MFM fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Obgal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends...I am a foreign medical grad doing residency in a small community program in New York (PGY 1)...I am really interested in doing MFM fellowship... Going by the NRMP stats, fellowship in obgyn is so competitive specially for FMG s...What do you think is the ideal/best possible way to go for it?? Is it worth trying at all?? Any suggestions are appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

1. Wait until your second year to decide on the specific fellowship, as you'll have adequate exposure to all subspecialties by then.
2. If MFM (or another field) interests you, then by all means go for it.
3. The single biggest factor, in my opinion, is research. Pick up something retrospective, get it done and published, throw a couple of case reports in there, and you should be good.
4. The next biggest factor will be your letters of rec. If you don't have well know folks at your program, be sure to set up an elective in MFM at an outside institution your 3rd year. Secure a letter and/or interview!

Lastly, don't worry about the IMG factor much... If you want it badly enough, and work hard enough, you'll land a fellowship.

Best of luck!

Hey thanks!!! That s a great piece of advise.... God Bless!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks!!! That s a great piece of advise.... God Bless!! :)

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read on abog.org that for MFM there were more spots than applicants, for REI even number applicants and spots, and Gyn Onc super competitive...maybe I'm wrong

I recall it being something like 150-170 applicants for 70 or spots last year (in MFM). The specialty took a hit when ABOG changed it to a 3 year fellowship; however, over the past few years its had an upswing.

The caliber of the applicants is getting higher and higher, which makes me ever so grateful that I got a spot :D

Best of luck!

Are there any mfm fellows or attendings out there to offer some advice on this fellowship? Do mfm docs make more than obgyn? What's the lifestyle like and are you glad you did it? I know the fellowship used to be only 1 year. It's a real interest of mine but doing another 3 years is scary with all the loans smacking me in the face. Is the salary going to help make a difference?