Mid-Tier NYC IM Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theunderdog

Medical Student (Slave)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm sick of hearing about NYU, Cornell, Columbia, and Mt. Sinai about internal medicine in NYC!

I'm just an average MS3 AMG wanting to go back home to the northeast.

What are some OTHER big good internal medicine programs in NYC?

On a random note, any thoughts on Hopkins Bayview?

Thanks for any replies!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Einstein, Lincoln, Jamaica, Queens, Montefiore, Downstate, Maimonides, Brooklyn, Roosevelt or Beth Israel will test you with the differing pathologies - many inpatients are really sick with multiple morbitites.

Long Island, Brookdale, Coney Island, Forest Hills, Nassau, St. Vincent, Metropolitan, North Shore, St. Barnabas, St. John's, Staten Island, and Lenox Hill all offer good IM programs.

If I were to choose among the above New York IM residencies: Lenox Hill, Maimonides and Beth Israel.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply!

are the albert einstein programs any good in NYC? beth israel is one of them, but the two main ones are montefiore and jacobi.

Members don't see this ad :)
Einstein, Lincoln, Jamaica, Queens, Montefiore, Downstate, Maimonides, Brooklyn, Roosevelt or Beth Israel will test you with the differing pathologies - many inpatients are really sick with multiple morbitites.

Long Island, Brookdale, Coney Island, Forest Hills, Nassau, St. Vincent, Metropolitan, North Shore, St. Barnabas, St. John's, Staten Island, and Lenox Hill all offer good IM programs.

If I were to choose among the above New York IM residencies: Lenox Hill, Maimonides and Beth Israel.

I concur. :thumbup:

thanks for the reply! your links were very helpful.

for whatever it's worth, I know a resident at Maimonides (not in IM) and he likes it. I think it's a pretty busy hospital in Brooklyn, right? Apparently there are quite a few Russian and other foreign language speaking folks.

There is a great book on Maimonides - "Hospital", by Julie Salamon. She explored the interaction of hospital and surrounding community and it was just amazing to see how things work there. Just some distraction.

for whatever it's worth, I know a resident at Maimonides (not in IM) and he likes it. I think it's a pretty busy hospital in Brooklyn, right? Apparently there are quite a few Russian and other foreign language speaking folks.

Hospital has 17 official languages, and approximately 32 languages spoken. Very varied patient base.

Hey all. Please help me rank these programs. I haven't heard much about NY vs. Phili programs on the forum. I'd like to stay in NY but I'm interested in GI and would choose Phili if it's a stronger program. Thank you all.

Beth Israel
Lenox Hill
Jacobi
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel

Hey all. Please help me rank these programs. I haven't heard much about NY vs. Phili programs on the forum. I'd like to stay in NY but I'm interested in GI and would choose Phili if it's a stronger program. Thank you all.

Beth Israel
Lenox Hill
Jacobi
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel

You're almost for certain better off at any of those University programs than the NYC community programs.

Reactions: 1 user
If we're being honest, Einstein Montefiore is probably the only real mid-tier program in NYC. Beth Israel, Lenox Hill are probably on the lower end of mid-tier. The rest are all low-tier programs.

NYC is kind of weird because it has a cluster of great programs and a cluster of ****ty programs and only 1-2 in between.

If we're being honest, Einstein Montefiore is probably the only real mid-tier program in NYC. Beth Israel, Lenox Hill are probably on the lower end of mid-tier. The rest are all low-tier programs.

NYC is kind of weird because it has a cluster of great programs and a cluster of ****** programs and only 1-2 in between.

I'd agree with this. Montefiore is great (very academic, hard working NY kind of program), its just that some people are a little off put by location (the bronx) and it doesn't have as big of a name as the big university programs in manhattan.

Members don't see this ad :)
have u guys heard anything on the resident demographics at montefiore? any DO's there?

have u guys heard anything on the resident demographics at montefiore? any DO's there?

Not sure what all the DO schools are, so here's a current list of med schools the residents are from, categorical PGY1-3 + social medicine. I see a few FMGs but no DO schools jump out at me (you can look more carefully though).

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
George Washington University
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Medical University of South Carolina
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York Medical College
New York Medical College
New York Medical College
Northeast Ohio Medical University
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
State University of New York Downstate Medical Center
State University of New York Upstate Medical University
Tufts University School of Medicine
UMDNJNew Jersey Medical School
UMDNJRobert Wood Johnson
Universidade de Lisboa
University at Buffalo State University of New York
University College London
University of Illinois College of Medicine
University of Kansas School of Medicine
University of Pennsylvania
Albany Medical College
Albany Medical College
Albany Medical College
Bangalore Medical College
Columbia University
Drexel University College of Medicine
Hadassah Medical School
Howard University College of Medicine
Howard University College of Medicine
Jefferson Medical College
Karolinska Institute
New York Medical College
New York Medical College
New York Medical College
New York Medical College
Peking University
Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences
Tufts University School of Medicine
UMDNJRobert Wood Johnson
UMDNJRobert Wood Johnson
UMDNJRobert Wood Johnson
UMDNJRobert Wood Johnson
Universita de gli Studi di Bologna, Facolta de Medicina e Chirurgia
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
University of South Florida College of Medicine
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas Southwestern
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Wales College of Medicine
Albany Medical College
Eastern Virginia Medical School
FriedrichSchillerUniversitat Jena
Indiana University School of Medicine
Indiana University School of Medicine
Lady Hardinge Medical College, University of Delhi
Medizinische Universitat Wien
New York Medical College
New York Medical College
New York University School of Medicine
RuprechtKarlsUniversitat Heidelberg
Rush Medical College
Saint George's University
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
State University of New York at Stony Brook
State University of New York at Stony Brook
Temple University School of Medicine
University of Toledo College of Medicine
UMDNJRobert Wood Johnson
UMDNJRobert Wood Johnson
University of Cambridge
University of Maryland School of Medicine
University of Maryland School of Medicine
University of Massachusetts Medical School
University of Vermont College of Medicine
Wake Forest University School of Medicine
Yale University School of Medicine
BenGurion University of the Negev
Yale University School of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro
Weill Cornell Medical College
Columbia University
Columbia University
Cornell Weill
University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio
University of Michigan Medical School
Harvard Medical School
St. John's Medical College
University of California San Francisco School of Medicine
ChariteUniversitatsmedizin Berlin
Harvard Medical School
Harvard Medical School
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
Columbia University
Harvard Medical School
University of Connecticut School of Medicine

thanks man. looks like no DO's. where did u find this list?

When I called Monte, the PC flat out told me they don't accept DOs, but it doesn't say that on Freida. It sucks because my scores are well in range of them and I just got the shaft due to being DO.

To reiterate: the only mid-tier program in NYC is Monte which is still more competitive than your typical mid-tier program by virtue of being in NYC. The rest of the programs mentioned are low-tier. Some of the ones outside of manhattan are not even worth mentioning since an AMG should be aspiring for better training than these programs can offer.

Beth Israel
Lenox Hill
Jacobi
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel

Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
BI
Lenox Hill
Jacobi

When I called Monte, the PC flat out told me they don't accept DOs, but it doesn't say that on Freida. It sucks because my scores are well in range of them and I just got the shaft due to being DO.

sorry you had to find this out the hard way. there is a lot of misinformation in the DO forums with a lot of insecure people trying to drown out any real discussion about the extent of the disadvantage of being a DO. A significant number of mid tier and all top tier programs will not consider your application simply because you are a DO.

sorry you had to find this out the hard way. there is a lot of misinformation in the DO forums with a lot of insecure people trying to drown out any real discussion about the extent of the disadvantage of being a DO. A significant number of mid tier and all top tier programs will not consider your application simply because you are a DO.

What really makes me frustrated is that a large number of these misinformation users go into the pre-med forums. For most people on this forum it is already set in stone so it doesn't really matter.

Downstate and North Shore (close enough to the city..) aren't Mid tier?? academic, good location for training,
No. While NSLIJ is nominally now a University program, it's really still basically a decent community program.

Downstate is a s**tshow. And I say that as a Downstate MD grad.

Reactions: 1 users
Downstate and North Shore (close enough to the city..) aren't Mid tier?? academic, good location for training,

Downstate's program seems like a disaster. Got a horrible feel on interview day, tons of scut and unhappiness to go around, match list was weak and heard a chief mention he didn't match! Not mid tier by a long shot. Program is full of Caribs and some US MDs super desperate to be in NYC.

NSLIJ is mid tier but as you said it's not in NYC.

Downstate's program seems like a disaster. Got a horrible feel on interview day, tons of scut and unhappiness to go around, match list was weak and heard a chief mention he didn't match! Not mid tier by a long shot. Program is full of Caribs and some US MDs super desperate to be in NYC.

NSLIJ is mid tier but as you said it's not in NYC.

Really??? When I was there the chief said hr matched to cardiology at nslij. The other said pulmonary I believe

Also I believe nslij only accepts american MD grads and is stopping accepting do I believe?

No. While NSLIJ is nominally now a University program, it's really still basically a decent community program.

Downstate is a s**tshow. And I say that as a Downstate MD grad.
Downstate has like 8 chiefs or something ridiculous like that so your N of 2 and MeatTornado's N of 1 aren't mutually exclusive.

Oh wait good point, I think the ones i met were the kings county chiefs at the time

I just talked to the director of cardiology fellowship program at DS, he gave me a breakdown of how they view tiers for NYC IM programs, it looks like north shore is still included in the lower tier in their view. schools like Stonybrook, Downstate, Einstein, were placed in mid tiers. he said the reason is no one sees North shore as an university institute even with their med school, and NSLIJ hospitals have way too many privates to get as good of a training as ie from stony/ds/einstein

Last edited:
Oh wait good point, I think the ones i met were the kings county chiefs at the time

I just talked to the director of cardiology fellowship program at DS, he gave me a breakdown of how they view tiers for NYC IM programs, it looks like north shore is still included in the lower tier in their view. schools like Stonybrook, Downstate, Einstein, were placed in mid tiers. he said the reason is no one sees North shore as an university institute even with their med school, and NSLIJ hospitals have way too many privates to get as good of a training as ie from stony/ds/einstein
It all depends on what you're looking for in a program.

Reputation wise Downstate and NSLIJ are equivalent imo. You will work harder at Downstate, but will probably learn more through volume and autonomy. NSLIJ ancillary serves >>>> Downstate as is the salary. Really depends on what you value more. Location/autonomy/clinical training vs salary/cush

:thumbup::thumbup:

Given the DO bias of the NYC programs, which program would be considered the "stronger" program Beth Israel/SLR/Lennox/Jacobi when it comes to fellowship prospects, specifically GI.