Military Residency Service Commitment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KilgoreSnout

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've done some googling and searching and am still not sure I have this down 100%:

I am currently serving in a not medicine MOS. Suppose I were to do HPSP / HSCP and incur a 4 year service commitment. If I go into flight or dive medicine for a 3 year tour before military residency, do I finish a military residency with only one year of service remaining? In other words, does a military residency incur any service commitment?

Members don't see this ad.

In that scenario you would finish residency with an obligation equivalent to the length of your residency. Military residency incurs a one for one commitment. (Which is served concurrently with the obligation you have from HPSP)

Can this be served concurrently with the existing HPSP/HSCP commitment? Is it the same rules and commitment if one does a civilian residency?

You will finish residency with a commitment of how ever long your residency is. I did internship, 3 year gmo, 3 year anesthesia residency, and am paying back my 3 year commitment. At 10 years active duty, I can either walk away or sign a new contract.