MFT School Psych or Clinical/Counsel Psych? how do I choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CampDeeds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Back Again..
I know I had a similar post like this but I think my thought process has changed slightly, soo here goes:

My Background:

I am a Senior at California State University Northridge (CSUN) working on getting my BA in Psychology with a minor in Human Sexuality. Come May 2017 I will graduate(hooooraaaayyy). Up to this point I have a 3.0 and I haven't taken the GRE but I have heard that some schools dont require it (am I wrong on this?) Under my belt at this point I am a peer educator in both The Blues Project (which raises awareness on Depression and Suicide) and Alive and Well Health (which focuses on overall wellness, sexual health etc.) . I was also a member or Psi Chi. I am unemployed right now but I am looking =D

My Goals:
I feel like this time around my focus seems a tad bit structured in my opinion.. I want to work with children and their families. I like the idea of working in the school system. I want to work with Depression and anxiety and especially bullying and academic performance concepts like that within a child's life. However I want to also work with like adults in terms of possible marriage and family counseling or therapy and especially work with couples who are having trouble with infertility among other struggles. With all this in mind, here are my questions:

1) Is my GPA doable for grad schools in general or do I need to do work to raise it a bit and should I just attempt the GRE anyway for better chances?

2) With all the things I mentioned, which program would be best? As I said before, I was set on MFT but I dont know how reliable the job market is with someone as an MFT working in schools.. I imagine school Psych would fit in there maybe and I know clincial or counseling psych would be best but I am unsure. How would Master Programs work?

3) Volunteering? Any ideas that might help enhances on my choices?

I know it seems like I am all over the place and I might be slightly but I want to get this! I mean I know its not an overnight decision to choose something like this but when its something I love I'm willing to fight hard to figure it out. I mean I just want to help people ( as cliche as that may sound..) but its been a dream of mine. I want to do my best to make people's lives content..

Thanks for all the input and suggestions I will appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

As I said before, I was set on MFT but I dont know how reliable the job market is with someone as an MFT working in schools..

The day-to-day life of a typical MFT is very different from that of a school counselor or psychologist. It's important to get enough information to have realistic expectations so you can choose the right training program.

should I just attempt the GRE anyway for better chances?

Not taking the GRE rules out many options, probably most of the better options.