Program-Specific Info / Q's Midwestern AZ Interview (Last Minute!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clow1001

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I was pleasantly surprised to have recently received an invitation to interview at Midwestern AZ. I had given up all hope in hearing from them and was just going to wait until next cycle to apply to more schools. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for the interview? This will be my first one!
Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations!
I was so nervous for my first interview. I made sure I read about the program and made sure to remember key differences compared to other programs. For example: learning/teaching style, fieldwork opportunities, any community service the programs take part in. After spending the extra time learning all I could about the program I felt less nervous. Remember, the people next to you are just as nervous as you are. So don't doubt yourself before you get interviewed. People will be talking about where they are from, what they do, what experiences they have been exposed to, among other things so don't compare your stats with theirs. If you have something from your background that stands out, try to weave it in there for one of the answers.

I used this website when practicing for my answers:
http://sciencepreps.iupui.edu/occupational-physical-therapy-programs-interview-questions

Make sure you ask questions that you won't be able to find on the school website. Make them specific to the program! For example, what is the passing rate for NBCOT for first-time takers? Or how does the program provide assistance to those having difficulty in a certain class? Not only does it make you seem very interested in the program, but you are asking questions regarding how to make sure you succeed!

Make sure you dress for success! I wore a black dress pants, nice blouse, with a black blazer, and black 2 inch wedge heels. Make sure shoes are comfortable enough for you to walk if they are giving you a tour of the campus. If you haven't gotten an itinerary always email and ask. You don't want to be wearing uncomfortable shoes as you walk around. You are dressing to impress and walking among future colleagues, which is what the people interviewing you will be seeing you as. I went to 3 interviews and basically recycled the same outfit, just changed my top and shoes accordingly.
Sidenote: During one of my interviews, one of the girls wore a fit and flare dress above her knees, as she was walking into the building a gust of wind hit and her dress went up pretty much exposing everything to 30 strangers.

Remember to smile and relax. I know it is hard, since interviews aren't exactly a walk in the park, but the interviewers know that. Being a super anxious person myself, I tend to over-think things and it definitely shows on my face sometimes. If you prep ahead of time you shouldn't be as nervous. Take a deep breath before answering questions, it shows you are thinking of a thoughtful response. You can even ask for a minute to process your thoughts before answering.
Last but not least, let your passion for OT show! I remember during my first interview the first couple of questions were about myself (strengths/weaknesses), but once they started asking me about OT and what geared me towards it, I noticed I couldn't stop smiling. Obviously my enthusiasm and passion for it showed because less than a week later they offered me a spot!

Good luck to you!

I got waitlisted back in mid August....was told it should be viewed as a positive but no idea if I should....help ):

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at Midwestern AZ and got accepted!
Make sure you know why you want to be an OT and really convey that. Also convey what you learned from observation experiences. You will do great!

Reactions: 1 user
I had an interview with Midwestern, AZ for the 2nd time and still didn't get in. I've had so much experience with volunteering and being an ABA Therapist, I'm shocked I didn't get in. Apparently, they claimed I do not know what an OT is or does... this is really frustrating and upsetting to me.

I had an interview with Midwestern, AZ for the 2nd time and still didn't get in. I've had so much experience with volunteering and being an ABA Therapist, I'm shocked I didn't get in. Apparently, they claimed I do not know what an OT is or does... this is really frustrating and upsetting to me.
Sorry to hear that! Many people have difficulty articulating their response for this. It is a touch question when you are on the spot. What was your response for it?

When did you interview and find out?

When did you interview and find out?
It's okay, I'm still wait listed and haven't even gotten the chance to interview

Sorry to hear that! Many people have difficulty articulating their response for this. It is a touch question when you are on the spot. What was your response for it?
I responded with what my experiences have been side by side with multiple OTs. Also about the multiple types of patients they treat and help.

It's okay, I'm still wait listed and haven't even gotten the chance to interview

Congrats on being waitlisted! That's better than being flat out rejected. I was waitlisted last year at Touro University, so I'm hoping they offer me another interview.