MICU and OR, how hard is it to get both going on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FranticFrancis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there, this is my first thread, so probably it would be a good idea to start by explaning my situation to you guys.
I'm from a South-American country, currently MS4 (here it takes 6 years to graduate in medicine) and, obviously, I'm planing to have my residency done in the US.
Well, the problem is I can only get three months of US clinical experience during my graduation(university policies), so I have been reading this forum for months already in order to pick one of all the great and awesome specialties in medicine ASAP, so that when I go through the clerkships/rotationals/electives (still don't know the difference between each one) I'll have already chosen that which I'll be doing 'till my days come to an end.
Now, after reading possibly hundreds of threads, I have narrowed my options to EM/CC and Gas/CC.
One thing is certain: I want to be an intensivist, at least parttime.
So I wanted to know from you guys if it is that hard to find an anesthesiologist that works both OR and MICU (not SICU, 'cause OR/SICU seems quite expected). I mean, all going as planned, and, for example, I choose to do Gas/CC, will my subspecialization necessarily be guided towards SICU? How hard is it to get to a CC fellow that will lean more towards MICU?

Thank you all in advance, and I'm mortally sorry for any english-related errors in my text ('m a little bit rusty, but I'll get back on my horse as soon as I start practicing more often).

Members don't see this ad.