Michigan vs UAB - please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

propofol4lyfe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Preface: I did make a new account to post this. I have been active on sdn since medical school started, and I want to have some anonymity for this post :)
-
Far and away, Michigan and UAB are my top two choices. Geographically, I live almost equidistant from the two programs. I realize that they are quite different, but in many regards very similar. I’m really 50/50. While I know that I probably cannot go wrong with either, I would like some feedback from my friends here on sdn!
-
As I see it:
-
Michigan: I think Michigan has the edge on national prestige and research opportunities, and they certainly have more in-house fellowship opportunities (especially peds and cards). I liked Michigan’s post-post-call PACU days. I also liked Ann Arbor much more than Birmingham (though the surrounding areas of Birmingham are very nice). I definitely liked the residents at Michigan a lot more as well. My concerns were about the very strong surgical intern year, seemingly high amount of time in the ICU (minimum 6 months, often more), and seemingly moderate regional experience (but not weak), as well as the high cost of living in Ann Arbor. They also have no moonlighting opportunities (I have a family, and yes that extra bit of money is helpful!). My other concern was that it sounded a bit like a workhorse program. I’m not trying to complain about hours – but they seemed to be in the rooms late into 5-7pm much more often, and had some of the later hours of a lot of the programs. Also, the little to no time for electives as a CA3?
-
UAB: It seemed that the UAB residents were equally experienced, and certainly they were really nice too. Their regional is stronger, but the CRNA-in-the-room peds experience is weird. I also liked their breadth of call (alternating between OB and trauma call seemed advantageous). I also liked their LEAD program, which I think I would certainly pursue. They seem to have a better intern year, and more opportunities for electives as a CA-3. Of course, one of their huge selling points is their moonlighting – which is awesome. Their PD is really nice too. One caveat is that I don’t consider myself to be ‘southern’ at all (I don’t hunt or fish), so would I be out of place? Birmingham definitely has the edge with weather, and the cost of living in Birmingham is nice. However, I was definitely sketched out by the city of Birmingham.
-
About me: Have a family, I may pursue a fellowship though probably will not end up in academics. I like research but it is not the most important to me. Any thoughts and insight would really be appreciated. I have been debating these two for a while now, and as rank list submission day draws nearer, I need some help and input. I would love to hear what other people think. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't interview at UAB so can't help with the comparison. I spoke to one resident at Michigan who said that external moonlighting opportunities exist, but they were not widely taken advantage of due to lack of financial strain (coming from many places in the country, Ann Arbor seems INCREDIBLY cheap).

There are external moonlighting opportunities in Michigan that are kept on the DL, ventilator farms and ICU on the weekends. I think some people did urgent care. You need to have a full license in order to do that, and to include them in your duty hours. It's worth mentioning that due to the House Officer Association, you get a nice fat bonus every November. The percentage changed recently but in my last year got ~$4,000 lump sum after tax. Plus an extra $100 for working on holidays and on my birthday. And if you don't have to work on your birthday, you can claim another day as your birthday for that extra cash.

ICU isn't bad, when you're the senior resident you're on call every 4 days and you have the post-post call day off. So ~7 days completely off each month, not including the post call day. It's really convenient for getting errands done during the week and studying for exams.

There are cheaper townships outside of Ann Arbor that are easy to commute from. Traffic is negligible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of the residents at UAB communicated an hour heavy intern year.

Preface: I did make a new account to post this. I have been active on sdn since medical school started, and I want to have some anonymity for this post :)
-
Far and away, Michigan and UAB are my top two choices. Geographically, I live almost equidistant from the two programs. I realize that they are quite different, but in many regards very similar. I’m really 50/50. While I know that I probably cannot go wrong with either, I would like some feedback from my friends here on sdn!
-
As I see it:
-
Michigan: I think Michigan has the edge on national prestige and research opportunities, and they certainly have more in-house fellowship opportunities (especially peds and cards). I liked Michigan’s post-post-call PACU days. I also liked Ann Arbor much more than Birmingham (though the surrounding areas of Birmingham are very nice). I definitely liked the residents at Michigan a lot more as well. My concerns were about the very strong surgical intern year, seemingly high amount of time in the ICU (minimum 6 months, often more), and seemingly moderate regional experience (but not weak), as well as the high cost of living in Ann Arbor. They also have no moonlighting opportunities (I have a family, and yes that extra bit of money is helpful!). My other concern was that it sounded a bit like a workhorse program. I’m not trying to complain about hours – but they seemed to be in the rooms late into 5-7pm much more often, and had some of the later hours of a lot of the programs. Also, the little to no time for electives as a CA3?
-
UAB: It seemed that the UAB residents were equally experienced, and certainly they were really nice too. Their regional is stronger, but the CRNA-in-the-room peds experience is weird. I also liked their breadth of call (alternating between OB and trauma call seemed advantageous). I also liked their LEAD program, which I think I would certainly pursue. They seem to have a better intern year, and more opportunities for electives as a CA-3. Of course, one of their huge selling points is their moonlighting – which is awesome. Their PD is really nice too. One caveat is that I don’t consider myself to be ‘southern’ at all (I don’t hunt or fish), so would I be out of place? Birmingham definitely has the edge with weather, and the cost of living in Birmingham is nice. However, I was definitely sketched out by the city of Birmingham.
-
About me: Have a family, I may pursue a fellowship though probably will not end up in academics. I like research but it is not the most important to me. Any thoughts and insight would really be appreciated. I have been debating these two for a while now, and as rank list submission day draws nearer, I need some help and input. I would love to hear what other people think. Thank you!

UAB intern here. I didn't apply to Michigan, so can't compare directly.

Yes, the PD and chair here are great. I wouldn't worry about the southern thing too much in terms of fitting in with other residents. Yes, areas of Bham can be sketchy, but you wouldn't live in those areas. I also have a family, and live in the suburbs where the schools are better. It takes me 20 minutes to drive garage to garage, and I am literally probably living further away than any resident or fellow in the anesthesia dept. Yes, the intern year is fairly tough, but I don't feel that it is excessively so. The internal medicine department (where you spend most of the intern year) is fantastic...I know Michigan IM is the real deal too. Bottom line is that you need to decide based on where you felt the best personality and culture match, along with where you'll be happiest living. It sounds as though you're giving the edge to Michigan. You can't go wrong. Good luck with your decision.

-
-
As I see it:
-
-
-

The post-post call days are preop holding room (not PACU)- lots of lines/epidurals/AFOIs, sweet deal. Average work hours are about 60s+/- 10. There are external moonlighting opportunities as a PGY 3/4. Ann Arbor isn't THAT expensive, and very reasonable if you look outside of downtown. Intern year is not nearly as bad as it looks, I promise. They are working on creating electives now.

Warmth beats the cold.
$$$ helps with kids, and B'ham is dirt cheap.
It's only 4 years during which you'll be very busy regardless, so I'd go with the loot and easier living down south.
Though Michigan still has D1 football.

In closing, ask your SO. Happy SO => happy life.

Reactions: 2 users
Bumping this for this year. Got great energy from the PD and faculty at UAB, but didn't feel the same warmth at Michigan.

Is this just a difference between north and south? Or because the PD is new? It still sounded like the Mich residents get all the support they want and need and are really happy even though they are a big class. I know I can not like Michigan, but it's fits for me better geographically and probably opens up more doors after residency.

Where do you plan to work after residency? I'm in Wisconsin and I'd hire someone from Umich any day if we had a vacancy.