Microbiology Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackjackson1121

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any good videos online that explain microbiology topics well? Im taking a summer class right now and the book is extremely boring. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You could try searching specific topics up on Youtube or Google. It's hard to recommend anything, but Khan Academy was decent for the basics.

Reactions: 1 users
What book do you have? Took microbiology last semester. I've had several bookmarked pages but deleted them. Try searching online for microbiology wikipedias (might help to search for specific procedures). My problem with the book was that I ended up reading material that wasn't going to be covered in class because it was interesting.... It took up most of my study time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It was all perspective for me. Textbooks in general can be very bland and straightforward, but if you take a genuine interest in the topic things become clearer and easier to understand. At least that's what works for me. The more I feel like I WANT to learn/understand, the better I do. Good luck. I also agree with general searches on Google/Youtube/Wiki. Good luck to you!

Curiosity + Wikipedia
Use the lecture notes as a scaffolding and whatever you don't understand look up in your textbook. If the textbook is absolutely awful, look it up on Wikipedia. But being curious is absolutely an essential component.

As a microbiology major, I can tell you that I was waiting for microbio to get REALLY interesting until I graduated...

But try Khan's academy

As a microbiology major, I can tell you that I was waiting for microbio to get REALLY interesting until I graduated...

But try Khan's academy
Microbiology didn't get interesting to me until I worked in a lab that sent salmonella into space lol

I found microbio very interesting. From all the different inoculations to learning how to prepare a 4-quadrant streak, it was all so different and thought-provoking. I enjoyed every bit of my class and my grades reflected that. I had even considering majoring in it, but ultimately decided on biochem.

Clinical Microbiology made Rediculously Simple is a must have book for micro. It has hilarious mnemonics and pictures as well as concise reviews of the topics.

Hey. Prescott's Microbiology. I think that's the book I had.... Had the 7th edition, though. Made studying harder b/c we were using Prescott's 9th edition. Got the 7th edition for free.