Midwestern U vs. PCO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marsiren

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to both Midwestern and PCO/Salus and am having some difficulty deciding between these schools. I was wondering if anyone would like to share their own personal pros and cons of both schools as either applicants or current students!:D

Any feedback is appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Midwestern a lot of people tend to stay away from because it's one of the new optometry programs. Not sure where it's at now though.

I applied to PCO and not Western, but I'll give you my PCO pro/cons.

Cons
  • seems pretty expensive. It doesn't have the highest tuition/living costs, but the students seem to graduate with more debt, compared to other schools, which makes me think their financial aid may not be great. Source: http://www.opted.org/wp-content/upl...ent-Data-Report-2014-15-Updated-July-2015.pdf
  • I don't know how much I like Philadelphia as a city
  • they don't seem to care that much about community service
  • I've heard negative things from a current student there, about how the curriculum isn't very well-organized.
  • Avg OAT AA of matriculants is pretty low
  • time-consuming/pricey to travel to and from home
Pros
  • the campus itself is quite pretty and has nice amenities like the fitness center just across the street
  • I want to go somewhere new for optometry school, and Philly counts as new