Military Physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDocHopefl

TheFuture
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone is a current AFROTC cadet or officer and is a DO, my heart is set on both AFROTC and medicine, but im worried that if i get a spot in med school that i won't be able to be a physician because Air Force wants me to do something else.

so... if i get accepted to a med school, will they most likely let me go instead of doing something else? i think they need physicians really bad right now

Members don't see this ad.

Why in God's name would you want to be a military doc? As a fomer Air Force member, I strongly recommend you get out of the ROTC and run SCREAMING from AF Medicine

I can't speak to AFROTC but my wife was Army ROTC and did Army HPSP without any problems in Med school. And yes they are desperate for physicians.

Members don't see this ad :)
HAHAHA... well it sounds pretty equal right now... one positive and one negative! LOL

There's more than one reason for this: "And yes, they are desperate for physicians"

FutureDocHopefl said:
HAHAHA... well it sounds pretty equal right now... one positive and one negative! LOL

I simply said it was possible, with what I have seen recently I would not endorse going mil med for a wide variety of reason that are covered pretty extensively in this forum.

UltimateDO said:
I simply said it was possible, with what I have seen recently I would not endorse going mil med for a wide variety of reason that are covered pretty extensively in this forum.

dude,

enjoy your future deployments.

xTNS

DropkickMurphy said:
Why in God's name would you want to be a military doc? As a fomer Air Force member, I strongly recommend you get out of the ROTC and run SCREAMING from AF Medicine

I cant believe so many people went in to the military as medical personnel and were shocked when it was tough and had to put up with a lot of BS (AND I DEFINITELY agree that mil med can look like New Orleans at times)..If they were recruiting you to join, didn't that set off a light bulb in your head that something was up???..If the military were sooo great, they wouldn't need recruiters..How many recruiters does Harvard med school have to try to get people to attend their school? They prob dont have any; hence you should have known when you have people anxiously and annoyingly coming after you offering scholarship to join mil med..

Of course, I do appreciate all opinions, pro or con, as it does raise awareness. If anyone reads these forums, still decides to enter knowing all the BS and comes back years later whining, it will be your own fault..

Now, the older guys who didnt have this website or similar resources, I fully understand and I'll give them a break...But the newer guys who enter who read this site, beware..

USAF_Dentman said:
I cant believe so many people went in to the military as medical personnel and were shocked when it was tough and had to put up with a lot of BS (AND I DEFINITELY agree that mil med can look like New Orleans at times)..If they were recruiting you to join, didn't that set off a light bulb in your head that something was up???..If the military were sooo great, they wouldn't need recruiters..How many recruiters does Harvard med school have to try to get people to attend their school? They prob dont have any; hence you should have known when you have people anxiously and annoyingly coming after you offering scholarship to join mil med..

Of course, I do appreciate all opinions, pro or con, as it does raise awareness. If anyone reads these forums, still decides to enter knowing all the BS and comes back years later whining, it will be your own fault..

Now, the older guys who didnt have this website or similar resources, I fully understand and I'll give them a break...But the newer guys who enter who read this site, beware..

This is very insightful. If people actually read this forum, and they still join, they must have a very specific reason, other than medicine.

If this site was there when I joined, I would have found the money elsewhere. The $$$$, and the fact that I loved airplanes, and was NAIVE as hell, is why I ended up there. I also had the idea that it was a quality organization looking for excellence. All that changed, and it started with TRICARE.

I highly encourage anyone considering the military to read this forum thoroughly, search it, and call people up and ask current questions. IF someone does this with even a minimal effort, the conclusions should be pretty clear, military medicine right now is not a good option at all.

I was young, dumb and needed the money.

That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

You young bucks have no excuse with this forum available to you.

xTNS

Having done it and speaking from experience, don't you do it, unless you wish to make a mistake with your life. Read my posts.

Joining the military and getting a great experience, training, money, and life's happiness? It ain't there... but go ahead and sign up... some people need to touch the hot stove.... just listening to mom tellin' you not to do it isn't enough.....you know what? bad analogy.... taking the hpsp scholarship was more like having sex with the Haitian prostitute.... maybe it won't be such a bad thing....

former military said:
Joining the military and getting a great experience, training, money, and life's happiness? It ain't there... but go ahead and sign up... some people need to touch the hot stove.... just listening to mom tellin' you not to do it isn't enough.....you know what? bad analogy.... taking the hpsp scholarship was more like having sex with the Haitian prostitute.... maybe it won't be such a bad thing....

:laugh:

I'm starting to see the light of all these posts. I just want to clarify that all this negativity is across the board in specialities. I know a lot that I read early on were surgery or FP. I want to do IM or PEDS. I just want to make sure the angst includes those too for all three branches...

MicroBugs said:
I'm starting to see the light of all these posts. I just want to clarify that all this negativity is across the board in specialities. I know a lot that I read early on were surgery or FP. I want to do IM or PEDS. I just want to make sure the angst includes those too for all three branches...

Trust us, there is angst everywhere. The problems within MTF's are not simply isolated to just certain specialties/departments, because the whole system is broken.