Mediocre GPA. Can I still go for MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ivybme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I'm a recent grad in BME at an Ivy League undergrad. I want to apply to MD/PhD programs in BME, but I'm not sure it is even worth applying given my stats.

I am applying MD/PhD hopefully to matriculate in Fall 2017.

cGPA: 3.5, sGPA: 3.4 MCAT 519
Research: 2 years, 2 publications
Gap Year: I'm doing research in public health next year.

Is my list too ambitious? I think if my GPA were higher I would be a strong applicant.
I'm also thinking about applying to more schools MD-only (like Georgetown, Tufts, USC, etc.) to increase my chances of getting in somewhere...
(n = 26)
Harvard
Stanford
JHU
Penn
WashU
Yale
Columbia
Duke
NYU
Vanderbilt
Pitt
Cornell/Tri-I
Northwestern
Icahn/Mt. Sinai
Case Western/CCLCM
Emory
Boston
OSU
USC
Brown
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Tufts
Temple
Jefferson

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why not the MD/PhD programs of the MD only schools you are applying to (if availible)? And yes, your MD/PhD list is a bit too top heavy IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
There aren't many basic science rad onc or anesthesiology labs. Did you do basic research in those labs?

You're also doing public health work during your gap year. MD/PhDs generally want to see basic science dedication.

Some MD/PhD programs are tolerant of engineering PhDs assuming the person is doing bench research, though those programs tend to be even more competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not the MD/PhD programs of the MD only schools you are applying to (if availible)? And yes, your MD/PhD list is a bit too top heavy IMO.
The reason why I didn't think about applying is because a lot of those schools do not do BME research. Georgetown, for example, doesn't have an engineering program. But I think I will switch Boston and Dartmouth to MD/PhD; thanks for your feedback.

There aren't many basic science rad onc or anesthesiology labs. Did you do basic research in those labs?

You're also doing public health work during your gap year. MD/PhDs generally want to see basic science dedication.

Some MD/PhD programs are tolerant of engineering PhDs assuming the person is doing bench research, though those programs tend to be even more competitive.

I actually did mostly translational research. I guess the title is misleading -- most of my research was focused on imaging, so most of the animal models I used in research were analyzed through CT and MR.

I see - I'm not too familiar with BME, but this post might provide you with clues on some schools with strong BME programs that won't make your list too top heavy:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/md-phd-in-biomedical-engineering.250509/

Word of mouth, I heard Wake has a good BME program. Keep in mind though, their MD/PhD program is small and not sure if all slots are fully funded. Otherwise a solid target school given your credentials and interests.

I would add Colorado's MSTP (affiliated with engineering at Boulder), Maryland's MSTP (affiliated with engineering at College Park), UAB (noticed some students doing BME PhDs and the program leadership is wonderful), and Miami (strong non-MSTP with engineering possibilities). Hope that helps! :)

I think you can also pursue the PhD in BME in VCU's MD/PhD program. It's not MSTP, but I remember that it being fully funded.

Baylor MD/PhD students have the option of doing BME through Rice University. Might want to check them out

Mayo has the option of BME for the PhD as well has a Clinical and Translational Science PhD option. If I'm remembering right, I think imaging was strongly represented in that program if it's an area of interest for you.

Thanks guys for all the information. Will be looking at Rice and Mayo as well.

Consider UAB MSTP -- nice BME/rad-onc work happening there.

Seconding other folks on this post, it does seem a bit top-heavy. Your stats could be helped greatly by a strong personal story and LORs, though, so don't count that out! Is there a reason you're avoiding the California system schools?

Seconding other folks on this post, it does seem a bit top-heavy. Your stats could be helped greatly by a strong personal story and LORs, though, so don't count that out! Is there a reason you're avoiding the California system schools?
I think I'm going to apply to UCSD, UCLA, and UCSF, especially after realizing that those schools all have strong BME programs.

Reactions: 1 user