MGMA Numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMDoc607

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do these numbers that MGMA release seem way to high? My friend is entering a field other than cardio and her starting salary is 50% less than the 25th % on the 2012 MGMA report. The numbers I have been nearing from recruiters and the numbers some of the graduating fellows are also much lower than the mgma numbers. If these numbers are accurate, then where do we as physicians come off complaining about the money we make even if we take a 20% hit. That would still mean an invasive cardiologists would make $360,000 at the 25%!!!

Not buying it and all the snake recruiters I speak to swear by it.

Members don't see this ad.

Do these numbers that MGMA release seem way to high? My friend is entering a field other than cardio and her starting salary is 50% less than the 25th % on the 2012 MGMA report. The numbers I have been nearing from recruiters and the numbers some of the graduating fellows are also much lower than the mgma numbers. If these numbers are accurate, then where do we as physicians come off complaining about the money we make even if we take a 20% hit. That would still mean an invasive cardiologists would make $360,000 at the 25%!!!

Not buying it and all the snake recruiters I speak to swear by it.
People need to realize that there is a HUGE difference between starting salaries and mid-career salaries of ESTABLISHED providers. Unfortunately, these surveys are usually answered by people at the peak of their careers, and are also often over-reported, so that they can negotiate higher packages when their contracts are up. Starting contracts are usually half of what is reported in MGMA. The question is whether or not the money will still be there by the time our generation hits mid-career.

Members don't see this ad :)
People need to realize that there is a HUGE difference between starting salaries and mid-career salaries of ESTABLISHED providers. Unfortunately, these surveys are usually answered by people at the peak of their careers, and are also often over-reported, so that they can negotiate higher packages when their contracts are up. Starting contracts are usually half of what is reported in MGMA. The question is whether or not the money will still be there by the time our generation hits mid-career.

But MGMA breaks it down by years in practice...

For example, according to the 2015 MGMA report, the median salary for non-invasive cardiologists with 1-2 years in practice (which I assume means starting salaries) was 358k while 90th percentile was 700k. Funnily enough, that 90th percentile was higher than the 90th percentiles for cardiologists with between 3-12 years in practice and was only exceeded once you got to 13+ years in practice. Not at all sure what to make of that..

But MGMA breaks it down by years in practice...

For example, according to the 2015 MGMA report, the median salary for non-invasive cardiologists with 1-2 years in practice (which I assume means starting salaries) was 358k while 90th percentile was 700k. Funnily enough, that 90th percentile was higher than the 90th percentiles for cardiologists with between 3-12 years in practice and was only exceeded once you got to 13+ years in practice. Not at all sure what to make of that..
That actually makes a lot of sense. Many newly employed physicians enjoy a couple years of relatively high contractually guaranteed income, only to see their income plummet after they are unable to subsequently generate enough RVUs to sustain what was ultimately unrealistic bait.

My suspicion is that the MGMA numbers are moderately inflated compared to reality. Having said that, those 700k jobs do still exist.