military fellowship for guard members?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted480308

I know residency is only for those going active but can't find anything definitive on fellowships....any one know anything about the guard letting someone do a military based fellowship and stay in the guard instead getting pulled active?

Members don't see this ad.

When I inquired on someone's behalf several years ago, the answer I received was that a Guardsman would need to transition to active duty, remain active duty during fellowship, incur the same active duty obligation as everyone else, fulfill this duty obligation while on active duty, then transition back to Guard status to fulfill the remainder of any Guard obligation. If so desired, the remaining Guard obligation could be satisfied by active duty service after the obligation incurred from fellowship was paid back.

When I inquired on someone's behalf several years ago, the answer I received was that a Guardsman would need to transition to active duty, remain active duty during fellowship, incur the same active duty obligation as everyone else, fulfill this duty obligation while on active duty, then transition back to Guard status to fulfill the remainder of any Guard obligation. If so desired, the remaining Guard obligation could be satisfied by active duty service after the obligation incurred from fellowship was paid back.
ahhhh, so for a 1yr fellowship, I'd have to get permission to go active for the fellowship....I'd owe big army a year after the fellowship, then I'd have to either go back to the guard for my remainging service obligation or stay active and serve it that way?

that's actually a little more reasonable than I thought it would be.....interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Couple things that come to mind:

- You'd need permission from your state to defer your service. I've always heard that they would be willing to do so for active Army service, but I can't verify.
- When you switch to active Army voluntarily, I've been told it's a minimum two year hitch. I'm not sure if that would include time in fellowship or only afterwards.
- Unless you volunteered for active prior to applying to fellowship, my understanding is that Reserve Corps applicants are considered after the placement of applicants from within active service. So if you were gunning for a popular specialty in which there were more applicants than slots, you might be SOL. I know that was the policy for military residencies, maybe they have a different one for fellowships, but I'd be surprised.

Couple things that come to mind:

- You'd need permission from your state to defer your service. I've always heard that they would be willing to do so for active Army service, but I can't verify.
- When you switch to active Army voluntarily, I've been told it's a minimum two year hitch. I'm not sure if that would include time in fellowship or only afterwards.
- Unless you volunteered for active prior to applying to fellowship, my understanding is that Reserve Corps applicants are considered after the placement of applicants from within active service. So if you were gunning for a popular specialty in which there were more applicants than slots, you might be SOL. I know that was the policy for military residencies, maybe they have a different one for fellowships, but I'd be surprised.
it's not a thing I'd be crushed if it didn't happen.....but I like wilderness/tactical med and there is a fellowship at madigan. There are other ways to skin that cat via civilian match if I need to but I wanted to evaluate the options on the table. no one ever writes these stinking rules in a place that is easy to find so I'm glad there is at least a place like the milmed forum here