Military medicine and asthma

Chemistry>Physics

Puggy
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's an immediate DQ if you have asthma for enlisting/being an officer.

But is it still possible to join any military branch as a doctor with asthma? My asthma is noticeable and semi restricting. However I have a couple years before applying to med schoo to try and control it better. (I have exercise induced asthma).

Before answering: I've looked it up and even asked recruiters but I've had no luck. It always feels like a gray area. Military docs sometimes post things like "One of my buddies used an inhaler and no one cared". But I'm looking for a definitive answer because some $$ towards med school would be great.

Also moderators feel free to move this to an appropriate category. I couldn't find the military sub topic.

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps those in the Military Medicine forum will know more about this?

Do you want to join the military for the money towards medical school, or because you love the military? If it's the first, you might be better off taking student loans. You need to really believe in what the military stands for and have a strong desire to serve your country if you want to get the most out of military medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Look up AR 40-501. If you want "definitive", the regulation will get you as close as possible in writing. As Tired pointed out, waivers are possible, but it's needs of the Army.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, different branches may be more or less strict. Talk to different medical professionals in each branch to get a better understanding! Do more research!

I attempted to join the military in my last year of highschool, and during recruitment told them I had asthma: The army disqualified me, would not let me go for testing. I then applied to the marines, told them I had asthma, they sent me for methacholine testing, which I promptly failed and was almost sent to the hospital due to the incited asthma attack. I was given a slip stating I was disqualified from all branches of service.

Fast forward to medical school, I asked a recruiter if they would grant me waiver for being an MD, and he stated since I was disqualified, I needed a "letter from the surgeon general". My case may be different as I was dx with asthma at 16 y/o and have persistent symptoms.

I believe asthma immediately DQs, but the waiver process is a long and interesting one... I applied for both USUHS and HPSP (same branch) and was DQed by both for different (very mild/would not impact my ability to serve at all) reasons. For HPSP I had to fight to get a re-exam at all (and my recruiter was awesome) and for USUHS, the waiver paperwork was very straightforward. I think it depends a lot on who you have fighting for you-- a good recruiter definitely makes a difference.

I had asthma as a young teenager but it is gone for the most part and I have not had an attack in over a year and do not carry my inhaler anymore. This was never exercised-induced, and I am good shape, would this hurt my chances or possibly DQ me from becoming military physician?