Meyers Neuropsychological Battery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisisjustatest

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do people think about meyers battery and norms? It also has a scoring software , so it seems to be convenient. How come it is not very commonly used compared to Heaton norm?

Members don't see this ad.

What do people think about meyers battery and norms? It also has a scoring software , so it seems to be convenient. How come it is not very commonly used compared to Heaton norm?

IME, it's relatively common. He used to be president of NAN, so it's not like he's a crank. I don't think it super matters, which norms are used. The Meyers norms come up with nearly the same t scores as the Heaton norms. The Meyers might have better AA norms than Heaton. The OTBM isn't well adopted, but neither is the GDS or HII from the HRB.

Lezak reportedly apologized to Meyers for her review.

I'd second what PsyDr said. I don't personally see it used a whole lot, but I have a copy that I use for some tests, and I've run across peers who use it. Some of it may also be regional? And also like PsyDr, when I've scored the same patient using the MNB, Mayo older adult norms, and Heaton norms, they're all very similar until you start getting into the tails of the distributions (e.g., late-80's with very low or very high education); and even then, they still hang together pretty well. The biggest difference I've run across is probably the BNT.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do any of you use the software with MNB? What do you think about the RIM? The Rohings interpretive method and the statistic calculations?

Do any of you use the software with MNB? What do you think about the RIM? The Rohings interpretive method and the statistic calculations?

RIM/ OTBM has the same sensitivity and specificity as the Halstead Impairment Index. What’s the problem?

Starting to suspect this account is not a psychologist. I’ll expect our normal fee for the consultation. AA and I could use the free meal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I use the MNB software for scoring, but not for most of what else it does (so I'm likely not taking full advantage of my subscription money). I don't use the RIM. I eyeball the OTBM metrics if I've entered enough data to calculate any of the domain scores.

I use the MNB software for scoring, but not for most of what else it does (so I'm likely not taking full advantage of my subscription money). I don't use the RIM. I eyeball the OTBM metrics if I've entered enough data to calculate any of the domain scores.
I heard the statistics stuff was not used very much. Just wanna confirm.

I thought actuarial method was considered better than clinical judgement in the head.

I wonder why people don’t use it though and No one mentioned RIM throughout my training till postdoc. I think if not for my supervisor does high profile forensic stuff, I still wouldn’t have been exposed to it.

Is there any drawbacks for this method? Except for paying for the software? Maybe this is an ABN thing and those who boarded on ABPP-cn don’t like it?

I thought actuarial method was considered better than clinical judgement in the head.

I wonder why people don’t use it though and No one mentioned RIM throughout my training till postdoc. I think if not for my supervisor does high profile forensic stuff, I still wouldn’t have been exposed to it.

Is there any drawbacks for this method? Except for paying for the software? Maybe this is an ABN thing and those who boarded on ABPP-cn don’t like it?

I don't think it's an ABN vs. ABPP thing. More of an adoption thing, as in they haven't convinced enough people that it's superior and or equal and cheaper to what they are already doing. I've worked in a few different states now, both in clinical work and forensic, and I honestly haven't seen it used yet.

I have a former Midwest colleague who used it regularly for clinical and forensic cases. I think he has since retired, but it was interesting talking through the NMB compared to other measures. I haven’t seen it used much in forensics overall though.

I haven't looked into the RIM extensively, but I believe others on here might have. I suspect one of the reasons it's not widely used it just that people's supervisors didn't use it, so they don't use it. I've not seen any big ABN vs. ABPP split on it.

Building on PsyDr's post, the Halstead Impairment Index isn't widely used anymore in part because it isn't necessarily all that helpful with what neuropsychologists typically do. "Organic" vs. "non-organic" isn't a distinction many people are focusing on making nowadays. The RIM does a bit more than that, and I don't know that there's any substantial drawback to it; in my case, I'll look at the domain comparisons to premorbid and OTBM when I have them. I'll also often compare across normative data sets (e.g., MNB vs. Heaton vs. Mayo norms). But I don't know how using the RIM compares to clinical judgment and interpretation sans the RIM. I suspect it may largely mirror what many people are doing "in their head" when evaluating scores across tests/domains. There's also some quasi-similar interpretive guidelines/methods discussed in a few chapters of the Little Black Book of Neuropsychology (e.g., distinguishing unusually low scores from normal variability).

If you're extra curious, you could always email the MNB developer himself. He's very responsive.

Last edited: