Might fail a class - effect on med school acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

balambfishie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I found out recently that I might be in danger of failing a P/NP GE class I'm taking this quarter. I was accepted to a medical school last fall and since it's my last quarter, I guess I've been kicking back and relaxing too much. The class is my native language and honestly, I'm doing fine on the exams (I'm acing those), but because of my poor attendance, I'm in danger of failing the class, which is my last GE requirement to graduate. My question is, if I fail, I definitely won't be able to graduate. Would that be grounds for revoking my medical school acceptance? I've tried to come up with solutions, but my possible outcomes are below:

1) Best case scenario: miraculously pass the class (unlikely, considering I've lost so many points due to attendance)

2) I talked to the instructor and he is unwilling to budge from the class policies. I can't get any extra credit or anything, because it would be unfair to the rest of the class (which is understandable - it's my fault I'm in this situation)

3) I went to see if there is still a language exemption exam for the language class I'm taking that can satisfy the university's requirement for a foreign language. If there is, I am 100% sure I'll pass because it's my native language. The problem is, there might not be one until next fall and I want to graduate this year before going off to medical school

4) Worse case scenario: I fail the class and don't have enough GE classes to graduate. I could take a summer course at a community college, but my issue is the medical school I was accepted to

TL;DR: Would failing a GE course required to graduate at the last moment be grounds for revoking a medical school acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

So I found out recently that I might be in danger of failing a P/NP GE class I'm taking this quarter. I was accepted to a medical school last fall and since it's my last quarter, I guess I've been kicking back and relaxing too much. The class is my native language and honestly, I'm doing fine on the exams (I'm acing those), but because of my poor attendance, I'm in danger of failing the class, which is my last GE requirement to graduate. My question is, if I fail, I definitely won't be able to graduate. Would that be grounds for revoking my medical school acceptance? I've tried to come up with solutions, but my possible outcomes are below:

1) Best case scenario: miraculously pass the class (unlikely, considering I've lost so many points due to attendance)

2) I talked to the instructor and he is unwilling to budge from the class policies. I can't get any extra credit or anything, because it would be unfair to the rest of the class (which is understandable - it's my fault I'm in this situation)

3) I went to see if there is still a language exemption exam for the language class I'm taking that can satisfy the university's requirement for a foreign language. If there is, I am 100% sure I'll pass because it's my native language. The problem is, there might not be one until next fall and I want to graduate this year before going off to medical school

4) Worse case scenario: I fail the class and don't have enough GE classes to graduate. I could take a summer course at a community college, but my issue is the medical school I was accepted to

TL;DR: Would failing a GE course required to graduate at the last moment be grounds for revoking a medical school acceptance?

Call the school at which you were accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uuuugh, failing (in general but specifically) from lack of attendance is pretty bad. You will need to sound appropriately humble/sorry/embarrassed during that phone call.

I would be working on contacting everyone I could right now to get this figured out as quickly as possible.

Reactions: 1 user
i think the issue is more likely that you won't have a bachelor's degree rather than have the F on your transcript.

check your school's matriculation requirements. Some specifically say you need to complete an undergraduate degree, others say your acceptance is pending the completion of the program you are currently enrolled in.

i think the issue is more likely that you won't have a bachelor's degree rather than have the F on your transcript.

check your school's matriculation requirements. Some specifically say you need to complete an undergraduate degree, others say your acceptance is pending the completion of the program you are currently enrolled in.

The acceptance letter specifically says I need to complete all course requirements and maintain my current level of academic performance. Should I email the school and ask? Call and ask? I'm hesitant to call attention to myself in the small chance that I pass the class last moment, but I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry.

The acceptance letter specifically says I need to complete all course requirements and maintain my current level of academic performance. Should I email the school and ask? Call and ask? I'm hesitant to call attention to myself in the small chance that I pass the class last moment, but I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry.

I would call. Explain the situation, and if receiving a P is necessary ask if retaking and passing the course over the summer is acceptable.

That... doesn't sound good for you. Don't say a word to the school until your grade is finalized and there's nothing else you can do about it. For now, do absolutely everything in your power to not fail. Do whatever it takes. I think you have to assume that if you fail the class, you will not be matriculating in the fall.

Reactions: 1 users
That... doesn't sound good for you. Don't say a word to the school until your grade is finalized and there's nothing else you can do about it. For now, do absolutely everything in your power to not fail. Do whatever it takes. I think you have to assume that if you fail the class, you will not be matriculating in the fall.

If he doesn't matriculate in the fall does that mean he has to reapply?

If he doesn't matriculate in the fall does that mean he has to reapply?

I'm on the quarter system too, so grades aren't finalized until about a month from now, by which, it'll be late in the game to reapply, won't it?

I'm on the quarter system too, so grades aren't finalized until about a month from now, by which, it'll be late in the game to reapply, won't it?

Which is why it's in your best interest to be proactive and contact the school. Then you can be better prepared should you end up facing the worst case scenario.

Members don't see this ad :)

If I were you, I would be meeting with the professor of the course you might fail and beg and plead and offer to do anything you can to avoid a failure. The medical school is NOT going to let you start there unless you graduate, and the best way to graduate is to NOT fail this class. Definitely look into the testing-out option, but your best chance probably lies with your professor, who might have enough sympathy to pass you along. DEFINITELY don't approach him or her sounding in any way entitled to a break, since you are in danger of failing this in just about the most irresponsible way possible......

What about contacting your school? My friend had to complete summer school after senior year, but was still allowed to graduate.

well "course requirements" probably just means the courses required to attend (i.e. 2 semesters bio, 2 semesters orgo, etc.) and maintaining your academic performance is up to their discretion. Does your school specifically require a bachelor's degree?

I personally wouldn't call them yet. I'd get on my knees and beg my school to allow me to graduate. No need to cross that bridge until you're forced to given what's at stake.

Your Dean is a good resource for this kind of problem. Be up front about the reason you are failing when you talk to the Dean, everything will come out eventually and you don't want to be seen as dishonest on top of everything

I had a friend who went to a top 30 uni after failing a graduation requirement. The school ended up letting them finish that and graduate the next year, they were still able to attend the school the following fall even though they technically didn't have a bachelors yet. It's all case by case, so hope is not lost. Good luck.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Your Dean is a good resource for this kind of problem. Be up front about the reason you are failing when you talk to the Dean, everything will come out eventually and you don't want to be seen as dishonest on top of everything

To clarify, are you talking about his undergrad Dean or medical school Dean?

I'd try my best to talk to people in my school (i.e. undergrad Dean) and see if the situation can be avoided. The moment you determine that it cannot, go ahead and reach out to your medical school. I dunno.. I feel like it would suck almost as bad to tell them you are failing a class but ultimately find a way to pass.

Your undergrad wants you to graduate... reach out to people above the professor (be respectful) and find a way. Accept responsibility for your mistakes though.. don't just ask for a free pass.

To clarify, are you talking about his undergrad Dean or medical school Dean?

I'd try my best to talk to people in my school (i.e. undergrad Dean) and see if the situation can be avoided. The moment you determine that it cannot, go ahead and reach out to your medical school. I dunno.. I feel like it would suck almost as bad to tell them you are failing a class but ultimately find a way to pass.

Your undergrad wants you to graduate... reach out to people above the professor (be respectful) and find a way. Accept responsibility for your mistakes though.. don't just ask for a free pass.

Undergrad Dean, +1 on all above :)

Get some knee pads and make some phone calls. If you don't fix this by the time your grades are final, chances are you will completely lose that acceptance and have to go through the application process all over again. Why would you slack like that, wtf? You give your ALL till the very end or you deserve the results that come your way.
tumblr_inline_mxgvacNDJq1rj32fq.gif

Reactions: 2 users

Should I go to the dean of my department or the dean of the department of foreign language classes? I already emailed the director of foreign languages at my school and am waiting for an answer. I also scheduled another appointment with my professor to try to show him remorse and see if he'll be sympathetic to my cause but I'm not expecting anything from him.

In addition, I also emailed my academic counselor and am waiting for an answer (can't schedule an appointment this late in the quarter because by the time I get one, the quarter will be over).

Should I go to the dean of my department or the dean of the department of foreign language classes? I already emailed the director of foreign languages at my school and am waiting for an answer. I also scheduled another appointment with my professor to try to show him remorse and see if he'll be sympathetic to my cause but I'm not expecting anything from him.

In addition, I also emailed my academic counselor and am waiting for an answer (can't schedule an appointment this late in the quarter because by the time I get one, the quarter will be over).

I am talking about your overall class Dean. Does your school have one? We have 4 Deans, one for each class. They are the highest order resource students have access to short of writing a letter to the President of the college.

Get some knee pads and make some phone calls. If you don't fix this by the time your grades are final, chances are you will completely lose that acceptance and have to go through the application process all over again. Why would you slack like that, wtf? You give your ALL till the very end or you deserve the results that come your way.

Yes, thank you for your input. I know that this is all my fault and I am not expecting anything. What's done is done and I came on here to ask for advice on what to do. If you have any helpful advice besides make a few phone calls, please tell me. Otherwise, please keep your mean comments to yourself. I'm already kicking myself in the butt for this and I don't need strangers kicking me down as well. Please and thank you.

I am talking about your overall class Dean. Does your school have one? We have 4 Deans, one for each class. They are the highest order resource students have access to short of writing a letter to the President of the college.

We have a dean for each of the schools in the university. I've worked with him before on club-related projects so I might be able to get a hold of him.

Yes, thank you for your input. I know that this is all my fault and I am not expecting anything. What's done is done and I came on here to ask for advice on what to do. If you have any helpful advice besides make a few phone calls, please tell me. Otherwise, please keep your mean comments to yourself. I'm already kicking myself in the butt for this and I don't need strangers kicking me down as well. Please and thank you.
All you can do is beg and plead from everyone that now holds your fate in their hands. If the teacher won't cut you any slack and there is no process for testing out of language coursework, your only option is to ask for a deferral of your admission. I don't know how much good contacting the dean will do, but you can try it. Your other option, since it's your native language, is to see if you can take an online course from another university and transfer it in for credit. A lot of decent colleges offer self-paced online language courses. Since it's your native language, you should be able to finish it in a couple weeks. Transferring it in will take another week or so. It's a last resort option, but it's faster than taking the language course at a CC next year. Whether this is an option really depends on your language- finding a self-paced online course for college credit from a reputable university in Spanish is a cakewalk (see link below if that's your language), finding one in Mandarin or Hindi is going to be basically impossible.

http://www.utexas.edu/ce/uex/online/

We have a dean for each of the schools in the university. I've worked with him before on club-related projects so I might be able to get a hold of him.
Talk to the professor first. If you run to the Dean and the prof isn't even planning on failing you, they might choose to fail you because they are ticked off you went over their head.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, why would you yourself in this position? To fail a language class of your native language is going to raise some questions...

OP I understand your position more than you think. These are inane rules that professors make so that their class isn't taken as a joke. WHY on earth would they stop an obviously adequate undergrad student from graduating just because you didn't sit there and look nice for the prof every other day?
It's your freaking native language...!
Sorry, kind of a rant for us both.
Point is.. I agree with everything they've said except for the judgmental "you shouldn't have done it" comments.

Since this is your native language, can't you petition to have the requirement waived for your GE?

OP I understand your position more than you think. These are inane rules that professors make so that their class isn't taken as a joke. WHY on earth would they stop an obviously adequate undergrad student from graduating just because you didn't sit there and look nice for the prof every other day?
It's your freaking native language...!
Sorry, kind of a rant for us both.
Point is.. I agree with everything they've said except for the judgmental "you shouldn't have done it" comments.

Better question: If all you had to do in order to graduate and go to medical school was go to class, WHY on earth would you not go? Blaming the rules for being "inane" (which they may be) doesn't change the fact that you have to follow those rules. So the "you shouldn't have done it" comments may not be very productive, but they are most certainly judgmental for a good reason.

Reactions: 6 users
Quick question, if you saw your grade tanking day by day (unlike all at once, like on exams), why on earth did you not start going?

If I were the professor, I'd absolutely HATE it that a native speaker took my class to meet a foreign language requirement (that's sort of like cheating), and be further butthurt that he disrespected me by not even showing up. That's adding insult to injury.

Go to your professor in person and grovel. Let him/her know that failing his/her class will potentially keep you out of medical school, and that you are a ___ ____ _ ____ (fill in your own) for doing this. Major, on your knees grade grovelling. Tears if you're female. Ask if you can take an incomplete or withdrawal for now and retake the class in summer school. Ask if you can do a research project or cultural project, or anything to not fail. Work your way up your university food chain as needed, grovelling the whole time. In person. Don't hide behind email for two reasons:
  1. It's easier to turn you down in writing over email, and
  2. It shows character to apologize in person and own your mistakes face to face.
Meanwhile, check out other options for taking the class. Online. Community College. Other University. Start the process of signing yourself up, just in case. Then, if you're sure that failing is unavoidable, call your medical school and grovel there. Own the mistake and explain your in-progress plans to fix it.

Good Luck --

Reactions: 5 users
Since this is your native language, can't you petition to have the requirement waived for your GE?

I'm trying to see if I can take a language exemption exam for credit instead, in the meantime.

Quick question, if you saw your grade tanking day by day (unlike all at once, like on exams), why on earth did you not start going?

The professor does not post grades so I didn't see my grade tanking each day. The way his class works is that he subtracts points for things you didn't do rather than for things you did wrong. So for instance, attendance is 15% and you start off with all those points. You get 3 free absences, but every absence after that is -3%, so if you miss 8 days out of the 28 days of class, you lose all of your attendance points, basically.

I'm not trying to defend myself, but that's honestly how my grade sunk so much. It's no excuse, but well...what's done is done. I'm just hoping he'll agree to meet with me in person to talk about my grade at the moment.

The professor does not post grades so I didn't see my grade tanking each day. The way his class works is that he subtracts points for things you didn't do rather than for things you did wrong. So for instance, attendance is 15% and you start off with all those points. You get 3 free absences, but every absence after that is -3%, so if you miss 8 days out of the 28 days of class, you lose all of your attendance points, basically.

I'm not trying to defend myself, but that's honestly how my grade sunk so much. It's no excuse, but well...what's done is done. I'm just hoping he'll agree to meet with me in person to talk about my grade at the moment.
I see, maybe my school is full of nerds but we always calculate grades ourselves to see where we stand. If you were getting As on exams, you should have figured out how much leverage you had to pass the class. If it was 20 percent, 20/3 = 7 absences, etc.
Anyways, the past is the past and I have a feeling it'll all work out for you.

Talk to your professor again, getting an acceptance revokes could seriously ruin your career aspirations. Spend every waking second studying for the class

This doesn't add up. If 15% is attendance, that means that you can still pass the class. 85% is like a B. You said this class was on your native language, so you could have done well with little effort.

This doesn't add up. If 15% is attendance, that means that you can still pass the class. 85% is like a B. You said this class was on your native language, so you could have done well with little effort.

My school has an attendance policy and something along the lines of what OP has. If we miss a certain amount of classes, we automatically fail. Maybe that is the case for OP.

I talked to my professor and after a lot of begging and apologizing, he agreed to let me do extra homework and assignments to make up my attendance grade as long as I prove that I'll work hard by getting above a 90% on the final. All's well that ends well! :)

But, I learned a lot from this incident. It was a stupid situation to find myself in, and I hope I never am this arrogant again. It's a good learning experience for me, and for anyone else in a similar situation.

Thank you everyone for your advice!

Reactions: 3 users
*Bump*

I have a similar situation except I already have my diploma. I decided to go back to take biochemistry because SUNY Upstate, SUNY Stony Brook, and 3 other schools I applied to now require biochem. I didn't anticipate getting many interviews when I initially signed up for the class in early summer-- as a result I've missed about one lecture per week.

Attendance is a non-issue, however, I am pretty sure I've tanked the first exam even though I've been as diligent as I could.

If I get an acceptance at a school that does not require biochem after withdrawing or taking a C- or an F in the class how likely would it be that my acceptance is rescinded?

*Bump*

I have a similar situation except I already have my diploma. I decided to go back to take biochemistry because SUNY Upstate, SUNY Stony Brook, and 3 other schools I applied to now require biochem. I didn't anticipate getting many interviews when I initially signed up for the class in early summer-- as a result I've missed about one lecture per week.

Attendance is a non-issue, however, I am pretty sure I've tanked the first exam even though I've been as diligent as I could.

If I get an acceptance at a school that does not require biochem after withdrawing or taking a C- or an F in the class how likely would it be that my acceptance is rescinded?
If you get accepted to a school that doesn't require biochem, it shouldn't matter if you withdraw from it. Failing courses is different because your GPA might fall below some minimum that school might want you to maintain. I don't think failing by itself is the problem so much as the possibly fatal fall in GPA, if applicable.

Someone else may have more info.

If you get accepted to a school that doesn't require biochem, it shouldn't matter if you withdraw from it. Failing courses is different because your GPA might fall below some minimum that school might want you to maintain. I don't think failing by itself is the problem so much as the possibly fatal fall in GPA, if applicable.

Someone else may have more info.

Thanks for the reply. It put me at ease a bit.

You've already graduated, which may make it a non-issue.

You may also want to talk to your professor and explain why you've been missing class and why you're even taking it. Your situation is different from the OPs in that your motives were completely valid/noble and your attendance issues were due to interviews, not laziness. Ask for additional study resources so you can improve your performance legitimately while missing classes where unavoidable. Where there's 'wiggle room', you might actually benefit from it.