Michigan(IS) vs Kentucky(OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmakessmiles

Reaction score
Michigan(IS)
pros
-in state tuition
-close to home
- “best school in the world”
cons
-bigger class
-staying in the same place as undergrad
-no summers off
-starts a month after graduation
-higher cost of living

Kentucky(OOS)
pros
-super small class size- 65
-better fit/ community environment
-new place
-lower cost of living
-scholarship possible after going in
cons
-more expensive

I am so torn if anyone has any great experiences at either! i’m really focused on getting more clinical experience? i don’t care about research. I might specialize in peds, unsure!

Members don't see this ad.

Dental school is dental school…stop overthinking this…please be smart and go to Michigan. As you said, Michigan is the “best dental school”…lol…why would you not want to go to the best dental school? Seriously, there is nothing to even be “torn” about...easy decision…save money, be close to family, and go to a fairly good dental school…win, win, win.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Though Michigan is undoubtedly good, if you're looking for more clinical experience, Kentucky is probably a better option. Michigan definitely prioritizes research despite having their pathways program, which is where most of the ranking for "best dental" comes from. Also, another thing to consider is technology - Kentucky is very high tech, and if that's what you envision your practice looking like, maybe that might be a better option. Everyone is going to tell you to go for the cheaper option, which is absolutely valid - but you should consider what you want for your future and how you are going to get there. Seems to me like you have a longer cons list for Michigan.

Members don't see this ad :)
Michigan, solely for costs. Honestly you don’t realize this, but you’ll start filling out your FAFSA and it straight up tells you how much you’re gonna end up paying back. I go to UMN, my IS school and it was telling me 4500-5000 a month…for 10 years. And that’s on the cheaper end of dental school. Consider 60k of your earnings going to paying back your debt is crazy, let alone even more if you’re going OOS.

Just keep that in mind. Get in and get out for a little as possible.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah the loans make you want to die a little instead... Each semester your in school it keeps going up up and away. Hard to look at lol

I respect your opinion @EnchantedCookies but…you are giving OP bad advice. There is a reason why people on SDN who completed DS say similar things on this forum…OP do yourself a big favor and realize that you will learn just the very basics to not hurt someone no matter which DS you go to…repeat…no matter which dental you go to. If you have an option to go to a DS that: 1) saves you money, 2) not hurting for patients, 3) good reputation, 4) close to family, and 5) safe location…that’s the right choice…you are fortunate enough to be accepted to a DS (UM) that checks all the boxes. This is such a simple decision to make…when I say simple…I mean simple!

Reactions: 2 users
Michigan(IS)
pros
-in state tuition
-close to home
- “best school in the world”
cons
-bigger class
-staying in the same place as undergrad
-no summers off
-starts a month after graduation
-higher cost of living

Kentucky(OOS)
pros
-super small class size- 65
-better fit/ community environment
-new place
-lower cost of living
-scholarship possible after going in
cons
-more expensive

I am so torn if anyone has any great experiences at either! i’m really focused on getting more clinical experience? i don’t care about research. I might specialize in peds, unsure!
cheaper

I respect your opinion @EnchantedCookies but…you are giving OP bad advice. There is a reason why people on SDN who completed DS say similar things on this forum…OP do yourself a big favor and realize that you will learn just the very basics to not hurt someone no matter which DS you go to…repeat…no matter which dental you go to. If you have an option to go to a DS that: 1) saves you money, 2) not hurting for patients, 3) good reputation, 4) close to family, and 5) safe location…that’s the right choice…you are fortunate enough to be accepted to a DS (UM) that checks all the boxes. This is such a simple decision to make…when I say simple…I mean simple!
I agree that money is a very very big factor, but to some people (such as those who may be fortunate enough to not be taking out loans), money may not be the ONLY factor - didn't want to assume. I aimed to tailor the response based on what OP is looking for - clinical experience.