Meeting Residency PD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mddoc201333

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in a speciality, and I have contacted the PD asking if I can meet with him. The PD emailed me that PD would be happy to meet with me, but did not give a time. I emailed the PD back asking what would be a good time to meet, but I never got an email back.

I often times see the PD in his room with the door open, and I was wondering whether I should send the PD an email again asking when I can meet or should I next time simply knock on the door and introduce myself?

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in a speciality, and I have contacted the PD asking if I can meet with him. The PD emailed me that PD would be happy to meet with me, but did not give a time. I emailed the PD back asking what would be a good time to meet, but I never got an email back.

I often times see the PD in his room with the door open, and I was wondering whether I should send the PD an email again asking when I can meet or should I next time simply knock on the door and introduce myself?

Or you can call his secretary, if he has one, and set up the meeting. Usually PDs are very busy and trying to balance administrative and clinical duties.

Or you can call his secretary, if he has one, and set up the meeting. Usually PDs are very busy and trying to balance administrative and clinical duties.

well i directly contacted the PD, so I think it would be wrong to contact the secretary. The PD told me that he would love to discuss options with me. The problem is he hasn't given me a time when I can come meet him, despite me often seeing him with his door open. I am so tempted to go introduce myself, but am never sure if it is a good time, and decide not to introduce myself. But now the question is: should I send him another email asking a time I can meet him or next time I see him I should introduce myself?

Agreed. Contact the secretary FTW. That is what the secretary is there for. Just politely tell the secretary that the pd agreed to meet with you and ask when the pd would be available to meet.

Agreed. Contact the secretary FTW. That is what the secretary is there for. Just politely tell the secretary that the pd agreed to meet with you and ask when the pd would be available to meet.

Yup. I've had a handful of meetings with various faculty, PDs, Deans, etc... and while some have explicitly wrote me back saying call my secretary some just write and say "sure be happy to meet". I don't understand why you would think calling the secretary after he's already agreed to meet you would be some sort of end run around the system.