Might be dismissed from my school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunny1925

Reaction score
I need some advice. I think I might be dismissed from my pharmacy school. This was mainly due to professional reasons not meeting deadlines. Of course, this is my fault and I had a long conversation with my dean and advisors and they believed my well-being and mental health is affecting me staying at this school. I had to also repeat a year due family reasons that caused me to fail two courses. I also think they're right. I'm losing passion to even go to classes and I feel absolutely exhausted. Usually, they provide assistance for such things with meeting the Honor Council, but again I exhausted all their options and they have no clue what to do with me. My dean graciously offered dropping from pharmacy school rather than getting dismissed (this might be the likely option after talking with the Honor Council).

I'm just wondering what could my backup plan be? I really love the clinical side of pharmacy, talking to patients and helping them out. I'm just not too sure if my mental health is affected by the school work or my future as a pharmacist. I feel like other health professional schools is probably a no for me given my professionalism. I don't know if anyone has dealt with this. They are giving me till the tuition deadline to think it over. I also have to discuss this with my parents, which also won't be fun. I was wondering has anyone dealt with this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would take some time off and clear my mind. It is difficult for us to make recommendations because we don’t really know you.

Reactions: 2 users
Hard to make a recommendation but if you like patient interaction, most pharmacist jobs don't have any. Nurses, PA, NP, dental hygienist may be better for you? All are in demand, unlike pharmacists.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hard to make a recommendation but if you like patient interaction, most pharmacist jobs don't have any. Nurses, PA, NP, dental hygienist may be better for you? All are in demand, unlike pharmacists.
Thanks, I was definitely thinking PA or NP because originally my plan was medical school which is highly unlikely.

I’m also wondering I’m almost done with my third year and would hate to get dismissed around this time. Is it possible to continue on? Only because I paid so much and it would suck being dismissed around this time. However given I had many reports for professionalism, probably not. I tried to fight these before because some of them were during the beginning of Covid year, but they said it’s part of policy. I honestly think they picked on that I’m not passionate about pharmacy. It’s probably burnout.

Thanks, I was definitely thinking PA or NP because originally my plan was medical school which is highly unlikely.

I’m also wondering I’m almost done with my third year and would hate to get dismissed around this time. Is it possible to continue on? Only because I paid so much and it would suck being dismissed around this time. However given I had many reports for professionalism, probably not. I tried to fight these before because some of them were during the beginning of Covid year, but they said it’s part of policy. I honestly think they picked on that I’m not passionate about pharmacy. It’s probably burnout.

Have you talked to them about taking a year off and then coming back?

Reactions: 1 user
Have you talked to them about taking a year off and then coming back?
I emailed my dean about it yesterday. It just sucks because I had to actually repeat a year after failing therapeutics P2 year. I do want to look after my wellbeing.

Last edited:
I emailed my dean about it yesterday. It just sucks because I had to actually repeat a year after failing therapeutics P2 year. I do want to look after my wellbeing thought. I think I might have some underlying condition.

I know right now it doesn’t seem like it is a good option but one year is not significant when your work lifespan is 35 years.

Take some time off. Try to do some part time work just to keep yourself busy. Maybe a year from now you will decide pharmacy is not for you. The good news is your Fed student loan repayment is income based so it doesn’t matter too much if you have $100 k or $200 k. Life goes on.

It sounds like your school has given you chance after chance and is offering you a safe landing in dismissal.

You need to step away and reflect on what really got you in this situation, and how you handle it moving forward.

• Hmm
It sounds like your school has given you chance after chance and is offering you a safe landing in dismissal.

You need to step away and reflect on what really got you in this situation, and how you handle it moving forward.
You’re absolutely right! When I met with my Dean I realized part of it was avoidance and giving up sharing my perspective on these missed deadlines that I shut myself down. I also couldn’t face the hard situations. Hearing her say that made me realize the hard way and getting myself together. I think reflecting on this I realized that it could be I’m not truly enjoying what is coming out of pharmacy and I’m making it easier for them to make the decision.

Last edited:
You’re absolutely right! When I met with my Dean I realized part of it was avoidance and giving up sharing my perspective on these missed deadlines that I shut myself down. I also couldn’t face the hard situations. Hearing her say that made me realize the hard way and getting myself together. I think reflecting on this I realized that it could be I’m not truly enjoying what is coming out of pharmacy and I’m making it easier for them to make the decision.
I think you know- it's time to move forward away from pharmacy. It only gets more difficult after pharmacy school - pharmacy is a very competitive and saturated field.

Reactions: 5 users
I need some advice. I think I might be dismissed from my pharmacy school. This was mainly due to professional reasons not meeting deadlines. Of course, this is my fault and I had a long conversation with my dean and advisors and they believed my well-being and mental health is affecting me staying at this school. I had to also repeat a year due family reasons that caused me to fail two courses. I also think they're right. I'm losing passion to even go to classes and I feel absolutely exhausted. Usually, they provide assistance for such things with meeting the Honor Council, but again I exhausted all their options and they have no clue what to do with me. My dean graciously offered dropping from pharmacy school rather than getting dismissed (this might be the likely option after talking with the Honor Council).

I'm just wondering what could my backup plan be? I really love the clinical side of pharmacy, talking to patients and helping them out. I'm just not too sure if my mental health is affected by the school work or my future as a pharmacist. I feel like other health professional schools is probably a no for me given my professionalism. I don't know if anyone has dealt with this. They are giving me till the tuition deadline to think it over. I also have to discuss this with my parents, which also won't be fun. I was wondering has anyone dealt with this?
Make sure you prioritize your mental health. I had a classmate whose mother died a month before finals P3 year. They passed.

I had similar experiences—I failed multiple classes and was once dismissed from school. I wrote a 2-page letter to the committee explaining my situation and stating that I wanted to continue because I didn't want to waste my time and money (&of course explained how much I loved pharmacy experiences). I also mentioned that although it was my fault for failing courses, the school needs to help out students to walk out with a degree. This might sound somewhat rude, but the worst-case scenario of dismissal from school has already occurred, so I wrote what I wanted to say.
Our dean took a close look at my mental status and granted me readmission on the condition that I would take a year-long medical leave and provide a doctor's note. I successfully completed the didactic years upon returning and am now on APPE rotations. So good luck to you! I think you are experiencing burnout.

Last edited:
  • Love
Kudos tobla - you overcame a difficult situation and persevered ! Keep moving forward !