Memorization in OChem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

korndoctor

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard rumors about ochem involving a lot of memorization. Could someone please explain what things we should memorize and things that we shouldn't attempt to memorize. any other advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

korndoctor said:
I've heard rumors about ochem involving a lot of memorization. Could someone please explain what things we should memorize and things that we shouldn't attempt to memorize. any other advice is appreciated.

it's a combination of both. If you just try to memorize all the reactions, your going to get lost. If you just try to "understand mechanisms" your going to get the exceptions to the rules wrong. You just need to try to understand mechanisms well and fully memorize the "classic" reactions like Diels Alder, Stork-Enamine........and the list goes on.

It was not so much rote memorization as it was understanding processes and mechanisms. Much if it to is being able to visualize thing in 3D space.

It is however, more memorization than gen chem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking of selling my 3-inch-thick stack of reaction notecards from o-chem 1 and 2 on ebay. Not to scare you :D

Eh, I'd have to say there's a good combination of memorization and seeing the big picture- certain reactions you just have to memorize, but notecards are a great technique for that. A lot of the time, though, there are general concepts that apply to a huge host of reactions which really cuts down on the memorization. Don't worry too much!

I have found that success in Ochem is a matter of putting in the time. While there is certainly a good deal of memorization (i.e. what particular reagents are required for a particular reaction), as you get further in Ochem, understanding general ideas (i.e. electron donating/withdrawing groups) becomes increasingly important.

You will figure it out, young Skywalker.

People memorize what they don't understand. There are about 5 different rules in organic that will help you figure out almost any problem, it's really all about seeing the big picture and going with what makes sense. Please DON'T be one of those stupid bio majors who goes and makes flashcards to try to memorize every possible reaction.

CTtarheel said:
People memorize what they don't understand. There are about 5 different rules in organic that will help you figure out almost any problem, it's really all about seeing the big picture and going with what makes sense. Please DON'T be one of those stupid bio majors who goes and makes flashcards to try to memorize every possible reaction.

thats kinda harsh

Vox Animo said:
It was not so much rote memorization as it was understanding processes and mechanisms. Much if it to is being able to visualize thing in 3D space.

It is however, more memorization than gen chem.

Correct. Those students that tried to memorize instead of conceptualize usually either did poorly, or did well but were extremely stressed due to the amount of time it took to memorize each mechanism.

korndoctor said:

Memorize all of the reactions.

CTtarheel said:

So are you going into pathology or radiology?

thegymbum said:
I'm thinking of selling my 3-inch-thick stack of reaction notecards from o-chem 1 and 2 on ebay. Not to scare you :D

Eh, I'd have to say there's a good combination of memorization and seeing the big picture- certain reactions you just have to memorize, but notecards are a great technique for that. A lot of the time, though, there are general concepts that apply to a huge host of reactions which really cuts down on the memorization. Don't worry too much!

Notecards are a waste of time for any course.

I wrote all of the reactions on the front and back of a couple of pages from a legal pad. I just read over that several times just before the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUdoc08 said:
Notecards are a waste of time for any course.
It really depends on the person. Making flash cards helped me tremendously with things like foreign language vocabulary or the structures of specific biological molecules... so I suppose some people could find them useful for remembering mechanisms and reagents.

_ian said:
It really depends on the person. Making flash cards helped me tremendously with things like foreign language vocabulary or the structures of specific biological molecules... so I suppose some people could find them useful for remembering mechanisms and reagents.

Flashcards are for girls.

CTtarheel said:

what are those 5 rules please? :love:

all you have to remember is SN2 is backside attack. the backside attack technique is very useful in life.. especially on girls :D

CTtarheel said:

Yeah. That'd be me. I'm such an idiot it took me a big stack of notecards to get a 98% both semesters.

Trust me there are quite a few reactions that don't follow any "specific rules". The overall rules apply to a portion of reactions, but seriously, stuff like a phenol being oxidized to a quinone or sodium metal and ammonia to reduce an alkyne to a trans alkene, etc., you'd be screwed if you only memorized a few rules, there's a lot of stuff that really just doens't fit.

razmataz said:
all you have to remember is SN2 is backside attack. the backside attack technique is very useful in life.. especially on girls :D

:laugh:

Nuts and Bolts of Organic Chemistry - read it.

First page - Flash cards WILL NOT WORK. Because:

1, you'll have to use them for the first test.
2, you'll have to reuse them for the cumulative final, maybe.
3, you'll have to reuse them for the MCAT, definitely.

Ineffective strategy! Out of the battle!

CTtarheel said:

True, I memorized when I took Orgo 1&2 and did well both semesters. After having taken more advanced chemistry courses, I now understand why things happen and can visualize/rationalize reactions. However, if you arent planning on a major in chemistry, I think the most effective strategy for orgo will be: memorization of reactions, practicing mechanisms(understanding e- pushing), practicing synthesis.

It would not be possible to get an A at my school by memorizing every reaction. Almost every problem on our tests are reactions taken straight from journal articles. If you don't understand how and why the reaction proceeds the way it does, then you won't have a chance.