Micro class vs. lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AniSci

AniSci
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't seen any similar threads about this, so here goes. Bear with me! :dead:

My adviser suggested taking microbiology this fall, which I was: A) already planning on, and B) already knew it would be beneficial for later use in vet school. The fall will be my last semester before I graduate in December (2015) & (hopefully) start vet school next fall (2016).

I haven't looked into/spoken to anyone else about how their schools set it up, but my university has divided it into a 2 hour lecture (2Xs a week) and a separate lab course (2 hours & 45 minutes, 2Xs a week).

I've heard rough things about the lab; I know micro is sometimes (depending on the person) really rough in & of itself, but based on what I've heard about this specific lab, it's an absolute nightmare and you're lucky to get a C, no matter how hard you work/study. I've yet to get anything lower than a B+ in undergrad, and I don't want my last semester to be tainted by a C. -_-

I'm also taking physics 2 in the fall, which I'm terrible at. So my time will largely be divided between crying over physics and then crying over (probably) micro lab. And on top of applying to vet school and pushing myself through physics and the general "I'm 100% done" senior-itis attitude, should I even bother with the micro lab course? Does it help at all for vet school, or will the knowledge alone benefit me for school? I'm not planning on going into vet research or working in a lab all day.

I'm also taking biochem over the summer, so it's not like I'll be fresh & ready to "do some learnin'" once fall starts. I'm just not so sure killing myself, risking a C, having a rough last semester, and being worried about vet school applications/interviews is the best thing to do, if it's not worth it. If at all possible, in an ideal world I think eliminating micro lab would help alleviate it a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

check with the vet schools you are applying to and see if they require it. If not, it likely doesn't make a difference

Reactions: 1 users
check with the vet schools you are applying to and see if they require it. If not, it likely doesn't make a difference

See it's already finals week for me, and my brain no longer thinks to actually check with the vet schools I'm applying to... ;) Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also planning on taking micro lab in the fall (took the lecture-based class last fall but couldn't fit the lab into my schedule). It's required for me but since it sounds like it'd just be an elective for you, could you take it pass/fail? That way you would get all the benefits of taking the class (aka the learning aspect) without having to stress about making the grade as much. Hopefully someone will come along and say whether vet schools look down on taking a course pass/fail if it's not required for your degree or pre-req.

On a different note, my school is the same with the horror stories about the hellishness of micro lab. However, one thing I've noticed with this is that people LOVE to complain about labs. Same thing with Ochem lab, and while it was definitely A TON of work, it was not the impossible task people made it out to be. I think generally the people complaining are ones who are putting in the same amount of work as they would for a lecture based class, when in fact labs are inherently more time intensive.

Good luck!

I'm also planning on taking micro lab in the fall (took the lecture-based class last fall but couldn't fit the lab into my schedule). It's required for me but since it sounds like it'd just be an elective for you, could you take it pass/fail? That way you would get all the benefits of taking the class (aka the learning aspect) without having to stress about making the grade as much. Hopefully someone will come along and say whether vet schools look down on taking a course pass/fail if it's not required for your degree or pre-req.

On a different note, my school is the same with the horror stories about the hellishness of micro lab. However, one thing I've noticed with this is that people LOVE to complain about labs. Same thing with Ochem lab, and while it was definitely A TON of work, it was not the impossible task people made it out to be. I think generally the people complaining are ones who are putting in the same amount of work as they would for a lecture based class, when in fact labs are inherently more time intensive.

Good luck!

Thank you for the input & suggestions!

Personally, I like(d) organic lab; yes, it was a TON of work, but they really do a good job at putting fear into you beforehand so you do do take it seriously. But it helps that I enjoy organic in general--I have to work at it, but I find it cool, even the lab procedures.

Micro, however, sounds like a royal pain. I'm not an biology major for a reason lol! The material sounds cool, but learning the differences/reasoning why some culture dishes are better than others, I literally could care less about it. Plus they make it way harder and much more time-consuming than necessary. I hate that garbage more than I hate physics, and that's saying something.

Definitely check with schools!

Thank you for the input & suggestions!

Personally, I like(d) organic lab; yes, it was a TON of work, but they really do a good job at putting fear into you beforehand so you do do take it seriously. But it helps that I enjoy organic in general--I have to work at it, but I find it cool, even the lab procedures.

Micro, however, sounds like a royal pain. I'm not an biology major for a reason lol! The material sounds cool, but learning the differences/reasoning why some culture dishes are better than others, I literally could care less about it. Plus they make it way harder and much more time-consuming than necessary. I hate that garbage more than I hate physics, and that's saying something.

....you do realize there are practical applications to even that and you will use it in practice. How will you know which culture method or container to use for whichever bacterial infection you may suspect from lesion on a patient? You use the wrong type of swab, media, or transport, and you are SOL with a diagnosis.

Look, I get that we all have to study things we don't find particularly interesting. But be honest - you have consistently displayed this I-don't-like-it-so-I'm-not-gonna attitude. You need to start looking for the positives, even in subjects you don't like. Trust me, I know how it feels. I wanted to be a research vet or, later on, a pathologist for most of vet school. I couldn't give two ****s about surgery. I couldn't give two ****s about hands-on treatment. I couldn't give five dozen ****s about anesthesia, radiology, etc. But I took a deep breath, put a smile on, and made it as meaningful as possible even if it wasn't in my area of interest. And lo and behold, I actually did gain skills and info that helped me later on. And I never would have known unless I took them (well, obviously it was vet school so I had no choice, but you know what I mean).

Additionally, based on your posts as a whole, you sound like you are 100% on the path to burn yourself out. You need to take a break and step away for a bit. Somehow, somewhere. You don't want to have a nervous breakdown happen halfway through vet school. I've done it; it ain't fun.

....you do realize there are practical applications to even that and you will use it in practice. How will you know which culture method or container to use for whichever bacterial infection you may suspect from lesion on a patient? You use the wrong type of swab, media, or transport, and you are SOL with a diagnosis.

Look, I get that we all have to study things we don't find particularly interesting. But be honest - you have consistently displayed this I-don't-like-it-so-I'm-not-gonna attitude. You need to start looking for the positives, even in subjects you don't like. Trust me, I know how it feels. I wanted to be a research vet or, later on, a pathologist for most of vet school. I couldn't give two ****s about surgery. I couldn't give two ****s about hands-on treatment. I couldn't give five dozen ****s about anesthesia, radiology, etc. But I took a deep breath, put a smile on, and made it as meaningful as possible even if it wasn't in my area of interest. And lo and behold, I actually did gain skills and info that helped me later on. And I never would have known unless I took them (well, obviously it was vet school so I had no choice, but you know what I mean).

Additionally, based on your posts as a whole, you sound like you are 100% on the path to burn yourself out. You need to take a break and step away for a bit. Somehow, somewhere. You don't want to have a nervous breakdown happen halfway through vet school. I've done it; it ain't fun.

That's precisely why I'm asking whether or not I should take it. If it's not necessarily worth it (some schools don't require the lab component, and anything you need to know they will teach you), why should I torture myself? I already know I'm going to hate it, I already know I'm going to be miserable and (by the fall) 100% ready for graduation.

When it comes to actual classes that I know I'm going to use, I'm good at "putting on a smile". But I've worked with vets, have countless friends that are doctors/nurses (unrelated, I know), and know a few researchers. Based on my knowledge, swabbing plates is something that I'll be sending off to a lab in order to be taken care of. In the mean time, I'll know, understand, and appreciate being knowledgeable as far as how to handle it from there.

I'd also appreciate not being attacked or ridiculed. I asked nicely for people to bear with me; I don't understand why people on here are so rude and snobby.

That's precisely why I'm asking whether or not I should take it. If it's not necessarily worth it (some schools don't require the lab component, and anything you need to know they will teach you), why should I torture myself? I already know I'm going to hate it, I already know I'm going to be miserable and (by the fall) 100% ready for graduation.

When it comes to actual classes that I know I'm going to use, I'm good at "putting on a smile". But I've worked with vets, have countless friends that are doctors/nurses (unrelated, I know), and know a few researchers. Based on my knowledge, swabbing plates is something that I'll be sending off to a lab in order to be taken care of. In the mean time, I'll know, understand, and appreciate being knowledgeable as far as how to handle it from there.

I'd also appreciate not being attacked or ridiculed. I asked nicely for people to bear with me; I don't understand why people on here are so rude and snobby.
You've gotten excellent advice from multiple sources, and WTF's included. It wasn't snobby, it was realistic. You've posted multiple times about being unwilling to take a class because you know it'd make you miserable. How do you know until you take the class? I've felt that way about multiple classes in both undergrad and vet school, that I was going to hate it but had to do it (biochemistry and physics come to mind) and they both turned how far better than expected and actually ended up enjoying to some degree.

The thing is, if you go into it with this "I'm gonna hate it" attitude, then yes, you're going to hate it. You've already set yourself up for failure.

I also don't understand why you keep posting class advice here and then getting upset when people give you advice. WTF said be wary of burnout, and you replied saying they were rude and snobby. Everyone here has the same access to school requirements as you do, so if you already know it's not required, then obviously it's not going to hurt your chances to not take it.

I also question your hatred of biology classes ("there's a reason I'm not a biology major"). Vet school = bio classes on steroids. Just be aware that even if you avoid the "scary micro lab" now, you'll probably get another one in vet school (we did here at UMN, it was called "diagnostics lab" which was essentially the same as the micro lab I took at undergrad level).

I have no idea how you took my post as attacking you or ridiculing you. I was giving you advice not only in terms of trying new things and trying to keep a positive attitude so you don't feel miserable, but also in terms of keeping yourself from burning out. You have serious interpretation issues and need to stop being overly defensive.

The thing is, if you go into it with this "I'm gonna hate it" attitude, then yes, you're going to hate it. You've already set yourself up for failure.

Exactly.

Just be aware that even if you avoid the "scary micro lab" now, you'll probably get another one in vet school (we did here at UMN, it was called "diagnostics lab" which was essentially the same as the micro lab I took at undergrad level).

Indeed. We had and entire semester of Bacteriology + lab in vet school. And most of the lab was *gasp* diagnostics, plates, tests, etc.

Based on my knowledge, swabbing plates is something that I'll be sending off to a lab in order to be taken care of. In the mean time, I'll know, understand, and appreciate being knowledgeable as far as how to handle it from there.

I'm talking about collection methods from the actual patient. Suspect a deep anaerobic infection and use an aerobic swab? Too bad. Suspect Salmonella and don't use Cary-Blair transport media? Oops. Do you know how to collect and store an appropriate blood culture sample? Etc. I'm not talking hardcore diagnostics, I am talking practical application that an everyday vet would use. In addition, another benefit they have you do all the "swabbing of plates" and learning about growth conditions is so you can understand how the bacterium works and why it does what it does.

However, that is besides the point. You seem to be quite convinced of what you do and do not need to know, and there's no talking to you about that.

I encourage you to go back and re-read my post and take it in the way it was actually written and intended.

Reactions: 1 user
Alright guys, listen up here.

I am not lazy, I clearly don't always look at future classes as if they're going to be the absolute death of me. I'm not lazy, I'm just running out of undergrad, hoop-jumping steam.
I've gotten thru everything except phys 2 & an "optional" micro class, & I've done it well. I knew & have known what I was getting myself into from the second I set foot on campus. And I'm not a bio major because I see animal science/vet medicine & the literal subject of bio totally different. They're geared differently, taught differently, & mean different things to me. I know vet school isn't going to be easy at all, & I'm OK with it--in fact I'm looking forward to it because it's actual material I'm passionate about. Countless medical professionals--vets, dentists, doctors, nurses--all say you don't use any of the material you learn in undergrad. YES, you apply it, it's involved & it never leaves you. But it's not the same as going into a grad program for it.

AND I know myself better than anyone else; I know my limitations, my motivations, & my passions. I know how and when to take it easy, when I'm close to burn out & when I can keep going.

So thanks.

all say you don't use any of the material you learn in undergrad
well count this as one vet that disagrees. It's a foundation that you need from undergrad classes. Yes, most of it is reiterated or you are told to self study in vet school. That doesn't make it useless or pointless. It actually sets you up for success later.

Btw, you literally learn biochem in vet school.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I would take that lab. At my university, most lectures and lab classes were combined so I didn't have a choice, but I really enjoyed my Mycology lab section (obviously more focused than a general microbiology course, but relevant to the discussion). Staring into a microscope for six hours a week wasn't the funnest experience I had in college, but it was pretty cool to be able to identify the structures on samples we had learned about in lecture. It also help cement some of the things I'd learned.

I doubt I'll remember specifics in vet school I learned in undergrad, but like dyachei said, undergrad provides a foundations. College physics, chem and bio where nothing like those courses in high school, but I was very glad I had taken them because of the foundation they provided.

Alright guys, listen up here.

I am not lazy, I clearly don't always look at future classes as if they're going to be the absolute death of me. I'm not lazy, I'm just running out of undergrad, hoop-jumping steam.
I've gotten thru everything except phys 2 & an "optional" micro class, & I've done it well. I knew & have known what I was getting myself into from the second I set foot on campus. And I'm not a bio major because I see animal science/vet medicine & the literal subject of bio totally different. They're geared differently, taught differently, & mean different things to me. I know vet school isn't going to be easy at all, & I'm OK with it--in fact I'm looking forward to it because it's actual material I'm passionate about. Countless medical professionals--vets, dentists, doctors, nurses--all say you don't use any of the material you learn in undergrad. YES, you apply it, it's involved & it never leaves you. But it's not the same as going into a grad program for it.

AND I know myself better than anyone else; I know my limitations, my motivations, & my passions. I know how and when to take it easy, when I'm close to burn out & when I can keep going.

So thanks.
I don't think most poster are calling you lazy, they are just telling you to be wary of the attitude of "I just don't want to do it because it doesn't pertain to what I like." Why? Because this attitude can follow you to vet school, and can lead to burn out, as WTF mentioned.

I know you mentioned the bolded, but unfortunately, just like in undergrad, there will be subjects you will not care about. I know it's hard to think about not liking something pertaining to vet med, but believe me, it will happen.

I also disagree that undergrad is useless. Whether you think every single class is worthwhile, it sets you up with skills and knowledge that you can use to help cope with vet school

I just don't get starting a thread when you clearly already know what you want to do. You don't want to take the lab, then don't take the lab. No one here exists to tell you what you want to hear, so if you're going to start a thread asking for people's opinions, that's what you're gonna get. If you didn't actually want opinions...then why did you start the thread??

When it comes to actual classes that I know I'm going to use, I'm good at "putting on a smile".

I know vet school isn't going to be easy at all, & I'm OK with it--in fact I'm looking forward to it because it's actual material I'm passionate about.

I would recommend that you go back and dispassionately review the comments to which you were responding when you wrote the above quotes. You missed the point (completely) on both of them.

Best of luck. If it were me I would not take the extra class. You can learn it in vet school and save yourself the money.

I'm not lazy, I'm just running out of undergrad, hoop-jumping steam.

LIFE is hoop jumping. The hoops will never, ever stop. Trust me. Like I said, it sounds like you are burning out. I don't know why you are reacting with such hostility at the suggestion and calling it a rude attack.

Look, everyone looks at the next step as "But now I'm really going to be doing what I want to do and will love everything! All I have to do is finish this and get out!" But the reality is that life isn't like that and will never be like that, even if you get your dream job, or get into your dream school, or what have you. You are pushing madly ahead with blinkers on which will do more harm than good in the end. Take it from someone who has seen it a lot in over a decade of higher education.

And no, you don't. At least, not to the extent you think you do. You're still very young. Limitations, motivations, and passions are all subject to external pressures and absolutely can and do change. Sometimes slowly over time, sometimes abruptly and painfully when you reach the end of your rope. Some of us have experienced these things and we are trying to explain to you that having this blinkered mindset is going to do nothing but box you in and burn you out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
As a microbiologist I strongly recommend taking the lab. There is so much to be gained from understanding the process of bacterial identification that, as a veterinarian, you can benefit from.

And not all hospitals send out culture swabs. Many do their own in house cultures (I am trying to set this up at my own hospital because I enjoy it so much).

But all that is besides the point. WTF and others have given you excellent advice. I definitely recommend taking a step back from getting defensive and listening to those who have actually been through vet school already.

Reactions: 4 users
Micro was actually my very favorite class in all of undergrad, and I was an animal science major, not a bio major. It was a tough class but interesting and one of the most applicable courses to vet school that I took in undergrad. Like kcoughli said, if you go in expecting to hate it, it will be a miserable experience. If you're going to go into it with that attitude, don't bother taking it. And if you don't actually need it for your degree or for vet school, give yourself the break. But it is an interesting, applicable class.

Bac-T is important for veterinary school. You'll have an entire [vet school] class dealing with microbial classification...the system of which depends on your knowledge of differential growth media, etc. Many folks on here have said it, but I'll reiterate it- undergrad classes provide you with a foundation of knowledge on which your veterinary education builds. I would caution you against the belief that you'll have passionate interest in every class you have in veterinary school. I quite enjoy the majority of my veterinary classes, but loathed anatomy with a white hot passion. Anatomy was a key foundation of our first year. No getting around it. Now that it's done, I'm stoked. I'm under no delusion that I'll love every class to the same degree in the next few years. It just doesn't work that way.

@AniSci

I can see how you misconstrued the original comments because, let's face it, words on the internet, more often than not, are interpreted more harshly than they were intended.

If you're new and not used to the tough love this site provides, yeah, you might get your feelings hurt. But you should realize that the advice is coming from people who do care and want to give a realistic impression of vet school and the vet community. Maybe it wasn't sugarcoated the way you wanted to hear it, but ultimately those who commented noticed a certain mentality emanating from your words and felt it necessary to make you aware of it.

Also, think how boring and useless a forum would be if the only advice you got was from people willing to hold your hand and agree with you? Invariably people will not always agree with you and will make assumptions that you don't like based on the information you provided. Happens every day to every one of us.

As far as your predicament: every school has a different microbiology requirement. Make sure you figure out what that is before you decide to take it or drop it.

(You will be flat-out rejected if you apply somewhere and don't meet their prerequisites even if your application is great otherwise).

Personally, I had to include a Microbio class with lab for the majority of my applications. I'm finishing taking it right now... it's honestly not that bad, and learning the lab techniques is actually pretty fascinating. My only gripe was with the TA's (in)ability to be a good TA, but as for the subject matter... highly doable. If you don't want to take it, fine no worries, but make sure you adjust your vet school apps accordingly.

I'm sorry you feel like the internet hated on you today, but, if nothing else, a number of people have given you insight into your options.

And I'm not a bio major because I see animal science/vet medicine & the literal subject of bio totally different. They're geared differently, taught differently, & mean different things to me.

How do you know they are taught differently and geared different when you have never been to vet school? I can guarantee you there is a LOT of hardcore biology and biochemistry all through vet school. I'm not saying you have to be a bio major, but that you need to be prepared for this because you can't just skip out on stuff (micro, genetics, whatever) because you don't like it, or you're tired/burned out/have senior-itis, or whatever once you are in vet school.

Countless medical professionals--vets, dentists, doctors, nurses--all say you don't use any of the material you learn in undergrad.......

YES, you apply it, it's involved & it never leaves you.

This is a complete contradiction.

Last edited:
May I just say that I :love: all the various agar types (and maybe the smell too). They come in so many pretty colors and make even prettier colors when they're growing things. I wish I had taken Micro at my actual undergrad than when I was abroad...it was a hard class but I think I would have gotten a lot more out of it (instead I prepped for it all 3 years of undergrad).

I would definitely just double check what is required with whatever schools you're applying too. I remembered seeing quite a few that said you HAD to take the associated lab that went with certain classes. Can't remember if Micro was one, but I'd kind of be surprised if it wasn't. The lab work is just as important as the lecture material IMO. And I'm still always surprised when schools don't require that you take a lab for a specific class. That was not an option where I went to undergrad. Heck, I had to snatch up an O Chem lab spot to override into the lecture. Probably screwed someone else over in the process, but that was the only way to guarantee a spot in many of our science classes.

May I just say that I :love: all the various agar types (and maybe the smell too). They come in so many pretty colors and make even prettier colors when they're growing things. I wish I had taken Micro at my actual undergrad than when I was abroad...it was a hard class but I think I would have gotten a lot more out of it (instead I prepped for it all 3 years of undergrad).

I would definitely just double check what is required with whatever schools you're applying too. I remembered seeing quite a few that said you HAD to take the associated lab that went with certain classes. Can't remember if Micro was one, but I'd kind of be surprised if it wasn't. The lab work is just as important as the lecture material IMO. And I'm still always surprised when schools don't require that you take a lab for a specific class. That was not an option where I went to undergrad. Heck, I had to snatch up an O Chem lab spot to override into the lecture. Probably screwed someone else over in the process, but that was the only way to guarantee a spot in many of our science classes.
I always loved my pretty stack of rainbow agar plates :D

I know vet school isn't going to be easy at all, & I'm OK with it--in fact I'm looking forward to it because it's actual material I'm passionate about. Countless medical professionals--vets, dentists, doctors, nurses--all say you don't use any of the material you learn in undergrad. YES, you apply it, it's involved & it never leaves you. But it's not the same as going into a grad program for it.

Vet school is a whole lot of material from microbiology to physiology to pharmacology to anesthesiology to radiology to anatomy to large animal medicine to small animal medicine to exotic animal medicine to public health and so on and so forth. The information never stops coming. And while I can say that I LOVE things like small animal medicine, radiology, surgery, and I even enjoyed equine medicine despite really not having any interest in equines there were other (and currently there are some) classes that I just don't care as much about. However, I still give them my attention and I still learn something from them (even if I may never use that something ever again).

There are going to be many times in vet school that you are way less than "passionate" about the material. There are going to be times that you might actually hate the material. But you have to take it. You don't get a choice. What you are doing right now is saying, "I know I won't like that subject and it is hard so I give up and I am going to try to weasle out of it if I can".. well, you can't do that in vet school. And why do you hate on something and decide that you don't like it without giving it a chance? You can't say that you hate something until you actually go through it. It is like saying you hate a type of food but never actually trying that food. And despite your current thought that you will be passionate about every topic in vet school, you won't be. And it is ok not to be, because we all have various interests. That is why we have some crazy people that are pathologists @WhtsThFrequency and some even more crazy people that go into equine medicine and some insane people that specialize in surgery. However, you have to get through all of it.. you don't get to cherry pick things. And microbiology is going to be a BIG something that you go through in vet school. I spent a decent amount of time in microbiology both in undergrad and in vet school and I STILL have things I don't recall and don't know well. It is a big topic and a very important topic. Do you have to take it in undergrad? I don't know, you need to check with the schools. But if you already are claiming that you won't like it, well then you might as well already mark one vet school course that you will loathe because it isn't going to go away.

What people are trying to point out to you is that you seem to view undergrad as a "jumping through hoops" deal, when, in reality, that information is going to be important in various ways. You also seem to want to get through without challenging yourself at all. Anytime you post you mention avoiding something. So far, it has been statistics, genetics and now microbiology. All of which are very important in vet school.

We are also trying to point out that you are consistently talking about how you are going to "be miserable" and are "100% ready for graduation" well that isn't healthy. That is showing that you are burnt out, whether you want to recognize it or not. If undergrad is burning you to the point that you are "going to be miserable", then vet school (which is undergrad on steroids) is definitely going to run you into the proverbial wall. People aren't being mean saying this, they are trying to get you to realize that you are at a point of burn out. We can see it in your posts. You don't currently have the right attitude to allow yourself to succeed in vet school because anytime you are met with a challenge or something that you don't like you are going to burn out (or just avoid it as you do now). You just need to take a step back and realize that. Recognize that your posts are indicating that you are currently burnt out and the last thing that will help that, is going to vet school, that is the way to make yourself go into a downward spiral.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. Some vet clinics will do this in house. It depends on where you work and what policies they have in place.
We plate urine samples all the time. We don't streak them the same way we did in micro lab, but definitely an idea of aseptic technique would be a important.

I took the micro class without the lab and I don't regret it. I definitely struggled in Bacteriology, but so did most of the people in my class. You certainly aren't obligated to take the lab, and you'll probably do fine in vet school even if you don't.

I think the issue most people are having is that your train of thought about a lot of these things isn't logical or realistic. And that's okay, because once you're out of undergad you'll realize how wrong you were about a lot of things. But if you're going to explain your thought process in such detail, expect people to disagree with you. And try to be teachable about it. You may feel like you know yourself better than anyone else, but that isn't really true. All of us who are in vet school or graduated see little bits of our naive pre-vet selves in the things you're saying and we're trying to help you not think the stupid things we did. At the time we thought we knew everything, but a couple years of vet school really burst that bubble.

LIFE is hoop jumping. The hoops will never, ever stop. Trust me. Like I said, it sounds like you are burning out. I don't know why you are reacting with such hostility at the suggestion and calling it a rude attack.

And no, you don't. At least, not to the extent you think you do. You're still very young. Limitations, motivations, and passions are all subject to external pressures and absolutely can and do change. Sometimes slowly over time, sometimes abruptly and painfully when you reach the end of your rope. Some of us have experienced these things and we are trying to explain to you that having this blinkered mindset is going to do nothing but box you in and burn you out.

I can't agree with this more. I changed a lot throughout my undergrad career and the biggest changed occurred during first semester junior year. I lost the closest relationship I had ever had with a friend, my sister and boyfriend's sister were nearly killed less than a month before classes started, I was working two jobs, and I failed organic I (which I took because I thought I was badass enough to take on the worst professor employed by my undergrad). This all happened over the course of four months. In hindsight, that was when I started to realize my limitations and faults as a person. Before, I thought I was a nicer person than I am; I thought I could handle stress better than I did; I thought a lot of things about myself that were not true and I had to learn to acknowledge that. It took my parents, sister, boyfriend, and two closest friends to say to me in various, sometimes not nice at all, ways that I was not the person I thought I was. In all honesty, that realization came too late and may have screwed me over for my first application round. If I am honest with myself, I am a ******* for taking that organic class at my undergrad instead of taking it over the summer at home. I would have done better in my other classes that semester, wouldn't have that failed grade on my transcript, and probably would have been higher on the waitlist than I was or maybe even accepted. Instead, I wasn't.

No one knows themselves perfectly. You know what you want to know until you learn to acknowledge those faults you have as a person. The only way to learn about those faults is through other people or life smacking you up the head with reality. The responders to your posts (past ones as well as this one) have noticed a trend in that you try to avoid things you don't like if at all possible and seemingly go fishing for advice you want instead of advice in general. In answer to @ameropean_chelsea 's question on whether or not you are new here, you aren't. You probably have noticed trends in how people answer questions, so what did you expect?

I feel like many of us have been telling @AniSci for a while now that life is filled with things you don't like to do, don't see the point of, think are stupid, etc and so on - but that you have to do. Sometimes experience is the best teacher. Unfortunately it's probably going to be a fairly uncomfortable lesson.

I initially clicked on this thread because I'm taking Micro with lab this upcoming fall semester (was always set on taking it with lab since I've heard it's very rewarding and fun/painful), and was just curious as to what the general response would be to the question. I've honestly lurked here on and off for three years, and I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has ever given your honest opinion and advice on this forum! It's weird, but whenever I read a thread like this one, in which tough love is doled out like candy on Halloween, I just feel so appreciative to have this online community that I can refer to/lurk on and learn from :cat:. You guys are really my reference when I feel like I have nobody to turn to (honestly, I'm the Pre-vet club president at my school and we have 5 members total, all younger than me :rolleyes:). Whenever they ask me questions that I don't know/can't find online/haven't researched yet, I can usually find it somewhere on SDN soo I don't know how many people are going to see this, but I just wanted to say that you guys rock! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks, @Daelite! Like I said in my post a few back, tough love is what got me to acknowledge the person I really am. I always try to be honest, even when it isn't what the person wants. Sugar coating isn't going to help anything. lol.

And welcome to SDN!

well count this as one vet that disagrees. It's a foundation that you need from undergrad classes. Yes, most of it is reiterated or you are told to self study in vet school. That doesn't make it useless or pointless. It actually sets you up for success later.

Btw, you literally learn biochem in vet school.

THIS THIS THIS TIMES 100

Nutrition... biochem. Physiology... biochem. Biochem is the foundation of so much of medicine, you will need that background. Microbiology lab techniques are used in vet school and beyond. Don't discount any of the sciences you learn in undergrad, you never know where your career is going to take you and what you might need. Telling yourself you won't need it and shouldn't take it is both incorrect and closes you off from what could be a valuable knowledge base.

I initially clicked on this thread because I'm taking Micro with lab this upcoming fall semester (was always set on taking it with lab since I've heard it's very rewarding and fun/painful), and was just curious as to what the general response would be to the question./QUOTE]

I think some if not most schools (some please correct me if I'm wrong) require micro with the lab. I know that there's some discrepancies between whether they count as 4 or 5 credit hours, but some of my friends called the vet schools they applied to since they required 5 hours and some courses are 4, and they had no issues. Personally, I loved microbiology. The lab was awesome and I found the class really interesting. However, mine was not a writing intensive course as a lot of them are so I could see how that would be concerning.

If you do take the lab, I recommend taking face wipes or face wash with you. Since I took it as a summer course, we were in the lab 3 hours a day 2x a week so my face really hated being around those bacteria all the time and I broke out several times. It stopped once I started washing my face soon after lab. But it was worth the breakouts because it was a lot of fun! I hope this helps!

Great to know! Thank you for the heads up!

And my Micro class fulfills a written requirement for my school, so I've heard great things about the lab itself, just not so much great things about the length of each lab report :rolleyes:.