MGP Board exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elburrito

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone comment on what they did to study for the molecular genetic board exam? I plan on studying the AMP board review course online but would be interested in any other thoughts. How long did you study, what materials did you use?

Members don't see this ad.

Many/most chapters of Strachan and Read's "Human Molecular Genetics" for background on the science and applications; the second half of Cheng and Zhang's "Molecular Genetic Pathology" for clinical applications/diseases covered. Look for areas you are weak on scientifically and review them in Strachan.

I also read both versions of Deb Leonard's MGP books but found them to be of limited value compared to the other two.

That right there covered ~ 85% of the test, IMHO. There was some micro that I totally didn't prepare for (because I have no interest in it), but it didn't seem to matter.

Most people walked out of the room with a feeling of dread and swore they failed. In reality, I doubt many did. I actually doubt anyone graded that exam.