Miami/Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

espfactor

Does anyone know about either of these programs. Someone mentioned to me that people sometimes refer to Columbia as malignant? Also, what do people know about Miami's program?

Members don't see this ad.

no idea about columbia. as for miami, i have heard mostly negative things but it is all second hand gossip so take it for what it is worth -- maybe someone can offer direct knowledge (i can fill you in first hand after 12/7 but i bet that is too late for you). I heard it is a pretty hard working program with support staff varying from incompetent to disrespectful. that said, i want to decide about places for myself. what one person is looking for, others are trying to avoid. whether you will like miami or not depends on what you are looking for: big city, great but hot weather, plenty of shopping, restaurants, nightclubs/bars, traffic, etc. it is an exciting place to be if that is what you are looking for.

no idea about columbia. as for miami, i have heard mostly negative things but it is all second hand gossip so take it for what it is worth -- maybe someone can offer direct knowledge (i can fill you in first hand after 12/7 but i bet that is too late for you). I heard it is a pretty hard working program with support staff varying from incompetent to disrespectful. that said, i want to decide about places for myself. what one person is looking for, others are trying to avoid. whether you will like miami or not depends on what you are looking for: big city, great but hot weather, plenty of shopping, restaurants, nightclubs/bars, traffic, etc. it is an exciting place to be if that is what you are looking for.
And remember not to make a wrong turn when you exit the I 95 near Jackson Memorial, especially if you look like a tourist.:scared:

I just did an away rotaion at miami, ended 2 weeks ago. Im at boston university. It is an awesome program. The attending are great guys and even though its a big program you get to know the attendings very well. Its very resident centered and there are alot of bonding events. while i was there i went to journal club at a bowling alley, food/drinks payed for by the attendings. I also attended a family picnic held by the attendings. it was well attended by all the residents and YES there was a keg AND it was catered.

The chairman is great was ass't chairman at duke before coming to miami. they have dr. burnbach which is a household name in ob-gyn anesthesia. Google him and you will have hundres of articles.

Miami publishes 20-30 articles a year. Harvard's brigam publishes a little more than 30.

Also miami is the ****...did i mention that yet?