MFT to PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kn0613

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am seeking some input/advice and thought this might be a good place to ask.

I am a semester deep in my MFT program now and I want to eventually teach at the undergrad level. How realistic is it to go from an MFT program to a PhD in Clinical Psychology? Does anyone have experience with this? Any information would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you only want to teach at the undergraduate level, or do you want to be academic faculty at the undergraduate level?

If just teaching undergrad courses in psych is your dream, you don't need a PhD in clinical psych. You could probably get some work with just the MFT, honestly. The pay will undoubtedly suck, though. If you want to be academic faculty, you'll need a PhD though, as well as a good amount of research production.

Do you only want to teach at the undergraduate level, or do you want to be academic faculty at the undergraduate level?

If just teaching undergrad courses in psych is your dream, you don't need a PhD in clinical psych. You could probably get some work with just the MFT, honestly. The pay will undoubtedly suck, though. If you want to be academic faculty, you'll need a PhD though, as well as a good amount of research production.

I would like to eventually become a full time academic faculty member. Honestly, my biggest issue at this point is that I don't even know if I can go from an MFT to a PhD program, and if I can how easy or difficult it is going to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
It mostly depends on how much research experience/productivity that you have. You will likely be looking at more research oriented clinical psych programs so that you can build your CV up for tenure track type positions. To get into those kind of programs, you need to have some pre-existing experience in the research realm.

It mostly depends on how much research experience/productivity that you have. You will likely be looking at more research oriented clinical psych programs so that you can build your CV up for tenure track type positions. To get into those kind of programs, you need to have some pre-existing experience in the research realm.

I am hoping that I can do some research while I am in my masters, or maybe take a year between my masters and Phd. Thank you for the input.