Midwestern vs. ICO

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trubluphx2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I will be entering optometry school for the class of 2018 here very soon and am currently weighing two acceptance offers; Midwestern University here in my home state of Arizona or the Illinois College of Optometry. I could really use some advice on which school to choose, particularly from current or former students of either school (pros/cons etc.). Constructive advice would be greatly appreciated i.e. please don't just post trash about a school unless you'd like to explain why.

I have no more interviews scheduled, so these will be the only two schools I have to choose from.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a first year at ICO. Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.

Second year at ICO here. I don't know anything about Midwestern, but I for one now that ICO is a fantastic school. Feel free to message me too if you have any specific questions. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If there is a significant difference in the price of tuition at these two schools, that would probably be the basis of my decision. Cost of living is a huge factor as well.

I'm sorry, I just became a thorn in my own side for posting something unhelpful. Here is my .o2 - Midwestern is new. They have nice and shiny equipment, but a small selection of rotation sites from what I hear. It would be helpful to know what your criteria are for choosing a school. If it is purely academic, you may want to attend the more established school. In the end, my decision came down to cost and location.

I think I've decided on ICO. When you look at the additional fees that Midwestern charges it actually ends up costing more, plus I feel like I will get better clinical experience at an established school which is what employers will really be looking for I think.

Clinical experience at ICO is indeed top notch. And the alumni network is huge. I'll see you next year! :)