MD & DO Michigan Resident: School Help (re-applicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SouthCountyBaseball

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I am a re-applicant, and during my gap year accomplished many things which are marked (new).

STATS:

MI Resident

Undergraduate Degree from Michigan State University (Physiology)
cGPA: 3.44
sGPA: 3.51

Currently Working on my Masters at Wayne State University (Basic Medical Sciences which is affiliated with the MD school)
GPA: 3.62 (new, all science based)

MCAT: 28

Healthcare Experience: 300 hours volunteering in emergency department (New)/surgery/endoscopy units

(New) Patient Care: Went to Haiti for 10 days on a medical based trip, treated 100's of patients, taking vitals, histories, watching surgeries, and (I know this is frowned upon) but under the eye of an anesthesiologist, administered knee and elbow injections.

Shadowing: >300 hours (abroad, family practitioners (New), anesthesiologists, OB/GYN), pediatrics)

Community Service: 100 hours, habitat for humanity, services for older citizens, etc

Research Experience: Over 1000 (mostly new) hours working in cancer research and surgery research

Publications: I have over 12 publications (10 of which are new) since 2013, 10 have come in the last year, multiple first authorships.

Leadership/Work Experience: Teaching assistant for First Aid And Personal Safety (1 semester), Taught 3 undergraduate students how to run experiments, and got them published in the summer of 2014 (Roughly 300 hours). Sailing Coach for summers 2009, 2010 and 2011, will have 800 hours.

I originally applied to chicago/michigan MD schools. I realized my scores were low, and decided to do the masters program at Wayne State.

I was interviewed and waitlisted by Wayne State on the first go around (my only interview).

Interested to hear other point of views as to where else to apply for MD and DO schools.

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Hey MSU physio major! internet high 5!

I'd take my advice with a grain of salt because I don't even know where to apply myself -_-
But I'd go through the MSAR look at schools with alot of research funding and mention research in their mission statements. With 12 publications, I assume mostly from your graduate experience, you have significantly more research than a vast majority of undergrads applying. Then look at spreads and see if you fall in their range, other wise probably no point in applying there.
I see no reason why you wouldn't get into MSU COM which is a great program! a 28 is totally reasonable for DO schools.

Apply to all the Michigan schools. Other schools you could consider are:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Commonwealth (PA)
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
St. Louis
If you apply broadly to at least 10 DO schools you should receive several interviews with your stats.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
12 publications is...a lot, wow

agree with faha -- state schools and low-tier privates

don't mention your experience with the anaesthesiologist

Thanks to all those who have responded, your help is greatly appreciated.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please don't hesitate to comment.