Michigan Housing ASAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VV2RB

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So Decision Day is almost here and I was wondering, does anyone know if there is a central application process for Michigan SPH? I've been on their on campus and off campus housing websites but they seem very disorganized. I'm looking for any extra insight into what are good places to live at Michigan, which apartments are close to local eateries or bus stops or whatnot.

Is there also any type of forum for looking for roommates for Michigan?

Are there any timelines as to when Michigan SPH incoming students for Fall 2014 usually start looking for apartments, putting down payments, moving into their new places?

Members don't see this ad.

So Decision Day is almost here and I was wondering, does anyone know if there is a central application process for Michigan SPH? I've been on their on campus and off campus housing websites but they seem very disorganized. I'm looking for any extra insight into what are good places to live at Michigan, which apartments are close to local eateries or bus stops or whatnot.

Is there also any type of forum for looking for roommates for Michigan?

Are there any timelines as to when Michigan SPH incoming students for Fall 2014 usually start looking for apartments, putting down payments, moving into their new places?

A few apartments to check out are Island Drive and Medical Center Courts. Many medical and public health students live there. If you are looking to save money try some apartments toward Ypsilanti. If you live near Washtenaw Road there is a free bus (#4) that runs between Ypsilanti and the SPH. Some apartments in that area are Glencoe Hills, Spice Tree and Arbor Woods. I will be living at Spice Tree. It is about a 20 min. bus ride and there is a stop at the complex.
Once you have a UMich ID you will have access to the UM roommate message board through the off campus housing site.
As for timelines, I am not so sure about that. But I would assume the sooner the better. I know we have to be in Ann Arbor by Aug 25th for orientation.

Reactions: 1 users
A few apartments to check out are Island Drive and Medical Center Courts. Many medical and public health students live there. If you are looking to save money try some apartments toward Ypsilanti. If you live near Washtenaw Road there is a free bus (#4) that runs between Ypsilanti and the SPH. Some apartments in that area are Glencoe Hills, Spice Tree and Arbor Woods. I will be living at Spice Tree. It is about a 20 min. bus ride and there is a stop at the complex.
Once you have a UMich ID you will have access to the UM roommate message board through the off campus housing site.
As for timelines, I am not so sure about that. But I would assume the sooner the better. I know we have to be in Ann Arbor by Aug 25th for orientation.

Has there been any more information about the beginning of school? I haven't even heard officially that orientation is August 25

Members don't see this ad :)

I have a UMich ID number but every time I try to log onto the Michigan Off Campus Housing website, I get the following message:

Access denied
Friend accounts can only be used to access University of Michigan resources.

Anyone know why that is?

I have a UMich ID number but every time I try to log onto the Michigan Off Campus Housing website, I get the following message:

Access denied
Friend accounts can only be used to access University of Michigan resources.

Anyone know why that is?

Sorry, I should not have said UM ID, when you actually accept admission you will make a UM username, this is what you will use to sign in.

Reactions: 1 user
Has there been any more information about the beginning of school? I haven't even heard officially that orientation is August 25

There has been no official word, but everything I have read from previous years has said the week before school starts is orientation week.

So basically I can't check out the housing listings unless I choose to go to Michigan?

I think you can't look at the roommate message boards unless you are a student.

So basically I can't check out the housing listings unless I choose to go to Michigan?

Once you accept and pay the deposit, you get an E-mail to make your UM unique name. This allows you to access things that are UM student only.

Thanks guys! So are you two leaning towards Michigan or still considering other schools? :)

Thanks guys! So are you two leaning towards Michigan or still considering other schools? :)

I put in my deposit for Michigan a week or so ago :) How about you?

Nice! I still have to wait for revised fin aid packages. What put Michigan over the top for you two? I bet it feels good to send in that deposit :)

I live in Michigan (couple hours from AA), and it has always been my dream to go there. Plus in state tuition and the scholarship they gave me...there was really no competetion :)

I was deciding between Emory and UMich for awhile. Umich was my "reach" school so I was really excited to have gotten in. Their faculty seem great and I think it will be a good academic challenge. I am interested in social determinants, health disparities, and community-based participatory research, so very obviously the school was a good fit for me in those regards. I got to visit Ann Arbor and really liked the city and could see myself enjoying 2 years of my life there. The alumni network is very strong and everyone has always had such positive impressions of it (alumni and others) :)

I am just worried about the cold haha