cardiologists and taking cardio anatomy and physiology has done nothing except expand this interest. I understand that I will get a better idea of what I want to do once third year rolls around, but I can't help but wonder if there's something I need to be doing now (even as a first year) to better my odds for cardiology. I know it's a long long ways down the road, but I'm just trying to get a little guidance.

First of all, how big of a deal will research be? I know that I will most likely have to do research in residency to get into cardiology, but what about as a medical student? I have a project lined up for the summer (if I decide to do it) regarding sleep apnea and heart failure, but I don't think it's anything that will get me published, is it even worth doing? To be honest, I'd rather spend my summer being outside than in a research lab, but my future career means much more to me. :)

Should I be trying to branch out to different cardiologists? Just focus on school and not worry about it all right now? I'm sorry for being an annoying MS-1, but I just have a strong interest and I really do not even know who to ask… So whats better than anonymously posting about it on the internet? :)

I'm just looking for suggestions, even if they are to just focus on class and stop thinking about it. Again, I apologize if this is not the right place for this.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: