meh.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jabbajabba

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...here it is: I'm a third-time reapplicant. I applied broadly the first two times but had few interviews (of the ones I had, they were to "top-tier" schools). There could be a variety of other reasons as to why I was rejected, as you'll see, but after a fair bit of reflection and consultation, I think it was my inability to "sell myself" succinctly. Now two years later, I'm looking to apply MSTP, but I'm not sure what my school list should look like.

-HYPSM, disadvantaged status, bachelors (3.45) and masters (3.75) in bio with honors, increasing trend
-36S (12/12/12)
-took 20+ units and worked 20+ hours/wk every term
-institutional action: plagiarized 9 years ago as a freshman
-clinical experience: medical interpretation; ER shadowing; significant overseas experience at several sites (built a hospital and other forms of non-physical healthcare infrastructure; did clinical research, etc.)
-extracurriculars/work experience: was a high school teacher for 2 years while holding another full-time job. did other random stuff with minor leadership roles (a cappella section leader, mentored foster children, missionary, etc. etc.). not sure if I'm going to/need to include all of it anyway on my application.
-research experience: significant. research tech for 2.5 years. two first author pubs (one is a book chapter on methods; the other is an original research paper in a very high impact journal, with an impact factor of 30+). hold a patent. 7 more pubs as a middle author, in fairly strong journals in my field, and a coauthor on 7 abstracts, which have won various awards. as an undergrad, i published two articles in student-run journals, did an honors thesis, won three grants and a few research awards.
-awards: won one of those international scholarships (i.e. rhodes, marshall), and am currently getting a graduate degree with that. otherwise, only a few other awards here and there, nothing special.
-letters: very strong. maybe not "best ever" letters, but definitely "one of the best ever" sort of letters.

Needless to say, I'm non-trad and relatively old.

So...yeah, I really don't want to go through the entire process again and come out empty. Last I applied, my pubs didn't come out yet, and I hadn't won that international scholarship, so I figure I should have a more decent shot this time. The vibe I'm getting is that though my GPA is not that high and I have that institutional action thing, people are willing to overlook that due to my research and work experience. That's what adcom people have said to me, but I'm not sure that's the case everywhere and with everyone. To anyone with a little experience on this process, what advice can you give me? What "tier" of schools should I apply, given that I want to do research? I'm also open to applying MD only first, and then applying internally for my PhD, if my chances are better that way - though I don't think that'll be the case. Please help. I have bad juju when it comes to med school apps.

LOVE,
jabba

Members don't see this ad.

DO schools will give you a lot more love, especially since you've "re-invented" yourself. The IA from 9 years ago is a bit distant...I'd tend to overlook it.

Keep in mind that nearly every medical school has some type of research venue, and you always can do a research fellowship at NIH or elsewhere. I knew plenty of research fellows while I was a tech at Sloan-Kettering, as an example.

MSTPs are really, really selective and competitive, so I don't think you'd have much luck with those. But, FYI, TCOM has a DO/PhD program. Off the top of my head, TUCOM-CA has a pretty decent research program.

Suggest trying low-mid-tier MD programs this time around.

And then, if you still don't get in, there's a message.

So...here it is: I'm a third-time reapplicant. I applied broadly the first two times but had few interviews (of the ones I had, they were to "top-tier" schools). There could be a variety of other reasons as to why I was rejected, as you'll see, but after a fair bit of reflection and consultation, I think it was my inability to "sell myself" succinctly. Now two years later, I'm looking to apply MSTP, but I'm not sure what my school list should look like.

-HYPSM, disadvantaged status, bachelors (3.45) and masters (3.75) in bio with honors, increasing trend
-36S (12/12/12)
-took 20+ units and worked 20+ hours/wk every term
-institutional action: plagiarized 9 years ago as a freshman
-clinical experience: medical interpretation; ER shadowing; significant overseas experience at several sites (built a hospital and other forms of non-physical healthcare infrastructure; did clinical research, etc.)
-extracurriculars/work experience: was a high school teacher for 2 years while holding another full-time job. did other random stuff with minor leadership roles (a cappella section leader, mentored foster children, missionary, etc. etc.). not sure if I'm going to/need to include all of it anyway on my application.
-research experience: significant. research tech for 2.5 years. two first author pubs (one is a book chapter on methods; the other is an original research paper in a very high impact journal, with an impact factor of 30+). hold a patent. 7 more pubs as a middle author, in fairly strong journals in my field, and a coauthor on 7 abstracts, which have won various awards. as an undergrad, i published two articles in student-run journals, did an honors thesis, won three grants and a few research awards.
-awards: won one of those international scholarships (i.e. rhodes, marshall), and am currently getting a graduate degree with that. otherwise, only a few other awards here and there, nothing special.
-letters: very strong. maybe not "best ever" letters, but definitely "one of the best ever" sort of letters.

Needless to say, I'm non-trad and relatively old.

So...yeah, I really don't want to go through the entire process again and come out empty. Last I applied, my pubs didn't come out yet, and I hadn't won that international scholarship, so I figure I should have a more decent shot this time. The vibe I'm getting is that though my GPA is not that high and I have that institutional action thing, people are willing to overlook that due to my research and work experience. That's what adcom people have said to me, but I'm not sure that's the case everywhere and with everyone. To anyone with a little experience on this process, what advice can you give me? What "tier" of schools should I apply, given that I want to do research? I'm also open to applying MD only first, and then applying internally for my PhD, if my chances are better that way - though I don't think that'll be the case. Please help. I have bad juju when it comes to med school apps.

LOVE,
jabba

I just wanted to circle back and share an update.

I was accepted to multiple MSTPs, decided not to pursue the PhD, but just graduated from a top 10 medical school and am now starting a top, competitive residency program with protected research. Was AOA, won multiple awards, and finished med school with a full ride due to internal scholarships.

I hope this serves to be an encouragement. Just remember that SDN has some good information, some bad information, but mostly non-specific, well-intentioned drivel. Be realistic, but don't lose hope. If you work hard, be nice, keep your eye on the prize but enjoy the journey, you'll do fine - it just may take longer than you anticipated.

jabba out

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nice comeback!

Enjoy the beginning of your career, Doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
"36" MCAT. Is your old mcat still valid? I don't think a lot of schools are accepting the old mcat. You may need to revise your lists based on this or retake the exam.

:confused:

I just wanted to circle back and share an update.

I was accepted to multiple MSTPs, decided not to pursue the PhD, but just graduated from a top 10 medical school and am now starting a top, competitive residency program with protected research. Was AOA, won multiple awards, and finished med school with a full ride due to internal scholarships.

I hope this serves to be an encouragement. Just remember that SDN has some good information, some bad information, but mostly non-specific, well-intentioned drivel. Be realistic, but don't lose hope. If you work hard, be nice, keep your eye on the prize but enjoy the journey, you'll do fine - it just may take longer than you anticipated.

jabba out

Reactions: 1 user
That’s phenomenal news! Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk