Medical Students + Admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any insight on how this goes about? Are there a lot of DO schools who use students during interviews and/or during committee reviews?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not really sure what you are asking. Sure, some schools do utilize interviewers, but I don't know how many.

Just wondering if any of you SDNers have partaken in the process and if there are any general tips of becoming apart of the admissions process. Do you have to apply? Or are you just chosen?

Members don't see this ad :)
We've got student interviewers. My understanding is that they volunteer to do it. I'm probably going to try to get in on the admission process next year myself, it would be an awesome way to give back. Though having input that could crush dreams is pretty hard...

Reactions: 1 user
The process probably differs at every school, but I was sent an email out of the blue offering me the opportunity to become a student interviewer. Once the administrators started thinking about the next batch they asked us if we had any names to put forward for them to look at. If you are interested in becoming one it might be worthwhile to reach out to an interviewer in the class above you, or even directly to the ADCOM. Professionalism will be the biggest quality they are looking for, and great interactions with Admins and professors will help you get in the door.

It was a pretty cool experience and I had the pleasure of talking with some great applicants. The interviews were sometimes scheduled for inopportune times, but it only ended up being an hour three or four times a month. Nothing a medical student can't handle.

We've got student interviewers. My understanding is that they volunteer to do it. I'm probably going to try to get in on the admission process next year myself, it would be an awesome way to give back. Though having input that could crush dreams is pretty hard...
My adcom told us that our evaluations wouldn't make or break someone unless there was something truly egregious. The applicants also had two faculty interviews, sessions, and tours where they were being evaluated. So our evaluations usually just fit in with a pattern, which is what the admissions committee would see.

Many schools use students as interviewers. We are considering implementing the MMI soon and students would certainly be a part of that (and were a part of all the interviews I had). We also have (non-voting) students on the admissions committee.

Many schools use students as interviewers. We are considering implementing the MMI soon and students would certainly be a part of that (and were a part of all the interviews I had). We also have (non-voting) students on the admissions committee.

I've got this strange feeling that I may be apart of this MMI process should I get selected at your school.

I've never had an MMI so I (sort of) look forward to it :p Does your sister school (CHM) do MMI?
I believe CHM does both on the same day -- though the interview portion is with a student and then the MMI is a conglomeration of students, faculty, and staff.

I actually thought the MMI was fun at the few schools I interviewed at that used it...

I believe CHM does both on the same day -- though the interview portion is with a student and then the MMI is a conglomeration of students, faculty, and staff.

I actually thought the MMI was fun at the few schools I interviewed at that used it...

That's what I've heard to for the general consensus (MMI being fun).

Just be sure not to accidentally introduce yourself as johnamo ;)

That's what I've heard to for the general consensus (MMI being fun).

Just be sure not to accidentally introduce yourself as johnamo ;)
Haha, I know, right? :whistle: Thankfully I don't think I've posted anything too embarrassing/offensive on SDN... so I don't mind that some of my classmates and/or future students might be able to (and have been able to) track me down with... context clues.

And the MMI is just fine as long as you're a relatively well-adjusted and articulate person. The people who find it most stressful, in my experience, don't have very good "people skills".