Mid-level providers and AP Billing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPath2000

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Morning,

Over the years my partners and I have had conversations about the utility of mid-level providers in anatomic pathology. By mid-level providers we mean licensed ARNPs and Physician Assistants (PA's) ; not Pathologist's' Assistants. We don't know of any groups that do this. Right now, this is more of a thought experiment.

We usually discuss two separate scenarios:

1. Can a licensed mid-level practitioner be the rendering provider and bill Medicare and commercial payors for 88300-88365 codes? I know the AFP Pathology Service Coding Handbook addresses "Clinical Scientists (PhD)" not being able to bill for professional services but it is less clear about ARNP and PA's.
- The scenario was that group practice of pathologists would spend several years training a licensed mid-level provider on how to work up cases, diagnose cases, determine medical necessity for stains, etc. We would have a robust analytic and post-analytic QA system in place.
- Could a mid-level be the rendering provider independently for the surgpath codes?
- Are there rules (CMS, payor, or state) that specifically prohibit mid-levels from billing surgpath codes?
- Malpractice?
- Would a physician cosign be necessary?

2. The discussion that comes up more frequently is: Would a pathology group be able to train a mid-level provider, histotechnologist, or even someone with graduate-level biology-related degrees to screen cases and work them up for an attending pathologist? This would be similar, I suppose, to the way that fellow/resident physicians may preview, order stains, and prepare a case for signout before showing it to the attending. Or a tech looking at a bad IHC and reflexing a do-over.
- The pathologist would then look at the case, take into consideration the mid-level's impression, interpret (or discard) special stains, render a diagnosis, and issue a report in the pathologist's name. The previewer would not be referenced in the final report or paper records.
. The purpose of this would be to increase pathologist productivity by training someone to preview and work up cases.
- Competency assessment by direct observation would be extensive,

is anybody out there doing this?

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Morning,

Over the years my partners and I have had conversations about the utility of mid-level providers in anatomic pathology. By mid-level providers we mean licensed ARNPs and Physician Assistants (PA's) ; not Pathologist's' Assistants. We don't know of any groups that do this. Right now, this is more of a thought experiment.

1. Can a licensed mid-level practitioner be the rendering provider and bill Medicare and commercial payors for 88300-88365 codes? I know the AFP Pathology Service Coding Handbook addresses "Clinical Scientists (PhD)" not being able to bill for professional services but it is less clear about ARNP and PA's.
- The scenario was that group practice of pathologists would spend several years training a licensed mid-level provider on how to work up cases, diagnose cases, determine medical necessity for stains, etc. We would have a robust analytic and post-analytic QA system in place.
- Could a mid-level be the rendering provider independently for the surgpath codes?
- Are there rules (CMS, payor, or state) that specifically prohibit mid-levels from billing surgpath codes?
- Malpractice?

2. The discussion that comes up more frequently is: Would a pathology group be able to train a mid-level provider, histotechnologist, or even someone with graduate-level biology-related degrees to screen cases and work them up for an attending pathologist? This would be similar, I suppose, to the way that fellow/resident physicians may preview, order stains, and prepare a case for signout before showing it to the attending. Or a tech looking at a bad IHC and reflexing a do-over.
- The pathologist would then look at the case, take into consideration the mid-level's impression, interpret (or discard) special stains, render a diagnosis, and issue a report in the pathologist's name. The previewer would not be referenced in the final report or paper records.
. The purpose of this would be to increase pathologist productivity by training someone to preview and work up cases.

Is this a joke???

Reactions: 4 users
I think everyone would just wait for AI to do this. Or pigeons.

1639762997228.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A. Pancreas, core biopsy: Thrice peck carcinoma (see comment)

Comment: Excise for further peckings.

Pigeon Assistant. I mean...PA.

I love that picture. That pigeon is doing pathology so hard, it hurts.

I would check out radiology for an example of PA's and billing first. However, I'm not sure that a Path Assistant is qualified to do the high complexity testing under CLIA.

I'm almost speechless. Midlevels receive almost no actual medical training, especially regarding histology and pathology. I'm a psychiatrist but highly respect the role of pathologists after working with them in medical school. Healthcare is screwed enough already, please don't introduce midlevels into pathology.

Reactions: 1 users
Speaking of psychiatrist, anyone see Matrix 4 yet?

Morning,

- Malpractice?

is anybody out there doing this?Scenario 1
Morning,

- Malpractice?

Don’t wish that evil on path !
Pathology (AP at least) is immune from mid levels doing our job

1639781566441.jpeg

I didn't expect it to be real. I for one will welcome our pigeon colleagues. LMAO.

You could then really market your practice and show all your clients the critical steps that ancillaries perform in your lab on behalf of their patients.

Morning,

- Malpractice?

I don't believe there is any legal or beneficial role for mid-level providers in anatomic pathology. Just look to cytotechs and how limited their roles are for non-GYN cytology, and they actually get specialized formal training that doesn't exist in any way for any mid-level anatomic path provider.

Also, would these even benefit you in any way? Sure, they could preview your cases and maybe order some stains up front. But they'd be as useful/useless as residents. In other words, they would ADD time before you got the case, not save time. And your name would be the only one on the reports, so you'd still have to be just as diligent in your own viewing of the slides that really nothing they did would even matter - only you matter. I'm far faster without someone (resident or otherwise) looking at my slides before me. They come straight from histo to my desk and things get previewed by me immediately. I can't see any situation in which putting a separate person in between histo and me somehow improves my productivity.

Reactions: 1 users
Cytopathology is so bizarre because of the workload limitations. If you have a pulmonologist who does 3 or 4 bronchs a day that leads to large numbers of slides, you must delay some cases because you go over the slide limits. A cytoscreener helps you get around that by pre-screening the cases. It is so stupid and does nothing but delay cases.

Last edited: