Michigan State C/O 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

honeypot999

Michigan State c/o 2027
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Making a thread for those applying to Michigan State this year. I’m an incoming first year so hopefully I can give insight to how first year progresses!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m a 2nd time applicant. Hopefully this year we don’t have as much of a delay with everything like last time!

Reactions: 1 users
First time OOS applicant! MSU is high on my hopeful list, good luck everyone :)

Members don't see this ad :)
First time applicant to MSU, third time applicant in general. OOS! Good luck everyone :)

Just to clarify, Michigan State does not consider cumulative GPA at all? Just if you meet the 3.0 science prerequisites minimum and last 3.0 last 45 minimum - you are eligible for review? Hopefully, that made sense! I would be super happy if this is the case lol

Just to clarify, Michigan State does not consider cumulative GPA at all? Just if you meet the 3.0 science prerequisites minimum and last 3.0 last 45 minimum - you are eligible for review? Hopefully, that made sense! I would be super happy if this is the case lol
Yes once you meet the gpa requirements they no longer look at gpa

How does Michigan calculate the last 36 hours gpa? For instance, if I repeated a course three times within my last 36 hours will they consider all grades for this calculation or just the most recent attempt?

How does Michigan calculate the last 36 hours gpa? For instance, if I repeated a course three times within my last 36 hours will they consider all grades for this calculation or just the most recent attempt?
The most recent attempt or highest grade which is likely your most recent attempt as they do grace replacement

I imagine they calculate it how any school would, they take the last 36 credit hours, and if there are more credit hours in that semester that it lands those go into the equation too.

What @honeypot999 said is correct, the highest grade is the one used in the pre-req/science GPA calculations. However, you are saying that you've repeated a course several times within that last 36 credit hour window. I imagine that they would include ALL courses taken in that time frame. This is kind of an odd scenario, I would confirm with admissions just to be sure. Good luck!

Second time applicant! Really hoping this cycle goes smoother!

first year student here, good luck everyone! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Third time applicant and this is my first time applying to Michigan!

This is my second cycle applying, first time applying to MSU OOS! Good luck to everyone!

Good luck everyone, rooting for y'all! I'm a current first year, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

does anyone know if admin looks at the prerequisites you assigned in VMCAS, or just what's on your transcript? I just noticed that I assigned calc I for my math requirement (also can we talk about how they don't accept calc II, calcIII, or stats??) when I had a higher grade for my precalc class that I took as a Dual class in highschool so I honestly forgot to even consider it. I'm assuming they would take the higher grade, but just wondering how much they weigh how we matched our prereqs to our classes? thanks!

does anyone know if admin looks at the prerequisites you assigned in VMCAS, or just what's on your transcript? I just noticed that I assigned calc I for my math requirement (also can we talk about how they don't accept calc II, calcIII, or stats??) when I had a higher grade for my precalc class that I took as a Dual class in highschool so I honestly forgot to even consider it. I'm assuming they would take the higher grade, but just wondering how much they weigh how we matched our prereqs to our classes? thanks!
As long as you meet the required minimums for GPA, your file will go into review and the GPA is no longer a factor in your application from what I understand.
You can reach out to admissions and see if they can change the assignment on their end. I don't know what exactly MSU does, but I know other universities will look at your assignments and transcripts and see if there is a more GPA beneficial route for those. I was told this by that school's admissions office because I had made a mistake on my pre-req assignments as well. My point being, you won't know for sure unless you ask and it never hurts to ask.

To be fair, not many students in a life sciences degree program would take calc II. My degree required it (Cell and Molecular Biology), but I was the ONLY non-engineering student in my calc II class and no other pre-professional programs at my undergraduate school required it either.

Anyone received a confirmation email or a student portal from them after submitting?

Anyone received a confirmation email or a student portal from them after submitting?
MSU doesn’t do a portal. Last year we didn’t hear anything until November 23rd saying they were running behind schedule

Also please be advised for this week and next the CVM is alternating breaks so some people could be out of the office this week and next.

That application status email was such a jumpscare good lord

Reactions: 12 users
Anyone know any time line of when we should hear back? Their website says interview notifications starting in November for interviews starting in December but I know last cycle they were extremely behind.

They typically send stuff out the week of thanksgiving. Per my past experiences with the school!

Anyone know any time line of when we should hear back? Their website says interview notifications starting in November for interviews starting in December but I know last cycle they were extremely behind.
I wish I could give you insight, but I have no idea. We got an email last year the day before Thanksgiving that things were delayed. I know of a handful of people in my class who were interviewed and admitted in late April.
I hope for y’all it’s not as delayed as it was last year!

Especially since we are going on thanksgiving break starting tomorrow/today, I wouldn’t expect anything till December in past years. I believe in 2022 rejections initially went out in November and notifications went out in December. Then last year it was an update and then notifications in January through April.

It really depends!

It just stated that my app is in file review after seeing that my academic stuff was good. Did no one else receive this email?
I know one other person who got it, maybe they're doing it in waves? I know I met academic requirements lol.

It just stated that my app is in file review after seeing that my academic stuff was good. Did no one else receive this email?

I am also an IS applicant!

I also received this email. I’m OOS. It said if I am selected for an interview I’ll receive an email invite by 12/22.

Last edited:
I am OOS and have not received one yet. Last year they sent out emails 11/22 and 1/23 stating they were still doing academic review and file review and interviews were scheduled for the last 2 weekends in February.

I’m OOS and haven’t received anything yet either. But somebody just posted on reddit saying they were denied so maybe not hearing anything is good news? My heart can't take the stress of waiting and not knowing anymore lol

Reactions: 2 users
I got an email back in October that said my application was verified and it also said that for IS applicants they would hear back at the end of November for file reviews and for OOS it would be the end of December.

I’m OOS and haven’t received anything yet either. But somebody just posted on reddit saying they were denied so maybe not hearing anything is good news? My heart can't take the stress of waiting and not knowing anymore lol
It sounds like this email was purely based on meeting their academic requirements (minimum GPA and prereqs). I'm betting they're sending them out in waves and that's why so many haven't received anything? Last cycle a lot of people had issues with Michigan denying them for academic requirements and they successfully appealed it.