Medical THrillers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sherif

Hot stuff
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any books u read that u liked? Name them please :thumbup: or just name any good mystery books u liked. It doesn't matter if their med or not

Members don't see this ad.

the surgeon (by tess gerritsen).

Members don't see this ad :)
cobra event by richard preston, also check out demon in the freezer by the same author

Robin Cook has a lot of good ones. I think his earlier books are better than the most recent.

MErc44 said:
cobra event by richard preston, also check out demon in the freezer by the same author

Add the Hot Zone to Preston's list of great books :thumbup:

Yep, I like Robin Cook's novels too :thumbup:

Wasn't Coma written by Robin Cook? Or did Michael Crichton write another book with the same title?

I liked Timeline and Prey by Michael Crichton. They were not medical thrillers, but books about technology/science gone awry. If you saw the movie Timeline, don't judge the book by it. The movie sucked. It was nothing like the actual novel.

Coma isnt by Michael Crichton, but he did write a very interesting, although somewhat outdated, book entitled case of need, which is loosely about women's reproductive rights, etc... Great book, one of his first

While on this Crichton kick, add The Andromeda Strain to the list. It's one of his first ones, and a good one, too.

vhawk01 said:
Coma isnt by Michael Crichton, but he did write a very interesting, although somewhat outdated, book entitled case of need, which is loosely about women's reproductive rights, etc... Great book, one of his first

Mea culpa. How embarrassing. How about The Andromeda Strain, then?

Yeah, that's what I meant. Andromeda Strain. Yeah. :p

lesstalkmorock said:
the da vinci code

well, I like it but when the author starts relating "you-know-what" (don't want to spoil it for people who haven't read it yet) to Disney cartoon, I thought that was just toooooooo much :eek: :eek:

oh, I don't think you can call the Da Vinci Code a medical thriller though...

the Kay Scarpetta novels by Patricia Cornwall . . . her book on Jack the Ripper is excellent also (she went to England and actually used forensics to try and figure it out).

Sherif said:
Any books u read that u liked? Name them please :thumbup: or just name any good mystery books u liked. It doesn't matter if their med or not

da vinci code is pure entertainment. whether you want to take it beyond that is your own prerogative. i think it does raise some very intriguing issues though. most definitely a contoversial work.

btw - i went to the websites mentioned in the book, and was very surprised to find the accuracy of many of the finer points throughout the book. very interesting...

oh - OP specified non medically-related books are ok too, so everybody post away. i have time to read this summer! :thumbup:

any more? I know you people read like its second nature :laugh:

check out books by wilbur smith. They aren't medical at all but they are pretty damn good.

Harrison's Internal Medicine.

It was a real page turner. I won't ruin the ending for ya'll.

lesstalkmorock said:
da vinci code is pure entertainment. whether you want to take it beyond that is your own prerogative. i think it does raise some very intriguing issues though. most definitely a contoversial work.

btw - i went to the websites mentioned in the book, and was very surprised to find the accuracy of many of the finer points throughout the book. very interesting...

oh - OP specified non medically-related books are ok too, so everybody post away. i have time to read this summer! :thumbup:

In that case read "Angels and Demons" by Brown as well. Kinda out there but if you enjoyed Da Vinci you'll love this. You can't go wrong with James Patterson. He's got a new one out, "The Big Bad Wolf" I believe (Cross in the FBI). Classic Patterson, a great ride. "The Zero Game" by Brad Meltzer is a different kind of political thriller. I was impressed.

Rinispark said:
Hot Zone is indeed a good read. :thumbup:

The Demon in the Freezor by Richard Preston (same author as Hot Zone) is also a good book. However, if you have a very strong background in microbiology/biochemistry...you may find these books a bit dummed down. While reading Demon in the Freezer, I was, at times, rolling my eyes at the simple things they were explaining in great detail...they were definately written so that a non-science minded person would be able to understand.

Non medical mystery but hilarious------> Janet Evanovich she has written 9 books
Sue Grafton
Jonathan Kellerman
Faye Kellerman
Dean Koontz
John Saul
Jeffery Deaver
Tami Hoag
Many many more :D