Military Radiologists: How Much Can You Supplement Your Income with Moonlighting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LTMCUSN

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seems like $300-400 hourly from what I’m reading but I’m pretty unfamiliar with the typical shifts available in telerads- are there telerads opportunities for 1-2 hours a night after work or am I relegated to 8-12 hr shifts on weekends?

Members don't see this ad.

Man that number is going to vary a lot depending on the gig and the job market when you are looking to start moonlighting but I don’t think you’ll find 300-400 an hour doing part time teleradiology with those kinds of hours. I think a more realistic number is around 200 to maybe 250 an hour. The more you read per hour hour the more you make but the types of jobs that pay more per RVU tend toward actual shift coverage. (Like I maybe 2500 to cover an 8 hour shift but you are the only one there)

As for if you can find a job doing 1-2 hours a night, they definitely exist though I think most want you working a little longer (maybe more like 4hours) and a lot will have a minimum number they want you to work per month. I don’t currently moonlight though (wife’s job currently keeping her busier than me and so really no time or energy after taking care of the kids) so try asking around at work to get an idea about what people are doing.

Reactions: 1 user
Most telerad gigs will try to sell you on a longer shift, but you can negotiate or find jobs for shorter periods of time. 1-2 hours might be a stretch, unless it's work you pick up in addition to more regular and longer shifts. 4-5 hrs is often a reasonable evening shift for moonlighting.

Some work is study based rather than time, so they send you bundle of exams to read. How long it takes it up to you.

Telerad is going to be more in the range of 200-350, but will vary significantly on who you are working for/with (a PP group, hospital, telerad corp). All of those options come with various positives and negatives.

Onsite locums pays significantly more, but depending on where you are stationed it may include a decent amount of travel. If you want to do more than burn a weekend, it also involves sacrificing leave.

Seems like $300-400 hourly from what I’m reading but I’m pretty unfamiliar with the typical shifts available in telerads- are there telerads opportunities for 1-2 hours a night after work or am I relegated to 8-12 hr shifts on weekends?

Most of my radiology friends are making around $2k / day. I don’t know of any of them doing hourly work at night/etc. Some do it in local area and others travel a little and maybe do up to a week at a time.