Microbiology pre-requisite in CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ieatants23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am stuck in a strange dilemma with fulfilling the microbiology pre-requisites at certain pharmacy schools. I reside in California and most pharmacy schools in California no longer require taking microbiology lab as a pre-requisite while most pharmacy schools out of state require microbiology lab. I have recently graduated and have already taken the lecture portion of microbiology at a UC but I haven't taken the lab portion. I need the lab portion as well because I was planning on applying to some out of state schools. Since I no longer have student status at UC-Irvine, I would have to pay a huge chunk to take just one lab course at UCI which I can't afford at the moment. I was planning to take the lab course at a local community college, but in order to take the lab i have to take the lecture as well. This is problematic because I already took the lecture and received a passing grade well over a C- at my university. So I was wondering is it possible for me to just retake microbiology lecture at a community college in order to receive the lab credits, even if I received a passing a grade at my university?

Members don't see this ad.

If they require micro with lab, then your only option is to take one with the lab or take the lab separately so that it appears on your transcript. I would still try to see if you can take only the lab at the community college or elsewhere for cheaper. Otherwise it sounds like yes, you'll have to just take the combined lecture/lab again at the community college.

Yeah, I think I might just take the combined lecture and lab again. I assume it won't be too much of a hassle then :p