Mercaptopurine and allopurinol

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacist 2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to Rx Prep book: reduce dose of mercaptopurine by 25-33% if mercaptopurine and allopurinol are given concomittantlly. However, I checked Epocrates, it says decrease mercaptopurine dose by 66-75%. which one is correct?

Is anyone studying Rx Prep book for NAPLEX?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

According to Rx Prep book: reduce dose of mercaptopurine by 25-33% if mercaptopurine and allopurinol are given concomittantlly. However, I checked Epocrates, it says decrease mercaptopurine dose by 66-75%. which one is correct?

I think rxprep got it backward. I got this from Lexi-Comp:

"Reduce dose of mercaptopurine to approximately 25% of normal dose if used concomitantly with allopurinol. Monitor for toxic effects of mercaptopurine."

Therefore, you reduce by 75% (= 25% of normal dose).

Thanks. What I learned from school is that reduce mercaptopurine to 25-33% of usual dose. I also checked prontopass, it says the same.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks.

just curious, does anyone know the mechanism of this interaction?

just curious, does anyone know the mechanism of this interaction?

The probable mechanism according to micromedex:
Concomitant allopurinol and mercaptopurine therapy can increase the toxicity of mercaptopurine. Allopurinol inhibits the first pass oxidative metabolism of mercaptopurine by xanthine oxidase. If both drugs are administered together, the dose of mercaptopurine should be reduced 65% to 75%.

just thought i bump this thread up for those studying; the board loves drug-drug interaction questions