Meharry interviews in February

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
verbalassasin said:
I got in at UCSD, found out this morning. The thing I don't understand is bootleg ass Howard school of medicine who took my money and hasn't given me any update post secondary. I hate that school. I'm still waiting on Meharry but I think for only two weeks before I withdraw. I don't want to be packing and moving last minute. So come on Meharry.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!! AT least u'll be somewhere in the fall.
Howard is on crack. They did the same to me, and I'd withdraw if I knew who to send it to. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

verbalassasin said:
I got in at UCSD, found out this morning. The thing I don't understand is bootleg ass Howard school of medicine who took my money and hasn't given me any update post secondary. I hate that school. I'm still waiting on Meharry but I think for only two weeks before I withdraw. I don't want to be packing and moving last minute. So come on Meharry.

You go boy! Man, I have learned alot from your persistence. Congrats on the acceptance to UCSD. I hope Meharry comes through for you too so we can be classmates.

proph...

Man, Verb congratulations!!! I still hope that you get into Meharrry, but if not I hope to hear from you from time to time. Once you've finalized your plans, we'll have to exchange email addresses...that way we can make sure to keep in touch. Even though I don't know you personally, I do realize that there are only a handfull of Black doctors serving in the United States...Hell, there are only around 2,000 Blacks that apply each year...with approximately 700 of those being Black men, so we need to/must stick together. Who knows, we may end up in the same residency program! :D Man, once again congratulations on your acceptance to UCSD and good luck!!!

~Curiosity32

Members don't see this ad :)
verbalassasin said:

congrats verb! thats awesome! you're gonna be a doctor, believe that! :thumbup:

verbalassasin said:

:clap: Congratulations! You never gave up hope.

Congrats on UCSD. I am still waiting to hear from Howard. I haven't seen anyone on this site that has actually gotten accepted ( it's a shame b/c they are truely living up to heir reputation and i'm beginning to wonder about the quality of their program). I'm still waiting for the the letter from Meharry, but like you I don't want to pack and move at the very last minute (besides I own a home and have to take that into consideration).

I spoke with someone at Meharry today (sorry I can't remembr her name), but she has informed me that they are finished interviewing and have made there decisions. If anyone declines then they will start pulling people off the waiting list. Therefore, anyone who has not recieved an interview, WILL NOT get one and should recieve a rejection letter in the mail in the next two weeks. Good luck everyone

I also called, and was informed that:

1) They have already picked who will participate in the post-bacc
2) Mr. Mosley expects that between now and July 6, 5 or 6 ppl will withdraw.
3) The WL is ranked but he doesn't have any information about the rankings, or how ppl are pulled off.

The way he spoke sounded as if he wasn't involved in the admissions process at all. He alluded to "they" and "the admissions committee." I thought he was the head of it! So I'm wondering who is making the decisions???

I knew he wasn't part of the decision making committee, but he can get you an interview. The head is Dr. Ponjola Coney MD. or something like that, she is the dean and head of the admissions committee. Thanks all of you for the love. But I still think Meharry will still come through. I withdrew from UCI and USC today. Its funny beacuse UCI sent me two rejection letters and then an interview request. Go figure, and I didn't even submit a aamcas for UCSD, they sent me a secondary go figure. I just hope all works out for everyone in the long run.

This is really news to me! Then who makes the decisions? Why do we send letters to him?

Congrats Verb...I haven't given up hope on Meharry but after talking to Mosley today he said chances are slim of getting pulled off the list until classes begin on July 6. I also asked how far down I am on the ranking as Ms. Davis said Mr. Mosley would know. Guess where I'm at? I can't tell you. Same thing Mr. Mosley said. He kept saying "They" so he doesn't know anything. So why did Ms. Davis say he would know where I am at on the ranklist. Something just doesn't sound right. I think they all know. Same thing happened to me before I got into the postbacc program. Director of Admissions told me she had nothing to do with postbacc. Why was her signature at the bottom of my acceptance letter? Anyway for those that want to know, Post bacc started last week and I am taking graduate level biochemistry. Its going well. I will be taking Mamallian physiology, genetics, child psych, and a seminar in the fall. The program here at KU is good. I hear it will help me greatly when I matriculate fall 2005. Good luck everyone else, keep waiting and keep ya head up. Its just a matter of when, don't give up.

Tekena

Tekena1 said:
Anyway for those that want to know, Post bacc started last week and I am taking graduate level biochemistry. Its going well. I will be taking Mamallian physiology, genetics, child psych, and a seminar in the fall. The program here at KU is good. I hear it will help me greatly when I matriculate fall 2005. Good luck everyone else, keep waiting and keep ya head up. Its just a matter of when, don't give up.

Tekena

Congrads Tekenea for keeping your head up and moving on to plan "B". I know next year this time, you'll have some acceptances in hand!

Yes! I would encourage all the ppl applying this year to have a plan B. Do your research on post-bacc programs/MS programs and work just as hard on those apps as you would the AMCAS. You never know what might happen in this process, and it's a good feeling to know that even if you're rejected/waitlisted at every school you apply to, you still have a plan, and a foot in the door of some medical school. (Even if it's not the one you dreamed of attending!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on startin the postbac Tekena!!
I'm so glad i had a plan B comin outta undergrad 3 yrs ago, now at least I was still able to get in, plus the extra degree didnt hurt!
Keep ur heads up people, its not IF u'll get in but WHEN!!

good advice lotanna!! what's going on? how have you been?

verbalassasin said:
I knew he wasn't part of the decision making committee, but he can get you an interview. The head is Dr. Ponjola Coney MD. or something like that, she is the dean and head of the admissions committee. Thanks all of you for the love. But I still think Meharry will still come through. I withdrew from UCI and USC today. Its funny beacuse UCI sent me two rejection letters and then an interview request. Go figure, and I didn't even submit a aamcas for UCSD, they sent me a secondary go figure. I just hope all works out for everyone in the long run.

verb, are you positive Dr. Coney is the head of the admissions committee?

Congraulations Takena,

I agree that it's good to have a plan B in case you don't get in. Personally I always have a plan B and C (have to make sure I cover myself from all angles). It looks like I will be doing a post bacc program too but I don't care, I look at it as premature exposure to med school. Does KU guarantee you a seat in '05 or do you have to apply. Good luck to everyone and if anyone is accepted at Howard please let me know.

I think Dr. Conney is the head, because she signed my acceptance range letter. Any way, I am withdrawing from Meharry today. I'm tired of waiting. I've withdrawn from Drew, USC and UCI today. The waiting is killer and I can't do it any more. Good luck to all of you.

heymisslady said:
Congraulations Takena,

I agree that it's good to have a plan B in case you don't get in. Personally I always have a plan B and C (have to make sure I cover myself from all angles). It looks like I will be doing a post bacc program too but I don't care, I look at it as premature exposure to med school. Does KU guarantee you a seat in '05 or do you have to apply. Good luck to everyone and if anyone is accepted at Howard please let me know.

Heymisslady

I have a seat in '05 so I don't have to apply unless I want to go elsewhere or screw up my GPA below 3.0 Well I was hoping Meharry would let me in. Attending KU would be really cheap for me, around $12,000/year tuition but I was/am still wanting to hear from Meharry. If all fails at Meharry I will be attending KU SOM next fall. Once again everybody, keep ya head up.

Tekena

heymisslady said:
Congraulations Takena,

Which program are you doing heymisslady?

I will probably do the program at Wayne State University. There success rate is 99%. You get a living stipend of about $9,000 (although you can take out student loans). The program is from August til July. The only downfall is they make you retake the MCAT (overall the scores down't go up that much b/c most people don't take it serious b/c they are guaranteed a freshman seat in the next class.

Does writing a letter of interest to UNMC help? Anyone know?

heymisslady said:
I will probably do the program at Wayne State University. There success rate is 99%. You get a living stipend of about $9,000 (although you can take out student loans). The program is from August til July. The only downfall is they make you retake the MCAT (overall the scores down't go up that much b/c most people don't take it serious b/c they are guaranteed a freshman seat in the next class.

hey i take it ur from Michigan?
nice to see another one lurkin online:D

Yes, I am here................GO PISTONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BTW congrats on your admittane into State.
lotanna said:
hey i take it ur from Michigan?
nice to see another one lurkin online:D

1) Damn Referees
2) Damn Kobe
3) Damn Karls Knee

Other than that we would have swept the pee stains I mean pistons

heymisslady said:
Yes, I am here................GO PISTONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BTW congrats on your admittane into State.

Nice!!! I've several friends at Wayne, its awesome, and I'm usually in the area.
In the words of the announcer: "Deeeeeeeeeeeeetroit Basketballlllllll", I was at the Palace last night! Thats been echoin in my head all day :p
@Verb, excuses arent acceptable in the finals, u do realize when folks start blamin the refs, it means they arent playing their game. Goodness u should have seen live how the Pistons turned the Lakers mansion into bits of stones and rubbles :D

I had my 2secs on ESPN post game, and got to tell Stephen A that "You're a loser!" :) Karl shouldnt blame us, blame MJ just like Chuck and Patrick!!!

@Tekena, 12k/yr is really tight!!
Y'all keep on keepin on!!

verbalassasin said:
1) Damn Referees
2) Damn Kobe
3) Damn Karls Knee

Other than that we would have swept the pee stains I mean pistons

Big ups to the Pistons :thumbup: . They did it without an established player on thier team. I knew the series was over right after game three embarassment :thumbdown: .

O well for Lakers fans (Verb..), there is next year for us to try again. Who knows if I will still be a Laker fan once I move to Nashville!

proph...

:idea:
prophecy2 said:
Big ups to the Pistons :thumbup: . They did it without an established player on thier team. I knew the series was over right after game three embarassment :thumbdown: .

O well for Lakers fans (Verb..), there is next year for us to try again. Who knows if I will still be a Laker fan once I move to Nashville!

proph...

For all of you that are wondering who is the head of the Admissions Committee at Meharry here it goes. Here name is Dr. Annie Neal

Just wondering where you got this info. . .And do you have her e-mail addy?

prophecy2 said:

proph...

Proph: we could take you out of L.A. But we shouldn't be able to take L.A. out of you. We need you repping L.A. all the way in Nashville.

Lottana: I'm telling you, first let me give you and the pee stains Damn I mean the Pistons their props. But honestly a team that has Shaq and Kobe should not be shooting 20 less foul shots a game. The Daddy AKA the big diesel, AKA the Big Aristotle, AKA the most dominant ever, gets fouled on every play but they never call it. I'm pissed right now but, I'm also bumping some Boyz II Men......"It's so Hard to say good bye to yesterday.................And I'll take with me the memories to be my sunshine after the rain"

I'm trying to sing this song but my voice is craccing :sleep: :scared:

Holla

verbalassasin said:
Proph: we could take you out of L.A. But we shouldn't be able to take L.A. out of you. We need you repping L.A. all the way in Nashville.

Lottana: I'm telling you, first let me give you and the pee stains Damn I mean the Pistons their props. But honestly a team that has Shaq and Kobe should not be shooting 20 less foul shots a game. The Daddy AKA the big diesel, AKA the Big Aristotle, AKA the most dominant ever, gets fouled on every play but they never call it. I'm pissed right now but, I'm also bumping some Boyz II Men......"It's so Hard to say good bye to yesterday.................And I'll take with me the memories to be my sunshine after the rain"

I'm trying to sing this song but my voice is craccing :sleep: :scared:

Holla

Now , now..give credit where credit is due......it was admirable to watch Kobe play the Pistons by himself.....'sup people! how ya doin? ...just checkin in.

"How do I say goodbye to what we had? (Kobe, why, why?????)The good times that made us laugh Outweigh the bad. I thought we'd get to see forever But forever's gone away It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday. I don't know where this road Is going to lead All I know is where we've been And what we've been through. If we get to see tomorrow I hope it's worth all the wait It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday. And I'll take with me the memories To be my sunshine after the rain It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday. And I'll take with me the memories To be my sunshine after the rain It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday."

Laker Fans I am feeling you, The dynasty is not over it is just on hibernation for now. The future is coming soon.

verbalassasin said:
"How do I say goodbye to what we had? (Kobe, why, why?????)The good times that made us laugh Outweigh the bad. I thought we'd get to see forever But forever's gone away It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday. I don't know where this road Is going to lead All I know is where we've been And what we've been through. If we get to see tomorrow I hope it's worth all the wait It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday. And I'll take with me the memories To be my sunshine after the rain It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday. And I'll take with me the memories To be my sunshine after the rain It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday."

Laker Fans I am feeling you, The dynasty is not over it is just on hibernation for now. The future is coming soon.

what future :D

Hey guys,

It's official, I recieved my rejection letter this morning from Meharry for the class of 2002?????????????????????????????????????????? Anyway I can't do anything but go forward from here. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear from Meharry. :)

heymisslady said:
Hey guys,

It's official, I recieved my rejection letter this morning from Meharry for the class of 2002?????????????????????????????????????????? Anyway I can't do anything but go forward from here. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear from Meharry. :)

Talk about a typo!
Girl its all good, at least u have options and you will be in med schl regardless with the Wayne program!! :thumbup:

heymisslady said:
Hey guys,

Sorry :(

But you have a CONDITIONAL acceptance! In my mind that's the same thing. ;)

heymisslady said:
Hey guys,

You'd figure most adcoms have people editing their massed produced rejection letters :rolleyes: ... but apparently not since I got my rejection lettter off the waitlistyesterday from Drew saying..... "Our application has been carefully reviewed by the Drew/UCLA Admissions committee......." :laugh:

verbalassasin said:
Lottana: I'm telling you, first let me give you and the pee stains Damn I mean the Pistons their props. But honestly a team that has Shaq and Kobe should not be shooting 20 less foul shots a game. The Daddy AKA the big diesel, AKA the Big Aristotle, AKA the most dominant ever, gets fouled on every play but they never call it.

I'm no fan of the Lakers at all (I'm a Kings fan and should be happy they lost!... I'm just being sympathetic since I was a Malone fan before he decided to make a pretty dissappointing career choice) but I admit, the Lakers didn't get a lot of calls they deserved.... but oh wells....

Hey, has anyone heard any news on the date of the "White Coat Ceremony"?

I believe the White coat is the week of the 6th which is orientation week. Classes start the 12th of july.

Congrat Verb on your UCSD acceptance-still can't understand why Meharry is still showing you no love. I am positive they will come through in the end but it might help to update them on your continued interest in Meharry considering your recent UCSD acceptance. Men, you must really love Meharry-my impression was exactly the opposite but we all have our differences. If you finally decide on Meharry, take care of my boy Prophecy.

Hey Proph, how's life and work treating you. Must have tuned in your two weeks by now. Naija is great :rolleyes: . Holla at your boy. :cool:

anyone hear anything lately? good luck everyone!

I am also on the waiting list at Meharry.
1 class is full as of now
2 they interview about 700 people a third of which are rejected
3 they have 4 to 5 people drop or not show during orientation week soo those slots will probably be filled from the waiting list.
4 so you must think there are at the very very least 400 people on the waiting list for5 slots.. Chances of acceptance for me seem to get slimmer and slimmer... But I'm gald she was very informative and told me of the situation but did not know where I was on the waiting list.

FYI..
GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU :luck:

yahabiby1 said:
I am also on the waiting list at Meharry.
1 class is full as of now
2 they interview about 700 people a third of which are rejected
3 they have 4 to 5 people drop or not show during orientation week soo those slots will probably be filled from the waiting list.
4 so you must think there are at the very very least 400 people on the waiting list for5 slots.. Chances of acceptance for me seem to get slimmer and slimmer... But I'm gald she was very informative and told me of the situation but did not know where I was on the waiting list.

FYI..
GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU :luck:

I spoke to Ms. Porter too. She also told me that the class is full. I just didn't know that the WL was that deep. I'm thinking 50 ppl max. . .

I believe anything could happen but at the same time it's so late. . .I would not want to start a whole week behind everyone else and play catch up! :scared:

Hey guys, I really really realy don't think the waitlist is 400 deep, that is so unreal. Think about it, if they interview 700 and rejectr a third that leaves about 400 people who are considered qualified for a medical education. class size is 80 for initial acceptance you are down to 320. schools typicaly would have sent out atleast twice the amount of accptances by now so you are down to 240. A number of people would have withdrawn from the waitlist, my self included. I would bank on the waitlist being probably anywhere from 75-200 people. Imagine when orientation starts and 30 spots open up. good luck ya.

verbalassasin said:
Imagine when orientation starts and 30 spots open up. good luck ya.

ha, that would be awesome! bumpin for those of us holding out hope for meharry! stay strong people, we all can still get in!!!

Maybe not 30 spots, but 5 or 6 like Mosley said ;)

Hey, I just dropped in today because this whole process is crazy!

I hate to say it, but Meharry was my Plan B and for a while I was stressing about being on the waitlist for my top choice. But then I visited the school during the interview, and my opinion started to change. After talking to a couple of friends in the same boat and reading through this thread (kinda stalker-like), I completely changed my mind, and I'm really proud to be a part of this year's entering class.

On a side note, I feel kinda bad because I was probably one of those people that were offered spots that last round. Sorry to all y'all waiting so patiently, but I feel ya. I can't imagine waiting since October, like one of you said, I think. I started everything WAY late. I turned in the primary and secondary pretty late, and I interviewed on 4/8. I was sent the acceptance Range letter on 4/28, and I got the call on 5/27 from Dr. Moseley.

So pretty much, I've been trying to get my s*** together and move out from L.A. this whole month. Problem was, I was on vacation out of the country for 2 weeks! But I'm back now, and it looks like I'll be flying out in about a week.

Anyways, I'm done rambling and I hope to see you y'all soon!

-D

congrats dianetanya!! and goodluck to those of you still waiting, hang in there!!

bumpin for those of us still waiting for an acceptance from meharry!