Meningeal lymphatic vessels

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDBird90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello again. I am not a medical student, but going to study Medical Laboratory Technology soon (hopefully). I'm not sure where to post this, so I'll try here. Researchers have found lymphatic vessels in the CNS (https://news.virginia.edu/illimitable/discovery/theyll-have-rewrite-textbooks). Since they'll have to "rewrite the textbooks," does that mean the seventh edition of COA (by Moore) or Netter's Atlas (6th Ed.) is out of date? I would like to a book or two for my birthday that's coming up soon. I'm tempted to get them now, but should I just wait for the new editions? I understand anatomy doesn't change much over the years, but this seems like a major discovery.

Members don't see this ad.

99% of the content in those anatomy books would still be correct, and I'm sure they would teach the new discoveries in class, if necessary.

Reactions: 1 user
it won't matter get the books if you want them

you don't need either but if there is any "med" textbook that I don't think is a waste of money for premeds it would be Netter, it's a classic

I would be glad to have it on my shelf even if I had not made it to med school

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
99% of the content in those anatomy books would still be correct, and I'm sure they would teach the new discoveries in class, if necessary.

I wouldn't be so sure about that...a lot of what you'll learn is gonna be outdated unfortunately. If you're lucky your professors will have kept up with the research and will incorporate it into their lectures but there were several times this past year that we were told things that are patently untrue because of newer discoveries in medicine. I just got used to doing some of my own research if it was a topic I was interested in and I wanted to know more recent info on it.

Hello again. I am not a medical student, but going to study Medical Laboratory Technology soon (hopefully). I'm not sure where to post this, so I'll try here. Researchers have found lymphatic vessels in the CNS (https://news.virginia.edu/illimitable/discovery/theyll-have-rewrite-textbooks). Since they'll have to "rewrite the textbooks," does that mean the seventh edition of COA (by Moore) or Netter's Atlas (6th Ed.) is out of date? I would like to a book or two for my birthday that's coming up soon. I'm tempted to get them now, but should I just wait for the new editions? I understand anatomy doesn't change much over the years, but this seems like a major discovery.
This is a very big discovery to medicine generally, but not a very big change in terms of your future anatomy class. The lymphatic system wasn't a whole lecture in and of itself in med school so I doubt adding a sentence or picture in Moore stating that it is now in the CNS will do much -- it will get a quick mention and maybe the page numbers will be off by one. I've used older editions of many books in medicine and most of the time the old content is adequate and its just a matter of pagination. You have to realize that unlike in college, in med school text books will be your SECONDARY resource -- you will primarily be learning from the voluminous home grown syllabus and lecture notes packets they will distribute. And those are easier for schools to edit on the fly.

Reactions: 2 users