Midwestern University AZ or Western University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How Eggciting

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
:hello:

The title says it all. I've searched all over for a direct comparison of the schools here on SDN and haven't found anything. Would you choose MWU AZ or WesternU and why?

:thinking:

Members don't see this ad.

They are similar in many ways e.g. new building/equipment, desirable locations (close to LA and Phoenix), on the spendy side, new schools etc. You interviewed there, did you come away with any inkling of where you would be happier or which program you liked better?

CA cost of living>>>>>AZ cost of living. I live in the bay area right now and pay $2100.00 for a 2 bedroom 1 bath apt. with no washer/ dryer, and it is an older apt. This is the cheapest I have found here. I will be attending MWU-AZ in the fall and I have found a ton of 2 bedroom 2 bath apts. with washer/dryer, pool, right across the street from the school from $600-$1000. The schools are pretty much the same price in tuition but you will be saving a lot of money on living expenses in AZ. (eg. rent & gas). Now if money is not an issue, then I would compare the school itself (eg. clinics, amount and variety of patents, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! I'm quite familiar with cost of living, weather, neighborhoods, etc. of both places. I'm really just interested in knowing any important differences in the schools. I know MWU AZ takes boards after D1 and I don't think WesternU does. From everything I've gathered, it seems like MWU AZ (as a school) has more to offer. But again, I'm here to get honest insight. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
They are pretty equivalent. I am from CA and I saw both schools. I like Western because its closer to home but I liked Midwestern because it had more of a "campus feel" to it. I think you are going to get a very similar education from both schools. Also pomona has some affordable areas you can rent from.

Since both of these schools are part of Health Sciences universities, do they both require you to take the exact same basic science curriculum as/with DO students? I think I would prefer a school that had a focused dental curriculum, instead of just throwing DO and DDS students into the same classes.

Since both of these schools are part of Health Sciences universities, do they both require you to take the exact same basic science curriculum as/with DO students? I think I would prefer a school that had a focused dental curriculum, instead of just throwing DO and DDS students into the same classes.

D1 basic sciences is with opto students (lectures focus on head and neck when applicable). So it's not a total random grouping. We are both in the head. Only 40 of them so you hardly notice. After D1, it's all dental. Except pharm for 2 quarters when opto kids come around again. But dental pretty much dominates. Summary: not thrown in with med students.

That might be something to consider too. Size. MWU is double. But so far, they seem to pick good classes and there's room for all. You might not get a window seat on lab, but that's getting picky.

D1 basic sciences is with opto students (lectures focus on head and neck when applicable). So it's not a total random grouping. We are both in the head. Only 40 of them so you hardly notice. After D1, it's all dental. Except pharm for 2 quarters when opto kids come around again. But dental pretty much dominates. Summary: not thrown in with med students.

Thanks for that info; I have always wondered about that. Which school are you speaking for, though? Just MWU-AZ, or Western also? And do you know if what you said applies to all Health Sci U. Dental schools, like MWU-IL, AT Still, etc.?

I'm speaking of MWU-AZ. Western is different. Pretty sure it's with the DO students there. MWU-AZ D1 curriculum is catered to dental students and NBDE 1. We have the same faculty that lectures to the other health students, but they come to us (in our lecture hall) and cater it more towards us than a broad audience. They seem to be up to par on what to know for boards too. The optos are kind of along for the ride. They don't even do boards after first year or anything. I think they just had to go with us or something. I'm not sure how it works at other health science schools. Seems like everyone does their own thing.