Medicare Part A payment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deucedano

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what others get paid for medicare part A/medical directorship responsibilities and how that number is calculated?

Members don't see this ad.

See attached link ...this has come up on this forum in numerous older threads. Pathologists in general have very little leverage in negotiating medicare part A with hospital admins b/c if you make too much of a stink over this you may lose a hospital contract entirely to another path or group willing to under bid you (again discussed many times on other threads, over-supply of pathologists).

http://www.captodayonline.com/Archives/feature_stories/0304Spiritofthelaw.html

Im not going to reveal all my secrets but the usual plan is to come in cheap on the part A and simply raise it every 2 years until it gets where you want it + some extra for the years you got underpaid on:)

In general, you should not allow wolves at your gate that will snap up a contract by underbidding you by a measly 3-4K a month. You should never allow a contract to go out to bid once you have it.

But I would be fascinated by a hospital admin claiming that they would pay nothing...that is highly illegal. Its considered a completely illegal inducement for the AP work service contract. That would be a lifetime ban from running hospitals for the admin most likely.

Whats also interesting is that by paying you nothing, you are under no obligation to really do anything meaning you get to just pick up the slides and read them at home in your underwear while smoking bubba kush and throwing back Manhattans...no onsite services at all. fascinating arrangement really for a hospital. I would probably entertain such a deal tbh.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Im not going to reveal all my secrets but the usual plan is to come in cheap on the part A and simply raise it every 2 years until it gets where you want it + some extra for the years you got underpaid on:)

In general, you should not allow wolves at your gate that will snap up a contract by underbidding you by a measly 3-4K a month. You should never allow a contract to go out to bid once you have it.

But I would be fascinated by a hospital admin claiming that they would pay nothing...that is highly illegal. Its considered a completely illegal inducement for the AP work service contract. That would be a lifetime ban from running hospitals for the admin most likely.

Whats also interesting is that by paying you nothing, you are under no obligation to really do anything meaning you get to just pick up the slides and read them at home in your underwear while smoking bubba kush and throwing back Manhattans...no onsite services at all. fascinating arrangement really for a hospital. I would probably entertain such a deal tbh.

many path groups are not payed for part A, one could make a good case this violates Stark but I have never heard of any action taken against a hospital over lack of payment for part A...

Reactions: 1 user
many path groups are not payed for part A, one could make a good case this violates Stark but I have never heard of any action taken against a hospital over lack of payment for part A...

This doesnt make any sense to me. Why staff then? Just put a monkey with a gen2 Aperio and beam the slides to St. Croix where you and your 3 sister wives are holed up near the beach.

There has to be more to the story.
1.) Do they get some general amount per month of passive income for directorship duties or simply none? why do ANYTHING where you get paid NOTHING?
2.) Do they operate their own histo lab and somehow wreck the hospital on billing for DRG based work from this??

If both 1 AND 2 are not true, then you folks on the East Coast need to call me asap. You are doing it wrong. Why not then just merge into 1 massive 1,000+ pathologist monopoly and simply raise the stakes on hospitals across the board??

A total pathologist monopoly is such a cool idea I would be down for that. Like a super Guild, like something from medieval times a professional guild with total control over pathology run by an elite inner council. We would have big parties in Ibiza where all pathology in the US is shut down for a week just to flex our power. Of course we would have to have a shadowy league of pathology assassins for anyone stupid enough to leave our fold. Wow, this could be the most brilliant idea I came up with today overshadowing my earlier suggestion to the Google folks they build me a sensory dep pod with google glass I could read slides in....

we need a super cool seal for our pathology guild, something very Illuminati, we put on a medallion we all have to wear:
the-Witcher-metal-necklace-pendant-medallion-wizard-wolf-_1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
This doesnt make any sense to me. Why staff then? Just put a monkey with a gen2 Aperio and beam the slides to St. Croix where you and your 3 sister wives are holed up near the beach.

1.) Do they get some general amount per month of passive income for directorship duties or simply none? why do ANYTHING where you get paid NOTHING?
2.) Do they operate their own histo lab and somehow wreck the hospital on billing for DRG based work from this??

If both 1 AND 2 are not true, then you folks on the East Coast need to call me asap. You are doing it wrong. Why not then just merge into 1 massive 1,000+ pathologist monopoly and simply raise the stakes on hospitals across the board??

A total pathologist monopoly is such a cool idea I would be down for that. Like a super Guild, like something from medieval times a professional guild with total control over pathology run by an elite inner council. We would have big parties in Ibiza where all pathology in the US is shut down for a week just to flex our power. Of course we would have to have a shadowy league of pathology assassins for anyone stupid enough to leave our fold. Wow, this could be the most brilliant idea I came up with today overshadowing my earlier suggestion to the Google folks they build me a sensory dep pod with google glass I could read slides in....

we need a super cool seal for our pathology guild, something very Illuminati, we put on a medallion we all have to wear:
Sounds like youve gotten hold of your whiskey...

Last edited:

1) is generally true, but without any specific provisos for part A. And this number is usually lower than at should be and the Medicare defined FTE path worth is already low. Several groups near me have lost hospital contracts to Q / LC recently so good luck negotiating your fair payment for part A when at any given time you can be told to get lost.

2) Almost never true ( but I assume you know this already)

If we all gathered under 1 banner we could crush Lab Corp and Quest in a day.

Dermatologists actually do have a cabal like that, maybe without Geralt's medallion. See the second page of this post:

Private Equity? Looks good on the surface - Beware

We just might be missing the non public legal actions.
Otherwise it is an great niche for a lawyer.
Got any friends in healthcare law ?