Mentioning Integration in Why ___ School Essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starry-o-phonic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys- first time post so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

A number of MD-PhD schools ask for a short essay detailing why you want to attend their program.

One of the things I've liked about the two schools I've written essays for so far are their specific classes and programs that integrate the medical and research side of your degree. But as I've done more and more research, it appears every school has these classes/programs in one form or another.

So should I not mention such a common element of MD-PhD programs in my "why this school" essays? Or do schools take pride in these programs and like when people mention them?

Members don't see this ad.

Many schools do have some form of integration including research classes or journal clubs for MD-PhDs during MS1 & MS2 and clinical involvement of some sort during graduate school. Schools may take pride when applicants mention this, but whether they do or not does not necessarily help your application. IMO I think for MD-PhDs, the main reasons for picking a school "should be" the PhD area(s) you wish to pursue and the PI(s) you want to work with, which might be something they would rather see in your secondary.

Reactions: 1 user