Meeting with a prospective PI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

philosonista

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all --

I'm not new to research. But it occurs to me I might not know the best way to meet a new prospective PI. I have a meeting tomorrow with someone I'm hoping to do research with.

Tips!?

Members don't see this ad.

he's not expecting you to be an expert in his field but I think it's reasonable for you to at least scan through some of his most recent publications so you have an idea of what kind of work his lab does. you don't need to propose a research project or ask any research-related questions but you should be informed.

otherwise, you're more likely to just talk about your career interests/plans, why you are interested in working in his lab and general interview talk (hobbies, etc.).

Reactions: 2 users
Say, "Ain't nobody gonna research dis sh** like me. I'm numero uno, bish."

Then drop the mic.

In all seriousness, just be yourself and express your interest in research. The chips will fall where they may.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best advice anybody can give you is to read several recent papers from his lab and know them. Then think about them and ask yourself why he did those things and tomorrow, be prepared to discuss them. Just say, so I've been reading several of your recent papers and I see that your lab did this. But I think you may have missed something here - did you ever think of this? Or how this could be applied? That kind of stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Wear something low cut.

Errh... I mean.... come dressed appropriately for a laboratory environment. Read up on his lab and their research topics/recent papers. Be eager, but don't be creepy.

The best advice anybody can give you is to read several recent papers from his lab and know them. Then think about them and ask yourself why he did those things and tomorrow, be prepared to discuss them. Just say, so I've been reading several of your recent papers and I see that your lab did this. But I think you may have missed something here - did you ever think of this? Or how this could be applied? That kind of stuff.

I fully agree with you until you started talking about asking him questions that would require much more than simply reading several recent papers.

Reading a paper doesn't make you an expert on that field.. I can't imagine any of these questions being legitimate. A lay-person in the field figured them out in a few minutes but those working in the lab didn't? Also, you're going to meet with someone who is not only way more experienced than you but also has the academic qualifications to back it up. Walking into their lab and telling them they may have missed something is probably not a good idea.

Walking in there and being able to discuss the general topics of his research is a great idea though. Show you are able to process information and ask intelligent questions, absolutely.. but I cannot imagine a PI expecting you to walk in and stun him by finding something he missed.

Reactions: 3 users
Be yourself.

Reading a paper doesn't make you an expert on that field.. I can't imagine any of these questions being legitimate. A lay-person in the field figured them out in a few minutes but those working in the lab didn't? Also, you're going to meet with someone who is not only way more experienced than you but also has the academic qualifications to back it up. Walking into their lab and telling them they may have missed something is probably not a good idea.

You are absolutely correct. But what I mean is that you should be able to discuss the paper intelligently. The point of science is not to regurgitate what you just read, but rather to be able to evaluate it. Even Science publishes really bad articles sometimes. For example, the pre-eminent journal in my field, JACS, a lot of time publishes ridiculous reaction mechanisms, usually those involving catalysis. The chief editor is an organic chemist and the associate editor who reads these must miss them depending on who he/she is. Organic chemists right now simply use metals for catalysis without really understanding what they do or how they do it. There have been instances where my PI has had to write to the editor about the errors.

My point is that you should be able to have an intelligent conversation about the shortcomings of the papers or any questions the paper arises. The PI will not be interested if you simply say, "Oh, I saw that you did this and this is how you did it." If I was the PI, I would think, "No ****, I know what I did because I was the one who did it!" So to be able to critique the paper (whether that critique is good or bad) is a valuable skill that is desired in science. Because it shows that you can actually think outside the box and figure out things that maybe others have not been able to.

Finally, you really do not have to read the literature in detail to understand many scientific papers. The introduction should provide sufficient background to understand, at least on a basic level, the context of the paper. It doesn't take a scientific degree to know that data is bulls*$#. For example, if you read the original Wakefield et al. paper that started the vaccine craze, you can probably poke some pretty big holes in it. Otherwise, you didn't read it right. I'm not saying every paper is like that, but if you tear the paper apart enough, you will be able to point out the shortcomings - that's science. Not all data is perfect - we have to evaluate it based on some threshold. It's a valuable scientific skill to have.

You are absolutely correct. But what I mean is that you should be able to discuss the paper intelligently. The point of science is not to regurgitate what you just read, but rather to be able to evaluate it. Even Science publishes really bad articles sometimes. For example, the pre-eminent journal in my field, JACS, a lot of time publishes ridiculous reaction mechanisms, usually those involving catalysis. The chief editor is an organic chemist and the associate editor who reads these must miss them depending on who he/she is. Organic chemists right now simply use metals for catalysis without really understanding what they do or how they do it. There have been instances where my PI has had to write to the editor about the errors.

My point is that you should be able to have an intelligent conversation about the shortcomings of the papers or any questions the paper arises. The PI will not be interested if you simply say, "Oh, I saw that you did this and this is how you did it." If I was the PI, I would think, "No ****, I know what I did because I was the one who did it!" So to be able to critique the paper (whether that critique is good or bad) is a valuable skill that is desired in science. Because it shows that you can actually think outside the box and figure out things that maybe others have not been able to.

Finally, you really do not have to read the literature in detail to understand many scientific papers. The introduction should provide sufficient background to understand, at least on a basic level, the context of the paper. It doesn't take a scientific degree to know that data is bulls*$#. For example, if you read the original Wakefield et al. paper that started the vaccine craze, you can probably poke some pretty big holes in it. Otherwise, you didn't read it right. I'm not saying every paper is like that, but if you tear the paper apart enough, you will be able to point out the shortcomings - that's science. Not all data is perfect - we have to evaluate it based on some threshold. It's a valuable scientific skill to have.

Oh yea, then I agree with you.

If you can ask intelligent questions that show you grasp the material and are interested in learning more about it, that's the way to go. Even things like "I'm not sure how X and Y follow" or "Did you conclude this because of so and so?" are great things to bring up because it provides the PI the opportunity to teach you and to evaluate you as a student. It proves that you belong in the conversation and that you can handle the academia that comes along with working in a lab.

But like, to come to a PI that you want to do research with and criticize his work may not be a good idea. Not to mention, if your PI is publishing ridiculous reaction mechanisms or bull**** data.. well.. why are you interviewing with him in the first place? And calling him out isn't going to get you a job. There's a difference between "I think you missed something" and "I was wondering how X fits here" or "I learned about Y and I'm not sure how to reconcile that with your results." Yes, a lot of that is purely wording but you're not challenging his work, you're trying to learn more about it and show that you are capable of thinking rigorously.

My point regarding just reading one article and not being an expert in the field was more in reference to being able to evaluate the scientific basis of the paper.. not the statistical analyses. Most PIs that pre-meds will work with are doing bench work so while data can always be falsified, etc., the science behind it is more important to understand, what they are more likely to focus on and what they are more likely to be working with. I would not assume many fairly regarded PI will have such scientifically weak papers that the standard pre-med could poke holes in it... hence my point in that you should not expect to find any. Odds are that it's the pre-med misunderstanding the concept and not the other way around, though it certainly can happen. I'd hate to be the pre-med on that side of the conversation.

Last edited:
Yes, a lot of that is purely wording but you're not challenging his work, you're trying to learn more about it and show that you are capable of thinking rigorously.

I definitely agree with what you're saying, but I have a purely intellectual point. A lot of science is challenging what others have written. What I mean is that in the course of your scientific career, if you continue on to one, people will write back to the journal that publishes your results and say "You're wrong and this is why." And then you go back to the data and either show them that they're wrong or you go back to the drawing block. That's why you can find five papers opposing any one paper you find in the literature.

So I think that criticism is constructive in science and that's what many people don't understand. It's not interesting to say "You are absolutely right" and fawn over your PI. What's interesting to a scientist is that you think critically and creatively. So if there's something wrong with his logic, definitely say something about it. It doesn't have to be "You're wrong," but as the above poster has said, lead into it with "Could you explain how X leads into Y?" Then either you can re-examine your own criticism or the PI will say "Oh, good point, I didn't think of that." Yes, PIs do that because they are human too.

I've read many papers where the logic isn't completely sound. That's especially prevalent in biology, where you have to use animal models for humans. So if you show that dietary changes cause autism in mice and conclude that human autism is caused by autism as well, that's faulty logic. It could just be that a mouse's diet causes autism and humans don't eat mouse food. That kind of stuff is interesting to a scientist.

But like the above poster is saying, always phrase it in a non-combative way. Show that you can think critically and creatively without outright insulting the PI.

I definitely agree with what you're saying, but I have a purely intellectual point. A lot of science is challenging what others have written. What I mean is that in the course of your scientific career, if you continue on to one, people will write back to the journal that publishes your results and say "You're wrong and this is why." And then you go back to the data and either show them that they're wrong or you go back to the drawing block. That's why you can find five papers opposing any one paper you find in the literature.

So I think that criticism is constructive in science and that's what many people don't understand. It's not interesting to say "You are absolutely right" and fawn over your PI. What's interesting to a scientist is that you think critically and creatively. So if there's something wrong with his logic, definitely say something about it. It doesn't have to be "You're wrong," but as the above poster has said, lead into it with "Could you explain how X leads into Y?" Then either you can re-examine your own criticism or the PI will say "Oh, good point, I didn't think of that." Yes, PIs do that because they are human too.

I've read many papers where the logic isn't completely sound. That's especially prevalent in biology, where you have to use animal models for humans. So if you show that dietary changes cause autism in mice and conclude that human autism is caused by autism as well, that's faulty logic. It could just be that a mouse's diet causes autism and humans don't eat mouse food. That kind of stuff is interesting to a scientist.

But like the above poster is saying, always phrase it in a non-combative way. Show that you can think critically and creatively without outright insulting the PI.

Right, but those people aren't usually pre-meds. Anyways, I think we are saying pretty much the same thing but it's just wording things/general approach. The main point being that you should demonstrate you can think intelligently about the PI's field. I wouldn't go into reading a paper on an entirely new field and expecting myself to find holes.. but that doesn't mean they don't exist or aren't worth probing about. Just maybe not on the first date.

Also, that poster was me haha

Yeah. The only point where we're differing is that I think that criticism is good and constructive. We have lab group meetings devoted to criticism where we criticize each other's work. You think up a lot more things that way that you would never have thought of before. With any paper, even the very best ones, you can usually pick out something that isn't entirely logical or sound - for example, a common one in the life sciences is: were sufficient controls (positive and negative used)? Common ones in the physical sciences involve analysis of data - whether interpretations are right.

Before I picked my current lab I had a couple of meetings with several PIs. They all generally went the same way. "Who are you, what do you like to do?" - "What experience do you have with research, what skills do you have?" - "why do you want to work for me?".

As for questions for them I asked about lab attendance expectations, compensation if any, group meeting times, how many projects the lab was undertaking, specific research questions, standard protocol stuff that you should know so you know that the lab expectations and culture are right for you.

two major tips that seemed to resonate well with PIs were just 1) Know enough about their research to ask general questions about what it is they do and what their niche is
and
2) Ask what publications from their lab are representative of their work.

Just my two cents, by no means an expert.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. The only point where we're differing is that I think that criticism is good and constructive. We have lab group meetings devoted to criticism where we criticize each other's work. You think up a lot more things that way that you would never have thought of before. With any paper, even the very best ones, you can usually pick out something that isn't entirely logical or sound - for example, a common one in the life sciences is: were sufficient controls (positive and negative used)? Common ones in the physical sciences involve analysis of data - whether interpretations are right.

Criticism is good and constructive. But there's a big difference between walking into a first meeting with a PI and attempting to criticize and doing so as a member of the lab or fellow peer in the field. Not the least of which is that you're knowledge base of the field is bigger. It's absolutely something that is critical to scientific progress but we're talking about a glorified job interview here.

The PI wants to know you can think critically but that doesn't necessitate trying to find holes in his work that don't actually exist and are more reflective of you being new to the field. Also, who knows how the PI will take it. Some people I've worked with would love it. Others would get pissed off. This is a first date in a hopefully long-term relationship, there's no reason to try for the home run and risk striking out ;)

Regardless, I think the point has been made. Read his papers. Demonstrate you can think critically and pose intelligent questions. Show off your curiosity and interest in the field.

Last edited:
Do not go and question why (s)he did something one way over another if you've only read 1 or 2 publications and barely checked out the literature to see what's been done and what hasn't been done so far.

Go meet and be ready to talk about yourself and your interests. Be humble and make yourself seem interested in what (s)he's doing if you're actually interested. Be curious but remember that you haven't done any work with him or her yet.

I got into my professors lab this semester after meeting with him THREE times and I still feel like I barely know anything about his research. I could tell you what the research is about, roughly, but in my case I just don't know enough computational or organic chemistry to tell him why he hasn't found the ultimate solution to their research.

Do not go and question why (s)he did something one way over another if you've only read 1 or 2 publications and barely checked out the literature to see what's been done and what hasn't been done so far.

One of the biggest misconceptions people seem to have about science is that anybody who does not hold a PhD is ignorant. This is not the case. While a doctorate does confer a status of knowledge about a particular subject, it does not mean that the PhD becomes super-human. There many things people with little experience in the field can point out as flaws in even the best papers published in the top journals.

As a case-in-point, take a look at "Innate immunity and transcription of MGAT-III and Toll-like receptors in Alzheimer’s disease patients are improved by bisdemethoxycurcumin" by Fiala et al. If you can read that and completely agree with it, finding no loopholes in the logic, no flaws, then I concede my point. Any thinking person who reads that paper will come out with a great many questions about its validity. I did not specifically pick this paper because it was bad - it was simply one of the papers we've read in one of my seminars. I am also a chemist and have no in-depth knowledge of the molecular biology field. So if you read this and actually do believe that stuffing your face with curry will cure Alzheimer's, then I really have nothing more to say.

I got into my professors lab this semester after meeting with him THREE times and I still feel like I barely know anything about his research. I could tell you what the research is about, roughly, but in my case I just don't know enough computational or organic chemistry to tell him why he hasn't found the ultimate solution to their research.

Sounds like you should go to more lab meetings or read the literature more. I've been in this particular lab for about that amount of time and I know exactly what the lab does - from lab group meetings and from reading the recent literature. My project is also in computational chemistry, but more on the inorganic side of it. During your research, you should seek to gain an intuitive feeling for chemistry such that when somebody presents you with data, your intuition can tell you if something's fishy. I know that when doing work with a grad student, you might find your tasks to be repetitive and have no understanding behind why you're doing it (why am I running extractions, why do I have to use a nitrogen atmosphere, how does the rotovap work, etc.). For example, if someone shows you an NMR spectrum showing that they've achieved a synthesis at room temp (without a catalyst) that your calculations have shown has an obscenely high activation energy, you should be questioning their work. Unless there's some other kind of energy input, there's no way that reaction will go at room temp. They might have accidentally heated it at some point or maybe there is another species with a similar NMR spectrum.

One more minor point - I don't know if you just unintentionally said this, but if you go into research with the mindset of finding an "ultimate solution," then of course you'll think that you don't have enough experience in the field to make a qualified argument. If your PI or any other researcher can find the "ultimate solution," then he/she will likely win the Nobel Prize. No, research is about making a tiny step towards a solution for a real problem. Not only that, but with every step forward, you take ten steps back and discover something new that you never thought about before. There is no ultimate answer in science - only ones that research makes more likely to be true.

One of the biggest misconceptions people seem to have about science is that anybody who does not hold a PhD is ignorant. This is not the case. While a doctorate does confer a status of knowledge about a particular subject, it does not mean that the PhD becomes super-human. There many things people with little experience in the field can point out as flaws in even the best papers published in the top journals.

As a case-in-point, take a look at "Innate immunity and transcription of MGAT-III and Toll-like receptors in Alzheimer’s disease patients are improved by bisdemethoxycurcumin" by Fiala et al. If you can read that and completely agree with it, finding no loopholes in the logic, no flaws, then I concede my point. Any thinking person who reads that paper will come out with a great many questions about its validity. I did not specifically pick this paper because it was bad - it was simply one of the papers we've read in one of my seminars. I am also a chemist and have no in-depth knowledge of the molecular biology field. So if you read this and actually do believe that stuffing your face with curry will cure Alzheimer's, then I really have nothing more to say.

Sounds like you should go to more lab meetings or read the literature more. I've been in this particular lab for about that amount of time and I know exactly what the lab does - from lab group meetings and from reading the recent literature. My project is also in computational chemistry, but more on the inorganic side of it. During your research, you should seek to gain an intuitive feeling for chemistry such that when somebody presents you with data, your intuition can tell you if something's fishy. I know that when doing work with a grad student, you might find your tasks to be repetitive and have no understanding behind why you're doing it (why am I running extractions, why do I have to use a nitrogen atmosphere, how does the rotovap work, etc.). For example, if someone shows you an NMR spectrum showing that they've achieved a synthesis at room temp (without a catalyst) that your calculations have shown has an obscenely high activation energy, you should be questioning their work. Unless there's some other kind of energy input, there's no way that reaction will go at room temp. They might have accidentally heated it at some point or maybe there is another species with a similar NMR spectrum.

One more minor point - I don't know if you just unintentionally said this, but if you go into research with the mindset of finding an "ultimate solution," then of course you'll think that you don't have enough experience in the field to make a qualified argument. If your PI or any other researcher can find the "ultimate solution," then he/she will likely win the Nobel Prize. No, research is about making a tiny step towards a solution for a real problem. Not only that, but with every step forward, you take ten steps back and discover something new that you never thought about before. There is no ultimate answer in science - only ones that research makes more likely to be true.

No......it sounds like you have no idea what goes on in my professors lab or that you have no idea about how far into his research I am. How can you tell someone what they need to do to perform better or know more in the lab they're in?

Anyhow my point is that OP should NOT go tell this professor of PI what they think might be wrong. This is all I was saying. It's not smart to go be a jackass or know-it-all when you're trying to receive the privilege to work in someone else's lab.

And regarding "finding an ultimate solution" I should've worded that better. I meant accepting or rejecting a proposed hypothesis. I can honestly tell you that I'm not working with anyone who will be winning a Nobel Prize anytime soon. You're way off topic with that anyway; that's besides the point.

No......it sounds like you have no idea what goes on in my professors lab or that you have no idea about how far into his research I am. How can you tell someone what they need to do to perform better or know more in the lab they're in?

I'm not trying to attack you personally. I'm trying to say that you should go into research with some sort of intuition. That's just how science works. You don't just go into lab and mix **** together to see if it works. You reason based on what you know, whether it will work. That's the same mindset you should use when approaching papers or other people's work. You should be able to pick apart bull**** when you see it. That's the crucial scientific skill here. You might argue that you can't do that without extensive knowledge of the field. First, a full year of organic chemistry should have done its job to prepare you for the type of work you're working on, if it's an organic synthesis lab. Advanced Orgo is useful but with reading the literature, you can get the same result. Second, in-depth knowledge is definitely not requisite for an informed critique. Again, I suggest you take a look at that paper I suggested and tell me if you can come up with at least 3 reasons why you don't believe it, or what they could have done better. Keep in mind this is a field you are not familiar with. You'll be surprised.

It's not smart to go be a jackass or know-it-all when you're trying to receive the privilege to work in someone else's lab.

I am not arguing about this. My posts above make this very clear. It's never smart to be a jackass, either online or in person. But there's a difference from saying, "I think you're an idiot for doing this" and "I don't completely understand why you did this here." The last phrase leads into it. The PI might say, "Oh, that's a good point. We probably could have done some follow-up studies but we were limited on time getting this published because this other group is doing the same thing as us." If your intuition is not right, he/she would tell you why. Either way, it shows intellectual curiosity that is invaluable in science. Just because you think something doesn't make sense logically doesn't mean that you have to phrase it in a jackass way.

One more minor point again - as a rising senior who has gone through numerous interview processes, I would suggest that you never go into any job interview thinking that they're doing you a favor and it's a privilege for you to work in their company, lab, whatever. They're getting something out of it too. They want to know that you can be an able contributor to their firm or lab. A PI prefers someone who can think intelligently and contribute over somebody who can only follow instructions any day. So maybe it's a privilege for you to work in their lab, but it's also valuable for them.

I'm not trying to attack you personally. I'm trying to say that you should go into research with some sort of intuition. That's just how science works. You don't just go into lab and mix **** together to see if it works. You reason based on what you know, whether it will work. That's the same mindset you should use when approaching papers or other people's work. You should be able to pick apart bull**** when you see it. That's the crucial scientific skill here. You might argue that you can't do that without extensive knowledge of the field. First, a full year of organic chemistry should have done its job to prepare you for the type of work you're working on, if it's an organic synthesis lab. Advanced Orgo is useful but with reading the literature, you can get the same result. Second, in-depth knowledge is definitely not requisite for an informed critique. Again, I suggest you take a look at that paper I suggested and tell me if you can come up with at least 3 reasons why you don't believe it, or what they could have done better. Keep in mind this is a field you are not familiar with. You'll be surprised.

I am not arguing about this. My posts above make this very clear. It's never smart to be a jackass, either online or in person. But there's a difference from saying, "I think you're an idiot for doing this" and "I don't completely understand why you did this here." The last phrase leads into it. The PI might say, "Oh, that's a good point. We probably could have done some follow-up studies but we were limited on time getting this published because this other group is doing the same thing as us." If your intuition is not right, he/she would tell you why. Either way, it shows intellectual curiosity that is invaluable in science. Just because you think something doesn't make sense logically doesn't mean that you have to phrase it in a jackass way.

One more minor point again - as a rising senior who has gone through numerous interview processes, I would suggest that you never go into any job interview thinking that they're doing you a favor and it's a privilege for you to work in their company, lab, whatever. They're getting something out of it too. They want to know that you can be an able contributor to their firm or lab. A PI prefers someone who can think intelligently and contribute over somebody who can only follow instructions any day. So maybe it's a privilege for you to work in their lab, but it's also valuable for them.
Alright lol good luck with the rest of your interviews. I'm not here for arguing or debating. My research is progressively getting better each day so I'm a happy man.

OP, I would sell myself before you critique someone's work. That's all I'm saying.

Reactions: 1 users
*Walks back in the room after two days gone.*

Woah. Ya'll had a debate when I was gone!?

Well, thanks for the advice, all.

I think where you piqued the interest of myself and others is in your original response where you specifically told the OP to ask questions like "But I think you may have missed something here". That can very well be interpreted as a jackass question by many PIs, especially coming from someone who is new to the field. Doesn't matter if you should or shouldn't be able to pick up on such things in any new field, that's not the point (and I do agree with you that many such things can be picked up). It's the audacity that can be interpreted. People don't like taking critique from someone they just met, yet alone are 20+ years younger/less experienced from them. That doesn't mean it's not important to get to a point in your student-PI relationship that critique is comfortable though. As you said, scientific progress revolves around challenging what we think we know.

No-one said you should go in and act like it's a privilege.. but you still need to sell yourself and impress. There's no need to take gambles on how the person on the other side of the table will react to questions regarding their authenticity (you've brought up falsifying data numerous times) or their knowledge base ("I think you may have missed something here."). Like I said, I know PIs who would balk at being asked such a question and you'd instantly ruin any shot you have at joining their lab. You're walking into your first personal interaction.. that's not the time for such questions. When you learn more about the PI and how they would react to such questions, you'll be able to better craft such questions so as not to offend. All the situations you've provided as to how important it is to critique research all take place after this initial interaction.. for a reason.

It's very simple. Read some of their work. Show you can understand it and ask intelligent questions. Demonstrate your curiosity and interest. If you feel comfortable after talking for a while and you have a burning question to ask, make sure to phrase it in a way that is more about you trying to understand than you trying to poke holes: "I'm not sure how this follows" or "How can I reconcile what I learned in X class with your paper?". Those questions are similar but distinct from the "I think you may have missed something here" question.

I think where you piqued the interest of myself and others is in your original response where you specifically told the OP to ask questions like "But I think you may have missed something here". That can very well be interpreted as a jackass question by many PIs, especially coming from someone who is new to the field.

Sure, and later on, I specifically re-iterated that you should not phrase it that way specifically. Like you say, "I'm not sure how X follows Y here, could you explain it more to me?" is better and is leading to the point you're trying to make. That's the crux of social interaction, which I'm assuming the OP has.

No-one said you should go in and act like it's a privilege.

It's not smart to go be a jackass or know-it-all when you're trying to receive the privilege to work in someone else's lab.

This poster was exactly saying to act like it's a privilege to work in someone else's lab. Specifically, to avoid criticizing the lab's work. The critique I'm talking about is constructive. It will lead to either the PI explaining to you how X follows from Y or him/her realizing that there may be a generalization in the interpretation of the work.

There's no need to take gambles on how the person on the other side of the table will react to questions regarding their authenticity (you've brought up falsifying data numerous times)

I did not bring up falsifying data - you're quoting out of context. I once referenced the Wakefield et al. paper - to my knowledge, he did not falsify the data. Data is data. But the interpretation following the data is what I was referring to as bull****. If the lab is falsifying data, you've got a lot more to worry about than getting into the lab. But data can be interpreted in many ways and the PI's interpretation may not be the correct one. Who knows, maybe the researchers missed a confounding variable that you thought of. I've read several recent letters to the editor that have addressed the very issue.

I think it's a privilege to be able to work in someone's lab as an inexperienced undergraduate student. (I understand, we all have to start somewhere.) But I come from extremely humble beginnings and feel no sense of entitlement in anything that I do. Maybe that's more personal than usual but I think that for most pre-med students it's clear that research experience is looked favorably upon. I mean heck, most pre-meds will never do laboratory research work ever again in life, so yes, I do think it's a privilege to be given the opportunity to conduct research solely for the sake of looking good to ADCOMs.

I'm off topic now but let's be clear; I don't think you should go and be a sycophant or a kiss ass to do research with someone. But I do think it's important to realize that you're 1 of many students willing to do whatever that lab needs you to do. Don't go in arrogant and questioning the procedures or processes under which they're currently working. I think that there's a ton more ways to show interest than by telling a PI what they might've missed.