Military Derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsmittyund03

Bob Schneider fan
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone is HPSP or USUHS, let me know if you have any questions with the military (in particular Army) derm match. I might be able to help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I was wondering about the military dermatology residency application process.

I've been told that prior military experience will add "points" to the application. And I know that this is a competitive specialty. How much of a difference does having prior service make if I am applying? Specifically--what percentage of dermatological residents at your hospital have prior military service?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

I was wondering about the military dermatology residency application process.

I've been told that prior military experience will add "points" to the application. And I know that this is a competitive specialty. How much of a difference does having prior service make if I am applying? Specifically--what percentage of dermatological residents at your hospital have prior military service?

You only get 1 or 2 extra points for prior service. This is an advantage, but it's a SMALL advantage.

In my Navy Derm residency, there was only 1 prior service guy out of 15 residents.

NOTE: Military Derm is just as competitive as civilian Derm. So you still need excellent med school grades and USMLE scores. Many accepted military Derm residents are AOA, just like the civilian guys. However, in recent years, the Army > Navy have had weaker applicants get accepted. I think this is because less med students joining military due to USA involvement in multiple wars (Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya)...so less competition. Army and Navy Dermatologists sometimes get sent to war too.

I am a first year student interested in derm and was wondering if there are any resources available to military students interested in derm. It has been difficult to find information on how to best prepare for applying to competitive residency spots within the military. Any information would be great, thank you!