medically induced coma?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've done it for status epilepticus and in patients with severely elevated ICP (and not a candidate for decompressive hemicraniectomy). For the status patient we started off with pentothal, when that didn't work we tried phenobarbital, when that didn't work we used ketamine. The barbiturates are all cardiac depressants and more importantly also severely depress the immune system. They were all in the NCCU and the neuro CCM guys probably have the most experience. It's no fun at all.

I've done it for status epilepticus and in patients with severely elevated ICP (and not a candidate for decompressive hemicraniectomy). For the status patient we started off with pentothal, when that didn't work we tried phenobarbital, when that didn't work we used ketamine. The barbiturates are all cardiac depressants and more importantly also severely depress the immune system. They were all in the NCCU and the neuro CCM guys probably have the most experience. It's no fun at all.

I know the basic indications for Neuro-CC, but I'm being somewhat factious in my way of asking, are hospital PR people/reporters assuming that all sedation equates to medically induced comas?

I know the basic indications for Neuro-CC, but I'm being somewhat factious in my way of asking, are hospital PR people/reporters assuming that all sedation equates to medically induced comas?

I'm sure they're being more colloquial with the phrase. I've used it in that way to let families know that dad doesn't know what's going on.