Miami UM Jackson Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoyMilk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UM Jackson Emergency Medicine Residency

Did they get accredited?

Members don't see this ad.

Jackson Memorial Hospital Emergency Medicine Residency Program Informational Sessions
Sessions will be held in the JMH ED Conference room
Thursdays 15,22 and 29th of Jan, from 9-11 AM
These are "informal" session developed for informational purposes only
www.umjacksonem.net

First, I noticed you joined today just to answer that question. Thank you. I am guessing that you are faculty there.
Second, Is there any concrete news whether you will be participating in the match this year?

Many of us would be happy to travel (even from the west coast) to visit for an interview. I think that a place like Jackson is prime for becoming a well known top tier county training program.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So it looks like they are hoping to pick up some scramblers?

Hopefully not. They probably could draw some seriously awesome candidates (who would otherwise not participate in SOAP) given Jackson Memorial and the fact they are in Miami.

Im assuming that they might have to resort to soap applicants...but since when is that a bad thing? And can anyone else confirm, if in fact they are taking applications or they are going to have to soap all of there seats? thanks ahead of time :)

Just checked at the program is not listed on ERAS.

A program at Jackson has been in the works for years, so it's not anything new. Rumor has it there are issues with having enough board-certified EM docs available to teach residents and possibly US. I had heard from students on the interview trail that Jackson was going to be ready for apps this cycle. Who knows, take it all with a big fat grain of SDN Salt.

The program is developing quickly and strongly. Without a doubt an EM program is amazing even more in a setting like Jackson Memorial just because of the diversity in pathology with the unlimited available resources. Not to forget the education that one will receive specially with the help of simulators. Under Great leadership the program is bound to excel and will be highly competitive

Unlimited available resources is not what I would describe a place like Jackson Memorial Hospital

Reactions: 4 users
Hi,

I've been reading this forum for years and today I finally made an account for this. So honestly, when you think of treating Trauma in Miami hospitals- Jackson is the first on everyone's mind. I'm so happy they finally started this program especially with the leadership they have set up! Their program director is top notch!If you're from Miami you know what goes through jackson- EVERYTHING. It's a gateway hospital for everyone from the Caribbean so you'll need to be good with all areas of EM from toxicology, trauma, disaster even to a little bit of tropical medicine. They are getting a new sim lab too. It's new and exciting to find the rumors to be true regarding an EM residency in Jackson this year. Not sure where their getting their applicants from. Honestly SOAP or not all applicants there will be as strong as can be especially since jackson is high volume.
http://www.umjacksonem.net/ is their site.

I'm sure this will be a solid program...but at this rate I'm half-expecting the ShamWow guy to rear his head, tell us how great the program will be, post the website again, and announce that every applicant will get a free Slap Chop.

Reactions: 2 users
You know, that wouldn't be a bad thing lol

Members don't see this ad :)
3rd year med student and long time lurker. I figured I'd contribute since I've received so much over the years. First off, thanks to the person who posted the details about the info session. I attended on 1/22 and I was very impressed with the presentation about the program. Two of the program directors were there and they were glad to answer any questions. Afterwards, we took a tour which included the ED, Peds ED, Ryder Trauma Center, and the Gordon Center. Gordon Center is where all the simulation training takes place, and it's pretty awesome.

my gut feeling tells me it's gonna be a big time program in the near future. Potential to be scary good . It'll be interesting to see all the progress it makes by the time I apply next year. Anyway, I would encourage any of you 2015 applicants in the Miami area to check out the meeting next week on 1/29 at 9am. Things are moving pretty quickly.

If you have any questions about the meeting, I'll try to answer with what i remember.

Did they say when they expect accreditation to be approved and how they will be recruiting residents (Match vs SOAP)?

Did they say when they expect accreditation to be approved and how they will be recruiting residents (Match vs SOAP)?
They said that they're expecting to receive approval very soon and would like to begin interviews next week. It sounded to me like they would have everything ready to participate in the Match, but it's not definite. There could be more info as soon as next week. The only thing that seems to be a certainty is the interviews.

How exactly would they find enough interviewees last minute in order to participate in this years Match? Are you sure they weren't talking about next year? My program already finished all of our interviews.

Last edited:
How exactly would they find enough interviewers last minute in order to participate in this years Match? Are you sure they weren't talking about next year? My program already finished all of our interviews.

Also how can they interview prior to approval?

They still have a month until rank lists need to be published. They plan to interview people both in person and via skype. I'm guessing they're expecting approval soon enough that either they'll already have it before they begin interviews or they're willing to begin interviews beforehand because approval is a lock. Either way, they made it clear that it's for this year.

I mean I'm all for a program at Jackson but that just sounds like a bad idea...

Its almost February. Take the time to do it right and recruit a strong first class.

I mean I'm all for a program at Jackson but that just sounds like a bad idea...

Its almost February. Take the time to do it right and recruit a strong first class.

Agreed. I know of one program (FM, not EM) that did something along these lines and it was a terrible idea. The program had all of the necessities to be a decent FM program. The didn't get accredited until late and only took people through the SOAP and after. First class was, as expected, terrible. Subsequent strong applicants didn't want to go because of this.

Reactions: 1 user
Haha the chutzpah of some people to think that soaped applicants are in some way inferior. That's a fine looking high horse some of you have in that stable lol!!

Haha the chutzpah of some people to think that soaped applicants are in some way inferior. That's a fine looking high horse some of you have in that stable lol!!

Can't tell if serious....

You're right. I would really say that they're a superior applicant to people who match in the main ERAS match. The smart applicant should really try to shape their ROL in a way to secure this marker of excellence.

In lighter news, I bet you get tired carrying that chip on your shoulder.

Pons take a breather, it was sarcasm...but you already knew that. And there's no chip it's been eaten ;)

Im assuming that they might have to resort to soap applicants...but since when is that a bad thing?

Pons take a breather, it was sarcasm...

It was sarcasm twice? Or were you being sarcastic about the high horse thing, but still feel that SOAP applicants are, in general, on par with people who didn't SOAP? If so, I'm curious to hear the argument for why someone who by definition is a second tier candidate is not a less qualified applicant than one who matches up front.

I was being sarcastic on both accounts. Yes for the most part I do believe that the best candidates usually match in eras and do not have to soap. But that's casting a wide net over those who didn't match without any fault of there own. Some people and yes this is anecdotal who were truly normal people and equally as competitive just caught some unlucky breaks along the way. This process is truly arbitrary and now when you have more people going on 20 plus interviews it might mean that there a quite a few candidates who would have normally have gotten a few more chances to rank programs but couldn't. So before you say SOAPED applicants are all inferior...or all eras applicants are more superior, it's not as black and white as you would like to portray it :)

I was being sarcastic on both accounts. Yes for the most part I do believe that the best candidates usually match in eras and do not have to soap. But that's casting a wide net over those who didn't match without any fault of there own. Some people and yes this is anecdotal who were truly normal people and equally as competitive just caught some unlucky breaks along the way. This process is truly arbitrary and now when you have more people going on 20 plus interviews it might mean that there a quite a few candidates who would have normally have gotten a few more chances to rank programs but couldn't. So before you say SOAPED applicants are all inferior...or all eras applicants are more superior, it's not as black and white as you would like to portray it :)

Two points.
1: I agree that this isn't a blanket statement. I specifically mentioned that above when I asked if you felt that in general SOAP and non-SOAP applicants were on par (you seem to agree that in general they're not).

2: Even assuming that there are exceptions to the rule, you're citing people who didn't have a chance to rank as many programs as they would have liked, or people who are "normal" as making up those exceptions. These aren't the outliers. These are the people in that general category. The outliers are the people who applied to something competitive like Derm and then SOAPed into somthing else,
Over 50% of matching applicants matched at their #1 location. All but 13.1% matched in their top 4. If those people that you're calling "equally as competitive" didn't secure a 5th interview, they may be, at best, as competitive as the bottom 13.1% of matched applicants. There are obviously true exceptions to every rule, but I think that even the examples you gave seem to show that the vast majority SOAPed for a reason.

Last edited:
Simply put...I agree lol. The main question is now that we aren't arguing over anything, what do we do now ;) lol?!

But back on topic does anyone know if they are soaping or matching via eras...thanks :)

For those interested in this program, I just received this email from my medical school. Hope this helps with information!

Subject: [gsalist] Announcing NEW Emergency Medicine Program in Miami

Dear GSA Community,

On behalf of my colleagues, I was asked to circulate important information regarding our new Emergency Medicine Residency Program that will hopefully receive final accreditation THIS WEEK in time to accept new residents for this 2015 MATCH CYCLE.

If fully accredited this week, the program will participate fully in the NRMP. Given the late notice, however, the program is accepting paper applications for now and interested applicants should contact the program directly for more information. If you have any students still interested in yet another option for this year’s cycle, it’s not too late to reach out. All details below with contact information.

Dear Applicant/School administrator:

Thank you for your interest in the Jackson Memorial Hospital, University of Miami Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency Program.

The mission of our residency program is to educate future leaders and advance the science and practice of Emergency Medicine. Our residency is housed out of Jackson Memorial Hospital; a world renowned tertiary medical center in Miami with superb rotations included at Holy Cross and the University of Miami Hospitals.

The educational experience is unparalleled, including important volume and acuity sites, diverse pathology, dedicated residency-trained faculty, strong innovative didactic sessions with an integrated immersive simulation program developed and taught by the prestigious Gordon Center for Research in Medical Education.

Our three-year program is designed to accept 13 residents per year. Our academic faculty has been carefully selected to foster a rich and fulfilling educational environment. The faculty has trained at many of the leading residency programs in the United States, and includes nationally recognized experts in disaster medicine, emergency medical services, critical care, toxicology, ultrasound and administration/ quality, as well as active leaders at national and international Emergency Medicine organizations.

We officially submitted our program application to the Accreditation Commission for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) and are pending official approval with the expectation to begin formally July 2015.

The program will be conducting Skype and on-site interviews in February, onsite interviews will be held at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami. As such, we are requesting all applicant supporting documents be sent by email [email protected] , via the Deans Office or University Student Coordinator. We are also conducting an online web-based informational session (info enclosed below) on January 30th at 9 AM, EST.

Thank you again for your interest in our program, and look forward to welcoming your applications.

Sincerely,

Amado Alejandro Báez, MD, MSc, MPH, FAAEM, FCCP, FCCM

Jackson Memorial Hospital

Emergency Medicine Program Director

=============================================

Web-Based Informational Session Information

Information for this Web seminar .

Topic: Jackson Memorial Emergency Med Residency Info Session
Host: Healthcare Management Solutions
Date and Time:
Friday, January 30, 2015 9:00 am, Eastern Standard Time (New York, GMT-05:00)
Friday, January 30, 2015 9:00 am, Eastern Time (Panama, GMT-05:00)
Event number: 662 942 178
Registration password: This event does not require a password for registration
EVENT ADDRESS:
https://healthcaremanagementdr.webe.../g.php?MTID=e39926d0b47f470e21e46070b6b4da351

To view in other time zones or languages, please click the link: https://healthcaremanagementdr.webe.../g.php?MTID=e5e707f5cecd418b1c08375702ab54c79

-------------------------------------------------------
To join the audio conference only
US Toll: +1-415-655-0045
Access code: 662 942 178

For assistance
You can contact Healthcare Management Solutions at:
[email protected]

http://www.webex.com

Hilit F. Mechaber, MD, FACP

Associate Dean for Student Services

Associate Professor of Medicine

University of Miami Miller School of Medicine

305.243.7978 fx 305.243.9229

RMSB Room 2155B / PO Box 016960 (R-128)/ Miami, FL 33101

[email protected] o. 305.243.7978 f. 305-243-9229

Need assistance with BEHAVIORAL HEALTH?? Call confidentially. Click HERE for confidential referral line.

Need to report MISTREATMENT? Click HERE

The information contained in this transmission may contain privileged and confidential information, including patient information protected by federal and state privacy laws. It is intended only for the use of the person(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

---

You are currently subscribed to the gsalist discussion list.
To unsubscribe send a blank message to [email protected].
To reply to the entire list send your message [email protected].
Please use caution and exclude the list address from any automated reply rules.

So can we submit an application with all the supporting documents via email right now or not yet?

From the email, it seems like you could send it now to the email stated but know that they are still pending accreditation at the end of this week. However, I would listen in on the informational session tomorrow to be sure or just email the contact info listed to make sure it is okay to send in every thing at this point.

Jackson Memorial Hospital Emergency Medicine Residency Program Informational Sessions
Sessions will be held in the JMH ED Conference room
Thursdays 15,22 and 29th of Jan, from 9-11 AM
These are "informal" session developed for informational purposes only
www.umjacksonem.net

Does anyone know if they're still going to have the informal informational session on Thursday? Or are they just doing the webinar on Friday now?

they are gonna be merged next year no?

are there any IMG applicants applying for the program this year? Because I need serious help. ECFMG refuses to send my SLOEs and USMLE transcripts directly, because of confidentiality and contracts and blah blah. And for them to send USMLE scores, I have to fill out paperwork(no way to do it online) and they can send it within four weeks. FOUR WEEKS!! I phoned them and lets say they have not been helpful. Anybody have an idea how can I do this?

I am contacting my SLOE writers directly and then I pulled copies of my Steps off of ECFMG Oasis and emailed them back to my school so they can submit them with transcripts

What is the update on them receiving accreditation or not...and just curious if they are going to have to soap there seats or not?

Guess those limitless resources were a problem.

More seriously, +1 confirming that they are not participating in the Match for this year. Who knows whether they'll take people in the SOAP or off cycle.

Anybody have any new updates in regard to this? On track to open this year?

Hey friends-

I go to UM for med school and am a fourth year applying this cycle....we just received accreditation!

They are supposed to be on ERAS within the week. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey friends-

I go to UM for med school and am a fourth year applying this cycle....we just received accreditation!

They are supposed to be on ERAS within the week. Good luck to everyone!

I would be weary. I wonder why they failed to get accreditation last year?

Not to mention they've apparently been trying (and failing) to get an EM program started there for the past 5+ years.

This is purely hearsay but I know a couple attendings who were looking into jobs down there and according to them the climate at UM is similar to UWashington and UTenessee with some leadership in the IM and Surgery departments openly opposing any EM program/EM residents.

just an update!

Dear Applicant/School administrator:

Thank you for your interest in the Jackson Memorial Hospital, University of Miami Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency Program.

The mission of our residency program is to educate future leaders and advance the science and practice of Emergency Medicine. Our residency is housed out of Jackson Memorial Hospital; a world renowned tertiary medical center in Miami with superb rotations included at Holy Cross and the University of Miami Hospitals.

The educational experience is unparalleled, including important volume and acuity sites, diverse pathology, dedicated residency-trained faculty, strong innovative didactic sessions with an integrated immersive simulation program developed and taught by the prestigious Gordon Center for Research in Medical Education.

Our three-year program is designed to accept 15 residents per year. Our academic faculty has been carefully selected to foster a rich and fulfilling educational environment. The faculty has trained at many of the leading residency programs in the United States, and includes nationally recognized experts in disaster medicine, emergency medical services, critical care, toxicology, ultrasound and administration/ quality, as well as active leaders at national and international Emergency Medicine organizations.

We were officially approved by the Accreditation Commission for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) and are currently recruiting via ERAS and The Match for a start date of July 2016.

Thank you again for your interest in our program, and look forward to welcoming your applications.

Sincerely,

Amado Alejandro Báez, MD, MSc, MPH, FAAEM, FCCP, FCCM

Jackson Memorial Hospital

Emergency Medicine Program Director