Medicine And Neuroscience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forumdata

Reaction score
I am posting this for someone else. They are only interested in neuroscience related courses and currently pursuing a neuroscience major Is it possible to achieve an MD degree with most courses being only neuroscience.

There are further questions about MCAT prep but I will post in the MCAT subdivision. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The graduate education for this would be a masters or Ph.D. The M.D. would not be that focused.
If you are thinking of neurology or neurosurgery, these are additional years of training after the M.D.

Reactions: 2 users
I am posting this for someone else. They are only interested in neuroscience related courses and currently pursuing a neuroscience major Is it possible to achieve an MD degree with most courses being only neuroscience.

There are further questions about MCAT prep but I will post in the MCAT subdivision. Thanks
Regardless of how many neuroscience courses they take, they still need the pre-req courses (gen bio, gen chem, orgo, biochem, etc) if they want MD admission

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Answer is no. Big time no.

Mostly...no...but, if one wanted an academic career in psychiatry, it could be a viable degree. You still are going to end up taking mostly biology courses, however, in order to meet the pre-reqs

I might be totally misreading OP's question, but a good friend of mine and I (both currently residents at T5s - and no, not neurology or psych) were both neuro majors at our respective LACs. In fact, neuroscience seemed to be the predominent pre-med major at both since it required classes not only in neuro, but also in psych, physics, bio, calc and stats, and the various chems - which pretty much covered all the med school pre-reqs and MCAT subjects. So no, maybe most of our classes weren't directly in neuro, but a big chunk o' them were in the major.

I might be totally misreading OP's question, but a good friend of mine and I (both currently residents at T5s - and no, not neurology or psych) were both neuro majors at our respective LACs. In fact, neuroscience seemed to be the predominent pre-med major at both since it required classes not only in neuro, but also in psych, physics, bio, calc and stats, and the various chems - which pretty much covered all the med school pre-reqs and MCAT subjects. So no, maybe most of our classes weren't directly in neuro, but a big chunk o' them were in the major.
Yes, same with my university: most major requirements overlap with pre-med classes. However, assuming OP meant only neuroscience classes, it wouldn't be enough to satisfy

For premed it’s possible, but for med school the vast majority of courses (including the non-basic science classes) are not directly neuroscience related. If they have a complete aversion to taking anything outside of neuroscience then med school’s probably not the best fit, grad school would be better

Thank you all for the replies. Completed the pre med courses which included all of non neuroscience courses. Trying to see if there is a path in MD where most of the courses are in neuroscience. Gathered from the replies that this is not feasible.

Deciding between MS/PHD and MD. Weighing in the pros and cons

Not sure if you are asking about neuroscience classes as an undergraduate or graduate/professional education student.